bike tech

Old September 9th 12, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default bike tech

Cool! Tires and chains - now we're talkin'.

Somebody saw me riide up the other day, and said my bike (Surly LHT -
upgraded here-and-there) was the coolest bike they ever saw (like the
sweet Soma I saw at McDonalds the other day, I guess). I acknowledged
that it *is* a nice bike, but not the sort of lightweight high-end
racing bike they probably were thinking. of

In fact nearly everything on my bike is commodity quality stuff -
except for the tires and chain lube (and pedals - which were a really
great second-hand score cheap)- the things where the rubber meets the
road, so to speak. Like so many things, I bought Vittoria Randonneur
Hyper tires even though they were the ~most expensive; but man they
feel nice!
Old September 9th 12, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, September 9, 2012 6:28:45 AM UTC+1, Dan O wrote:
Cool! Tires and chains - now we're talkin'.

Somebody saw me riide up the other day, and said my bike (Surly LHT -

upgraded here-and-there) was the coolest bike they ever saw (like the

sweet Soma I saw at McDonalds the other day, I guess). I acknowledged

that it *is* a nice bike, but not the sort of lightweight high-end

racing bike they probably were thinking. of

In fact nearly everything on my bike is commodity quality stuff -

except for the tires and chain lube (and pedals - which were a really

great second-hand score cheap)- the things where the rubber meets the

road, so to speak. Like so many things, I bought Vittoria Randonneur

Hyper tires even though they were the ~most expensive; but man they

feel nice!

Nobody actually *needs* better than Deore.

Andre Jute
Old September 9th 12, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

ahhh Deore.....life is short, Deore isnot.

yaknow when I restarted adult cycling with a shade tree auto background in Volvo post war, the bike was an unreadable object...as noted in the local Cannondale shop when I walked in to gloom their doorstop a hotrod mid '60's Columbia stripped style Cannon frame.

What does the man on the street see ? when he's not trying to pickup on Dano ?

Izzit the common run of bikes seen in the LBS. "Like' do the designers have it right ? Whose on top salewise, what does it look like as a class...silkroad ?

I pondered that seveal days ago as again I was takin by a used Cannon leaning against a wall..in the same style as my gone Columbia off course.

Cannon's designer does have a knack for it like Honda.

I'm headed to Tampa for dolphin kayaking. The category on Gandy Blvd, a long causway across the bay is time trial frames !!!

doahn know nuthin abt time trial frames....compare to sports touring ? and the arguement welll if you're headed in a straight line 95% then why go MTB ? stump jumper ?
Old September 9th 12, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 9, 7:00*am, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I used to say XT for hubs, but I built some Deores in 2010 and the
seal and bearing race quality is outstanding. For derailleurs, I'd
tour with a Tourney if that's all I had in the parts bucket. Really
doesn't matter.
Old September 9th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 9/9/2012 7:00 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

Nobody actually *needs* better than Deore.

I am still peeved at Shimano for dropping the deer head Deore logo:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2393/2481844246_ce6e67ace3_z.jpg.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!

Old September 9th 12, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 9/9/2012 1:42 PM, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Timex.

Mid-level SRAM is also good on the price/performance ratio.

Old September 10th 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Deore Casio Timex

Gentlemen, do contain yourselves. The least expensive decent watch is without question Citizen. I wear one almost daily: http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewatches.html
Old September 10th 12, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
Deore Casio Timex

Gentlemen, do contain yourselves. The least expensive decent watch is
without question Citizen. I wear one almost daily:
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewatches.html

Based on a tiny sample, but using good test methodology:
http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2276.pdf
Have to go for Timex.
Kerry

Old September 10th 12, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, September 10, 2012 3:47:11 AM UTC+1, Kerry Montgomery wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Deore Casio Timex

Gentlemen, do contain yourselves. The least expensive decent watch is

without question Citizen. I wear one almost daily:

http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewatches.html

Based on a tiny sample, but using good test methodology:

http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2276.pdf

Have to go for Timex.

Kerry

Thanks for that, Kerry. The Citizen illustrated in my reference was later redesigned to take its time signal from the various atomic clocks around the world. I looked into it at the time and decided the one I had was more than good enough, and I didn't need a larger and heavier watch. -- AJ