New bike for Jay

Old September 14th 17, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default New bike for Jay

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:53:04 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 04:07:08 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 3:27:34 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

This appears to be my only option for a fast, safe bike:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1478720465
According to Grant, it comes with disc brakes:
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

I'm ordering today and waiting the 6-9 months because my safety is important.

Good! It's about time you became cool.

- Frank Krygowski

The extra down tube makes it 50% safer than your regular bike.

Given that the normal bicycle frame is comprised of 7 tubes wouldn't
adding one more make the formula something like 8/7, or only 14%
stronger :-?
--
Cheers,

John B.

We can argue the fine details, but either way, the conclusion has to be
SAFETY!
:-)

or, I'm told, Carbon Fiber :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 14th 17, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 3:27:34 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

This appears to be my only option for a fast, safe bike:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1478720465
According to Grant, it comes with disc brakes:
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

I'm ordering today and waiting the 6-9 months because my safety is important.

Good! It's about time you became cool.

- Frank Krygowski

The extra down tube makes it 50% safer than your regular bike.

Given that the normal bicycle frame is comprised of 7 tubes wouldn't
adding one more make the formula something like 8/7, or only 14%
stronger :-?
--
Cheers,

John B.

To a framebuilder, a complete boxed tube set is eleven tubes.

Bicycle:
Top, Seat, down, seat (2), chain (2), fork legs(2), steerer, head :-)

But when one brags about the super light "frame" that they just
finished they do not include the fork :-)

The light weight "audax" type bike I built (from tubes) has a 1700 gm.
frame :-) and a 680 gm fork :-(

I brag occasionally about the frame, although it certainly isn't the
lightest possible and ignore the forks :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 14th 17, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 3:27:34 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

This appears to be my only option for a fast, safe bike:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1478720465
According to Grant, it comes with disc brakes:
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

I'm ordering today and waiting the 6-9 months because my safety is important.

Good! It's about time you became cool.

- Frank Krygowski

The extra down tube makes it 50% safer than your regular bike.

Given that the normal bicycle frame is comprised of 7 tubes wouldn't
adding one more make the formula something like 8/7, or only 14%
stronger :-?
--
Cheers,

John B.

To a framebuilder, a complete boxed tube set is eleven tubes.

Crap. Now I'm really confused.
2 seat stays
2 chain stays
Seat tube
Bottom bracket (or doesn't this count as a tube?)
Top tube
Down tube
Head tube

And optionally
2 fork blades
Steerer

So I get either 9 or 12. Which piece is optional?

The bottom bracket is usually listed separately and not as a tube.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 14th 17, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

OK, that aligns our counts a little better. Thanks.

Old September 14th 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Touring Langerhans ..

goo.gl/AH4w4y

I am impressed by Jackson Hole's bike facility for grand loop riding...late in the season last week August to now

and canoe the upper Snake. Hike up a canyon ...