Belt drive

Old April 29th 19, 08:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Belt drive

On 2019-04-26 08:33, AMuzi wrote:

That's true but how different to the rider from a broken chain,
driveshaft, crank or pedal?

Chains usually do not snap without some serious lack of maintenance or
running them way past prime. Never heard of a driveshaft break except
once on a heavy vehicle (bus). Belts usually snap out of the blue.

Out cycling one day I came upon a Ford F150 or F250 perhaps, where the
driver had come to a stop at a side road to my left. Before I rode in
front, the driver revved the engine and, I assume, dumped the clutch.
There was a bang and ting ting ting sound, as the broken drive shaft
continued to spin while the vehicle remained practically stationary.

I know of a front wheel drive vehicle that suffered a broken drive shaft.

I broke a shaft in a gearbox once. It's a shaft. It broke.

--
JS
Old April 29th 19, 09:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 28/04/2019 23.07, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 07:46:33 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-27 15:55, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 07:59:25 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-26 16:12, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:27:05 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-25 16:32, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 14:16:28 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he is
building. What is good about them? You have to have the exact
length for your bike, and if it breaks, it is very expensive
to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

Imagine it would be much heavier and complicated, they have been
tried and used on MTB but don’t seem to have been cracked, I
think generally the extra weight/cost though a E-MTB would
mitigate that?

Motorcycle manufacturers have figured it out, most of all BMW.
That company should also build MTB, they know how it's done. Weight
doesn't always matter, especially not for many MTB riders. We just
want less wear and most importanly not have to clean and lube the
chain every 50 miles.

It often takes the bicycle industry decades longer to figure
something out. Such as decent heavy-duty rack space on FS MTB and
central-battery powered lighting where, no surprise, I had to build
it all myself. Beats me why one still cannot buy this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG

It's lasted many thousand hard miles now which included heavy
loads. Yeah, that bike is heavy but it never breaks down anymore.

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute as I
clock up fairly respectable distances per day which does chew
though the drive chain.

I'd be careful ...

https://www.thelocal.se/20180524/ike...-lead-to-falls

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Weight of an MTB doesn't matter? What a crock full of El Toro Poo
Poo! Maybe weight doesn't matter in your world but it sure does to a
LOT of other MTB users. I keep telling you Joerg; your best bet to
get the durability that you say YOU need is to buy a small gasoline
powered dirt motorcycle and convert it to pedal power. After all,
weight doesn't matter to you.

Within reason, of course. There are people who rather ride a bicycle
that weighs 10lbs more than customary but in contrast to others they
generally arrive at their destinations on time, due to a lack of
breakdowns. I happen to be one of those.

The only times during the last years (!) that I didn't arrive on time
were when I assisted others during repairs. Because they didn't have
thorn-resistant tubes et cetera.

But Joerg, I ride a conventional steel frame bicycle and I haven't had
a breakdown, or even something that came loose so I couldn't ride, in
20 years or more. In fact, in thinking back I can't even remember a
time that my bike broke and I couldn't ride it.

No flats in 20 years?

I didn't say anything about flat tires but I don't judge a flat tire
to be a "breakdown" or "came loose"

A flat tire without any tools _is_ a breakdown. He get to hoof it out of
the wilderness for then next 10-20 miles.

But in all the years I've been riding a bicycle I have NEVER had a
flat tire that I couldn't fix in a matter of minutes. Way back in the
old "sew-up" tire days you didn't even need any tools. Fix it with
your bare hands.

Now try that with a Gatorskin or a Vee Rubber 700c 25mm. Yeah, it can be
done but you won't be able to feel some of your fingertips for a while.

I bought a pair of Gatorskin tires, oh probably 10 years ago, and
contrary to their advertised proof against flats promptly had two
flats in less than 5 Km of riding. I haven't used a gatorskin since.
As for Vee tires, I have the feeling that they are a very cheap Thai
made tire or at least I saw some for sale in a store called "Super
Cheap" for something like 3 dollars each, so I don't use those either.

This is also my experience of them, albeit a long time ago.

I've been told that the cheap tires in Thailand all made from a
rubber mix that contains a lot of carbon black, which makes them
harder and they wear less and thus are very well regarded by those who
can't afford to buy tires frequently. Unfortunately hard tires also
"grip the road" less well and have minimal traction.

The Marathon 'Tour' type tyres are remarkably hard wearing, and if you
get wider ones, I at least have experience no grip problems.

Old April 29th 19, 09:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 28/04/2019 23.29, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 15:01:56 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

John B. wrote:
:On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 07:27:33 -0700, Joerg
:wrote:

:On 2019-04-26 16:20, John B. wrote:
: On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:40:39 -0700, Joerg
: wrote:
:
: On 2019-04-25 16:27, John B. wrote:
: On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 12:22:41 -0700, Joerg
: wrote:
:
:
:[...]
:
:
: It's lasted many thousand hard miles now which included heavy loads.
: Yeah, that bike is heavy but it never breaks down anymore.
:
: The carbon-fiber bicycles are so popular is because they are light :-)
:
: I doubt that marketing a bike because it is heavier than all the rest
: would be a real smart marketing move :-)
:
:
: No, it has to be marketed as sturdier than the others. That gets
: customers. Why do you think heavy SUVs sell so well in some areas?
:
: The reason that USV's were invented was to circumvent U.S.
: regulations about fuel economy (if I remember correctly). By building
: a vehicle on a truck chassis and classifying it as a truck the fuel
: consumption limits for automobiles didn't apply.
:
:
:That sounds like fake news. My SUV is classified as a passenger vehicle,
:else it would require a different kind of license plate like the pickup
:truck of a neighbor does. He also has to pay more tax on it.

:No it isn't. I was alive and well when the SUV's were "invented" and
:it was common knowledge then. the first vehicle stated to be a SYV
:seems to have been the International Harvester Travelall in 1956
credited as being the first full-size SUV).

Land-Rover were selling long wheelbase models with station wagon
bodies before that.

Several companies built things that could have been called SUV's but
they weren't. The first "SUV's" were invented - a pickup frame and
running gear with a car body - specifically to evade U.S. regulations
about fuel consumption.

Similar thing was true in Norway for a while where vans incurred less
tax. Definition of a van? No rear windows. So a cottage industry
sprung up with high tech black sticky tape to get what was a car in any
way you looked at it, classified as a van. Didn't last long, you pays
your taxes one way or another...

Old April 29th 19, 10:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

There's a remarkable amount of misinformation being thrown about here.

The Land Rover long wheelbase closed model with the little curved windows above the doors was not a relative of a modern SUV; it lacked the power and the sophistication and comfort.

The modern SUV originated in the LM002 fast desert car Lamborghini built around their V12 engine for an Arab army. They did not call it an SUV but a "personnel carrier". They sold a few to private individuals to recoup their design and development costs.

Andre Jute
Meanwhile back at the monkey farm
Old April 29th 19, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

John B. wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 19:42:11 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 15:15:48 -0700, John B.
wrote:

Good Lord! You say that you are riding a bicycle, not on some sort of
odyssey where one needs to carry provisions. Just eat, than ride, than
eat when you get home again. I used to do 4 to 6 hour rides without
stopping for lunch. You obviously can't do this on tea and toast but a
good breakfast should see you through to lunch. Or at least it used to
back in the day when farmers actually worked all day :-)

I have to be fed every four hours. It was worse when I weighed a
hundred and twenty on a frame that now carries a hundred and sixty
pounds and a lot less muscle -- I had to keep a hard candy in my mouth
most of the time that I was riding, or I'd feel like a puppet with cut
strings when I got off the bike at home.

Riding 4-6 hours at any sort of pace with no nourishment is a recipe for
bonking for most people. I’m too lazy to prepare dried fruits and stuff
so I take a cliff bar and and energy shots.

Never needed a Swiss Army knife with a can opener though. Don’t carry
cans. Even when I used to tour I used dried meals that were pretty decent
but light weight.

Really? I ask as my wife (75 years, 5'4", ~65 kg.) eats two meals a
day and seems to get along pretty well. But she is a Buddhist and one
of the Buddhists beliefs is that gluttony is a sin :-)

Admirable. But not really relevant if she’s not cycling any distance.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 29th 19, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 2:26:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 9:12:38 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

Chains usually do not snap without some serious lack of maintenance or
running them way past prime. Never heard of a driveshaft break except
once on a heavy vehicle (bus). Belts usually snap out of the blue.

I've been on two rides where bicycle chains broke. One was mine. Hit a small bump/curb on the trail when crossing a street and the chain jumped off its cogs/pulleys/rings and got lodged somehow and it broke when I started pedaling again. Used the chain tool to remove the broken link and put in one of the quick links to reconnect everything. Other time was on a group ride and one of the riders broke his chain. I used my chain tool to remove the broken link and gave him my quick link to put everything back together.. Took a few minutes on the side of the road to get everything working again. But it was all resolved successfully. So people who think chains don't break on rides are living in some make believe fantasy land.

I broke one on a mountain bike ride when I missed a sudden shift to the granny.
My wife cracked one quick link a couple years ago. I remember one club ride
where someone broke a chain.

So I can't say chains don't break. But I can say that those are the only
incidents I remember since 1972, when I started adult riding. That includes
many hundreds of club rides with anywhere from three to a couple dozen people.
That includes my decades of running, then sagging a fair-sized century ride..
(We had up to 600 riders.)

So I'm talking about 3 chains in hundreds of thousands of rider miles, I'm sure. It's not a common event.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 29th 19, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-25 11:00, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
[...]

I never use them anymore either. I found them a bit undersized, a bear
to get on. The running surface is sturdy and no flats there. Also, one
of them made it to a record 2500mi while no others ever exceeded 2000mi
by much on the rear. However, all other Gatorskins I had failed
prematurely in their sidewalls and that's what makes them unacceptable
to me.

As for Vee tires, I have the feeling that they are a very cheap Thai
made tire or at least I saw some for sale in a store called "Super
Cheap" for something like 3 dollars each, so I don't use those either.

Just because something is cheap does not mean it is a bad product.

I've been told that the cheap tires in Thailand all made from a
rubber mix that contains a lot of carbon black, which makes them
harder and they wear less and thus are very well regarded by those who
can't afford to buy tires frequently. Unfortunately hard tires also
"grip the road" less well and have minimal traction.

I do not need Tour de France level cornering performance and found them
to be quite adequate for riding. Especially the MTB tires because there
durability and sturdiness counts a lot more than sqeezing the last tenth
of an mph out of a ride.

On both the road bike and the MTB I want beefy sidewalls and so far
tires made in Thailand gave me that, plus a decent number of miles in
terms of wear.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 29th 19, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-28 15:19, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 09:51:42 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-27 15:51, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 07:54:56 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-25 15:48, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:

[...]

It often takes the bicycle industry decades longer to
figure something
out. Such as decent heavy-duty rack space on FS MTB
and central-battery
powered lighting where, no surprise, I had to build
it all myself. Beats
me why one still cannot buy this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG

Probably because if your using the bike differently to
others, my commute
bike though a hardtail is closer to that set up with
panniers and a barbag
as I found the weight on the rear effected the
handling though with the
weight spread even fully Laden the bike can be some
fun in the woods if one
wants.

But for the Nice MTB I don’t need to take so much gear
and as a leisure
rather than transport it’s a much nicer ride unladen.

Even during fun rides I carry a full tool kit, a big
lock, some spare
parts and most of all water. The water alone can be
north of a gallon in
summer because many MTB trails have no opportunity to
refill (safely).

How often or likely is a full tool kit needed?
Personally I do take some
Allen keys but can’t remember the last time they where
needed.

You could have asked the guy whose shifter cable snapped
and the limit
screws had Allen heads so were not adjustable via Swiss
Army knife.

Err... the five Allan wrenches that I carry allow me to
tighten or
loosen every threaded fastener on the bike and weigh
considerably less
than a "Swiss Army Knife". ...

If you have the right size among them. I like to have it
all. Now in the shape of a Crankbrothers M19 tool which ...
drum roll ... even contains a chain breaker.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19

Plus a Swiss Army knife. Always. And a first aid kit. And a
lock. And ...

... But of course I can't fight off a
raging
mountain lion with my Allan wrench....

Or a rattlesnake. The other shortcoming of Allen wrenches is
that they do not have a bottle opener or corkscrew. They
also lack a can opener, for example, if you like to have
anchovies on your sandwich.

You can't foresee every potential hazard. Ride with a snake bite kit,
Narcan, Cipro, a pistol, flares, iodine tablets? Sheesh I don't.

I know I should have added a smiley.

... As the
great sage Willie Dixon wrote about a $50 bill, "Grant will get you out
of whatever you're in". Traveling light works for me, YMMV.

That part of my baggage is for beer. Strictly beer. And maybe a pretzel
with Obatzda or at least some melted cheese.

So you are a lush that can't function for even a short time without a
drink?

Another one of your premature conclusions. The last ride with beer was
45mi at an average speed of 15mph, running average more like 17mph. Is
that your definition of a lush? Having a beer with the guys is part of a
fun, a social event.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 29th 19, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Good Lord! You say that you are riding a bicycle, not on some sort of
odyssey where one needs to carry provisions. Just eat, than ride, than
eat when you get home again. I used to do 4 to 6 hour rides without
stopping for lunch. You obviously can't do this on tea and toast but a
good breakfast should see you through to lunch. Or at least it used to
back in the day when farmers actually worked all day :-)

I have to be fed every four hours. It was worse when I weighed a
hundred and twenty on a frame that now carries a hundred and sixty
pounds and a lot less muscle -- I had to keep a hard candy in my mouth
most of the time that I was riding, or I'd feel like a puppet with cut
strings when I got off the bike at home.

Riding 4-6 hours at any sort of pace with no nourishment is a recipe for
bonking for most people. ...

Exactly. A bonk is no fun especially if you need to be back by a certain
time and your body refuses to deliver the Watts required for that. BTDT
and to make matters worse the last 15mi were in the hills. Same for
riding 4-6h on a sunny 105F day with no more than a couple of water
bottles and no chance of replenishing anywhere.

... I’m too lazy to prepare dried fruits and stuff
so I take a cliff bar and and energy shots.

I carry a sandwich from home-baked bread prepared by my sweetheart.
Other riders often have to suppress a drool when they see that.

Never needed a Swiss Army knife with a can opener though.

The standard ones all have that, it is required for any army purpose.
It's shown he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNGtJ5a42Pk

... Don’t carry
cans. Even when I used to tour I used dried meals that were pretty decent
but light weight.

It's just that the regular knives have it and opening a small
(lightweight) can of anchovies does add a nice gourmet touch to lunch
during a ride. I haven't yet carried white table linen but my wife and I
once did during a camping trip in a National Park and that turned some
heads :-)

Really? I ask as my wife (75 years, 5'4", ~65 kg.) eats two meals a
day and seems to get along pretty well. But she is a Buddhist and one
of the Buddhists beliefs is that gluttony is a sin :-)

Admirable. But not really relevant if she’s not cycling any distance.

Especially if cycling hard, a few hours at elevated heart rate. That
needs fuel no matter what.

Regarding gluttony most of us do sin though and, full confession, that
includes me. I could and should drop another 20lbs. That's in the works.
At older age it is a fine line. During a recent MTB ride where I ate
only one lunch sandwich instead of the two like in the olden days I
started feeling a bonk coming up during the last 5mi. Slowed down a bit,
got home, but almost had to throw up. So that was too close.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 29th 19, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-25 16:23, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:00:49 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
wrote:

[...]

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute
as I clock up
fairly respectable distances per day which does chew
though the drive
chain.

See:
https://momentummag.com/commuter-bik...-carbon-drive/

https://www.veercycle.com/
or perhaps even better see
https://www.cyclingabout.com/belt-dr...manufacturers/

I wouldn't want a belt drive. If that belt snaps it
generally does so without warning and then it can be a nasty
crash.

That's true but how different to the rider from a broken chain,
driveshaft, crank or pedal?

Chains usually do not snap without some serious lack of maintenance or
running them way past prime. Never heard of a driveshaft break except
once on a heavy vehicle (bus). Belts usually snap out of the blue.

As for cranks a friend of mine had an expensive Campagnolo crank break
and it was clearly a manufacturing defect but they refused to even do a
warranty exchange. He landed towards the middle of the road but luckily
no cars came along.

I've broken four or five Campy NR cranks, two or three Shimano
Ultegra cranks, an Ofmega track crank, an old Stronglight 93. I had
two CF cranks with pedal eyes that cracked and separated from the CF
layup (SRAM Red and FSA). I bent first generation Dura Ace/Look pedal
spindle, snapped a Ti ER platform pedal spindle, snapped a spindle on
a Look pedal. I broke chains, but usually because I had been sloppy
reinstalling a pin or because a shift side-loaded a quick link.
Conventional drive trains can and do break. I've scootered home or to
the nearest bike shop or hitch-hiked (broken too-light-for-touring
5sp chain in the middle of nowhere Washington) too many times. BTW,
none of those failures landed me on the road, even though all of the
crank failures were during out of the saddle efforts.

-- Jay Beattie.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/jayscranks.html

Yikes! And here people are saying that I am the buy breaking bike parts.
I never managed to break a crank yet I am what many cyclists probably
would consider a clyde and also often ride with cargo in hilly terrain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What is the case with belt drive? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 62 October 27th 09 08:42 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 22nd 08 12:40 AM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 10:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 10:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 10:53 PM