Remaining tire life

Old August 14th 20, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Remaining tire life

I am looking for a ballpark estimate as to how many miles I have left on this rear tire

https://imgur.com/a/qVxT684

Thanks.
Old August 14th 20, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

AK wrote:

I am looking for a ballpark estimate as to how many miles I have left on this rear tire

https://imgur.com/a/qVxT684

Thanks.

Looks rather perished, rather depends on how brave you are, once tyres get
too worn they tend to get rather porous, I’d guess 500/1000 depends on how
durable the tyres are?

My Gravel bike it’s tyres are looking very tatty now 2K so I’d imagine I’d
get some new ones before winter, where as my commute bike at 5k they have
few war wounds but is fine.

Roger Merriman

Old August 17th 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 5:42:24 AM UTC+1, AK wrote:
I am looking for a ballpark estimate as to how many miles I have left on this rear tire

https://imgur.com/a/qVxT684

Thanks.

If it is a Schwalbe tyre, you can officially run it until the anti-puncture layer starts showing. Any other kind of tyre, it depends on what use your will put it to. If you need the knobs for forward motion, the tyre is done right now. If you need the knobs for cornering on some particular surface, there's perhaps a thousand miles left in the tyre. If you have another bike that uses a tyre the same size which runs on slicks, you can slice off the remaining knobs on the sides and get another worthwhile chunk of use out of the tyre.

Andre Jute
8500km on a set of Schwalbe Big Apple lightweight folding tyres
Old August 18th 20, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Have you actually sliced off knobs on a MTB tire?

Sounds a little tricky and time consuming.

:-)

Andy
Old August 18th 20, 08:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 1:30:49 AM UTC+1, AK wrote:
Have you actually sliced off knobs on a MTB tire?

Sounds a little tricky and time consuming.

:-)

Andy

Not an MTB tyre. But as a young auto racer, I sliced the tread off common road tyres to make slicks. And when I first switched over to Schwalbe's Big Apple balloons, i shaved off the decorative, thin, tread, just to see if it made a difference. Answer: not much, and in time the tyres wear down against the road to that stage anyway. Worth the time and the blunted lathe chisels? Of course not. By the time I had brought my tools back up to the same status as before, Robert Sorby was shopping for a bigger BMW.

Tire Shelf Life Solomander Techniques 13 June 3rd 09 05:57 AM
Tire Life [email protected] General 19 June 16th 06 05:40 AM
Tire life. Chronos Techniques 29 June 26th 05 04:54 AM
Road tire life span cheg Techniques 77 June 25th 04 06:44 AM
Flat tire may have saved my life! (long) Greg Evans General 4 August 16th 03 11:31 PM