Better design to adjust brake pads

Old August 16th 20, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Better design to adjust brake pads

I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy
Old August 16th 20, 08:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 16/08/2020 04:18, AK wrote:
I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

These days most progressive people opt for width adjustable rims which
has the advantage you can fit wider tyres.

Old August 16th 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/15/2020 9:18 PM, AK wrote:
I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy

Great idea! Maybe you could devise some brake adjuster
which the rider could manipulate, without tools, while
riding. The world is waiting!

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-...000&h=1000&a=7

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 16th 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 8/15/2020 9:18 PM, AK wrote:
I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy

Great idea! Maybe you could devise some brake adjuster
which the rider could manipulate, without tools, while
riding. The world is waiting!

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-...000&h=1000&a=7

That’s just crazy Andrew. That will never catch on.

Old August 16th 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 19:18:54 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy

Errr... my brakes all have an adjustment "screw" which does exactly
that.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 17th 20, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 16/08/2020 22:36, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 8/15/2020 9:18 PM, AK wrote:
I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy

Great idea! Maybe you could devise some brake adjuster
which the rider could manipulate, without tools, while
riding. The world is waiting!

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-...000&h=1000&a=7

That’s just crazy Andrew. That will never catch on.

Exactly. In my day an umbrella was good enough, if that broke a stout
walking stick, or even an honestly acquired branch. No messing about
with adjustment ****e, worked every time.

Old August 17th 20, 11:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

AK wrote:
I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy

All cable brake systems will need to be adjusted and normally have a barrel
adjuster.

V-brakes are bit fiddly, but if set up they are fine, but they have had
their day in the sun.

Disk brakes took over from V brakes from about 20 years or so ago

One of the advantages of hydraulic systems it adjusts for pad wear.

Roger Merriman

Old August 17th 20, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 5:01:29 AM UTC-5, Roger Merriman wrote:
AK wrote:
I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy

All cable brake systems will need to be adjusted and normally have a barrel
adjuster.

V-brakes are bit fiddly, but if set up they are fine, but they have had
their day in the sun.

Disk brakes took over from V brakes from about 20 years or so ago

One of the advantages of hydraulic systems it adjusts for pad wear.

Roger Merriman

Can my rear brakes be converted to disc brakes?

If so, how expensive?

Andy
Old August 17th 20, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

AK wrote:
I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy

All cable brake systems will need to be adjusted and normally have a barrel
adjuster.

V-brakes are bit fiddly, but if set up they are fine, but they have had
their day in the sun.

Disk brakes took over from V brakes from about 20 years or so ago

One of the advantages of hydraulic systems it adjusts for pad wear.

Roger Merriman

Can my rear brakes be converted to disc brakes?

If so, how expensive?

Andy

Sure you can convert to disc brakes. It involves getting a new frame and a new rear and front wheel if your existing frame does not have disc brake mounts.

Cheers
Old August 17th 20, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AK wrote:
I have V-brakes and quite frankly, it is a pain to adjust them when they wear down.

It looks the same for other brake styles.

Can not someone come up with a better system?

Like adjust a nut to make the pads closer to the rim.

Andy

All cable brake systems will need to be adjusted and normally have a barrel
adjuster.

V-brakes are bit fiddly, but if set up they are fine, but they have had
their day in the sun.

Disk brakes took over from V brakes from about 20 years or so ago

One of the advantages of hydraulic systems it adjusts for pad wear.

Roger Merriman

Can my rear brakes be converted to disc brakes?

If so, how expensive?

Andy

Requirements include different frame, fork, wheels and a
disc brake set. As much or as little as you like.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-2...lack/651876804

That BSO has one disc brake (!) but it's cheaper than a
decent set of hydraulic discs alone:

https://www.outsidepursuits.com/best-mtb-brakes/

brake pads too low mark Techniques 9 September 26th 10 09:50 AM
How the hell do I adjust the pad on this brake? Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 Techniques 26 March 22nd 07 01:16 PM
Brake pads... which ones? Moo Mountain Biking 0 August 16th 06 11:05 PM
Brake Pads Lee UK 8 February 18th 04 12:34 AM
How to adjust cable tension for Shimano V-brake? David Pintos Mountain Biking 1 September 11th 03 12:18 AM