Pros and Cons of Medal Pedals

Old April 9th 04, 04:23 AM
tylercox

Default Pros and Cons of Medal Pedals

What are the pros and cons of medal pedals like this one?

--
tylercox
tylercox's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

Old April 9th 04, 04:42 AM
chirokid

Hi Tyler, welcome to the RSU forums.

I grew up riding plastic pedals. They were very slick, especially when
you got your shoes wet. Then I upgraded to some plastic BMX style
pedals, they had little nubs that helped to hold my feet on the pedals.
This was a great improvement.

Later, I was introduced to medal pedals, some of which have very sharp
medal pens installed all over their surfaces. In my opinion, these are
the best pedals for unicycling. There however is a tradeoff with these
pedals. Shoe to pedal contact becomes great, even when your shoes are
wet. I only ride with medal pen pedals now. I love having them on my
unicycles. The down side, these sharp pens CAN make your shins look
like hamburger meat and freak out your parents. Please post pictures of
you injuries if this happens to you.

Medal pedals also seem to hold up better than plastic, but I'm sure this
is not a hard and fast rule. You'll get more responses, that was my .2
cents worth.

Again, welcome to the Unicycling Forum. --chirokid--

--
chirokid - Bug Killing Unicyclist

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old April 9th 04, 04:49 AM
john_childs

tylercox wrote:
*WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF MEDAL PEDALS? *

Metal pedals with the threaded in traction pins are very grippy. There
are also metal pedals with rounded molded in traction bumps. The molded
in bumps are much less grippy than the threaded in traction pins. But
the molded in bumps won't rip your skin up if your foot slips off the
pedal.

Pros:
* Very grippy for things like muni and Coker riding
* Grippy even in the rain or mud

Cons:
* Can't use metal pedals indoors because they'll damage the floor
* Cheese grater effect on your calf or shin if you foot slips off the
pedal
* They hurt if they smack your shin and you aren't wearing shin guards
or full leg armor
* It is more difficult to reposition your feet on the pedals as you are
riding

You don't want metal pedals for freestyle. They are too grippy and you
won't be able to scoot your feet around on the pedals which is necessary
for some skills. Metal pedals will also hurt your legs.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old April 9th 04, 09:09 AM
joemarshall

For riding outside, I think you're more likely to hurt your legs with
plastic pedals than metal, because even though one slip off the pedals
hurts less, you'll have more of them.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old April 9th 04, 06:27 PM
johnfoss

If you get any, shoot for the gold ones! Silver and bronze are okay, but
don't have the same prestige.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!

Old April 9th 04, 09:56 PM
north

plastic pedals look poo... nuff said

--
north - The seth enslow of unicycling

North

until it ends...

north's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3476

Old April 9th 04, 10:04 PM
treepotato

think my signature explains all

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

Old April 9th 04, 10:09 PM
north

nasty pedal bites? ha! iv got a 2" by 1/2" scar, indented a fair way
into my shin, cos i spent the first two years of my unicycle career
saying "pads are for pussies" metal pedals rule, i dont need a pad on my
right shin any more cos a pedal pin cut the nerves or something and ive
got no feeling...
dont let them stitch you either... the scars are cooler...
in the words of the great seth enslow:
"if theres no blood in the picture, its not good, right?"

Old April 9th 04, 10:40 PM
johnfoss

north wrote:
*i dont need a pad on my right shin any more cos a pedal pin cut the
nerves or something and ive got no feeling...*

Keep this in mind if you like to add lots of scars to yourself. Nothing
wrong this this; some people like to keep adding tattoos. Scars at least
make it look like you were doing something more than getting
needle-poked...
*in the words of the great seth enslow:
"if theres no blood in the picture, its not good, right?" *

If he's talking about a wedding picture, I'd have to disagree.

And that's coming from a person who had a MUni performance at his
wedding!
http://www.unicycling.com/wedding/show.htm

Meanwhile, I almost forgot to put in my "useful" two cents about pedals.
Here's a good general rule: plastic for freestyle, metal for offroad.
It's not quite that simple. If you have pads on, metal pedals are fine.
But I used some lightly-toothed plastic ones when I was learning tricks
and practicing routines. However I use metal pedals on my Coker to ride
to work, and I would probably only use metal for Trials (with pads).
Plastic pedals are required most of the time for indoor riding and track
racing. Look for some grippy ones.

Old April 10th 04, 03:17 AM
gerblefranklin

As mentioned, freestyle needs plastic crap, and muni needs metal. I used
crappy molded cast aluminum ones with press-fit pins, and did fine for
about 2 years. Then I shattered the left pedal during a failed hop onto
concrete, and since then I used crappy aluminum pedals with fused pins
that wore off. Recently I was given an old set of wellgo b-37s (thanks
again, Harper ), and I'm much happier. The pins grip better, even if
they do abuse my shoe. They have sealed bearings, which is nice for
trips to the beach, and I can now go back to fearing my unicycle. Metal
is generally better, but don't be a macho fool. If they have pins, wear
at the very least shin pads, preferably leg armour. I saw a set of
wellgos with 4mm pins, and to biff with those would mean a chipped
bone! Scars are cool, but stiches are expensive and kill riding time, so
wear armour. Also, if the pedals have big enough pins, make sure the
sole of your shoe can handle it. Mine have holes from the pins on my
last pedal in the sole.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?