Stiff Seat Solution Other Than CF?

Old September 10th 05, 08:32 AM
Evan Byrne

Default Stiff Seat Solution Other Than CF?

Hey all,

Its me again bitchin about something else. Well im killing my kh seats
right and left, i killed both my myaitas with cracks in the front and
back of the bases and folded one and folded my muni kh seat. I am too
poor toafford carbon fiber right now, and its way to expencive in the
first place, can you guys think of a slightly cheaper solution other
than carbon fiber for me? I am building a front stiffner/Reinforcement
for my kh seat but i dont know how well it will hold. I would get the
Myaita seat and put in the gb4 plate but i think i would crakc the back
of the base. I was also pondering possibly making an aluminum base and
practily making my own seat....Any Ideas???

Later dudes,

-E

--
Evan Byrne - I Bc.

-last edited by litldude2 on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Old September 10th 05, 10:38 AM
kington99

Are you looking for stiffness, or strength? The two are very different,
and seeing as you're complaining about snapping seats i think it's
strength that you need, in which case a steel 'stiffener' plate will
serve you better than an aluminium one, which is stiffer but weaker.
having seen one at first hand, the GB4 is a chunky piece of kit, one of
those in a KH would make a very solid saddle i think.

--
kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

Dave

Old September 10th 05, 12:52 PM
DarkTom

You could use a steel base from a viscount or similar cheap saddle. I
did this and just had to drill new holes to bolt the kh handles on the
front.

Super stiff, super strong, weighs a bit tho.

T.

--
DarkTom - fork riding a sugar unicycle

-\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
less.\" - johnhimsworth

\"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher

\"mud is the ink we use for bodypainting our homage to the muni sport.\"
- goldenchickenii
-
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

Old September 10th 05, 01:07 PM
onetrack

the strengnth - weight ratio depends entirely on how much you want to
spend.

If I where you, I'd take Dark Tom's advice. Or, you might want to wait
and see what Kris Holm comes up with for 06'.

--
onetrack - Stair Master

"People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
lines."
-Klaas Bil
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

Old September 10th 05, 02:50 PM
Tim

Viscount. Mod it and it will last. Its heavy but worth it. Just which
out the foam for an intertube. You could even drill it to fit other seat
post sizes.
DarkTom wrote:
*You could use a steel base from a viscount or similar cheap saddle.
I did this and just had to drill new holes to bolt the kh handles on
the front.

Super stiff, super strong, weighs a bit tho.

T. *

--
Tim - Amanda's the sexiest avatar

Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)

Smoking Jagurs old pipe.

Old September 10th 05, 04:38 PM
James_Potter

you could use the Miyata Stiffener Plate....
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=607
it's very heavy, but I expect it would work to strengthen it.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

give a man a fire, he's warm for an hour. light a man on fire, and he's
warm for life.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
president of the mris

-last edited by yo mamma on 2005-09-05 at 4:23 pm-

Old September 10th 05, 05:15 PM
Evan Byrne

Hmm....I think i might go with a viscount.....yeah i ment i need a
strong seat. Has anyone broken a viscount?

Old September 10th 05, 05:41 PM
TrialsUni

and while you're at it, start saving up, slowly even, for a carbon fiber
base. it'll be well worth it in the long run. you'll be saving on
weight, while increasing strength, too.

keep in mind, too, that people do break carbon bases. i'm sure you've
heard of this before. it's really rare, and is usually due in part to
more abusive riding (and by this i'm talking about crash-wise, or even
skills like say a 12ft drop to flat) where the end of the limit of most
of our strongest components is.

later,
evan (dunbar)

--
TrialsUni - Urban Trials Rider
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

Old September 10th 05, 06:53 PM
One on one

kington99 wrote:
* the GB4 is a chunky piece of kit, one of those in a KH would make a
very solid saddle i think. *

I have the GB4 with a Torker saddle and it is very strong. The stiffener
plate does its job well.

TrialsUni wrote:
*and while you're at it, start saving up, slowly even, for a carbon
fiber base. it'll be well worth it in the long run. you'll be saving
on weight, while increasing strength, too.
*

From what you're saying, it will probably pay for itself rather quickly
by your not having to keep replacing saddles and seat bases.

--
One on one - Founder and member of GUA

"However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
he/she could black out."
-Memphis Mud

I went further than I had planned and had a testicle break at about 25
ks
-onebyone

One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

Old September 10th 05, 07:49 PM
pdc

Will those GB4 Miyata stiffeners work OK in a KH?

--
pdc - Unicycling Lord of Lookout Mountain

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"

pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160