The Shed Thread

Old June 6th 12, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default The Shed Thread

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 13:56:38 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:44:04 +0100, jnugent
wrote:

On 06/06/2012 07:48, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:

[ ... ]

I only asked what advantage there in drawing a bucket of water from a
butt as opposed to drawing it from the garden tap (or even from the
kitchen mixer taps, hotter than body temperature). Neither seems to be
illegal unless there is a ban on washing cars (which there isn't).

Assuming the bucket is 10L, and you are on a water meter, one
advantage is 1.2263 pence for the water and another 0.6473 pence for
sewerage. Clare also reckons rainwater (even from a butt) is better
for plants than treated water.

For those (such as I, and, I fancy, the majority), who do not have a
water meter, that would be of no particular advantage. And for those
stuck with meters, the cost-saving is small. It isn't at all clear what
the price of sewerage has to do with it.

On my last bill I was charged for 80 cubic metres of water and 80
cubic metres of wastewater. Wastewater is not metered, but is
calculated to be the same as water. Using a hosepipe in the garden
produces little wastewater into the drains, but it is still charged.

And if you want to compare costs, the two of us pay about 77p a day
for water and wastewater. Unmetered the cost would be 83p per day,
plus a charge depending on the size of pipe feeding our home and
removing waste, probably taking the cost to about £1.10 per day.

Truly fascinating.

If you and Clare have a **** at work instead of at home - you will save a
fortune.

Old June 6th 12, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

On 06/06/2012 07:48, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

We'd probably save more by flushing every stool and every second
urination.

There's a little rhyme I recall from 1976: If it's brown, flush it
down; If it's yellow, let it mellow. I wouldn't want to go to those
extremes, but flushing every second visit, assuming a flush is 8
litres, would save us a penny (0.975p by my calculations) per visit.

So, instead of saying, "I'm off to spend a penny", we should say, "I'm
off to save a penny", and the time we share together would be filled
with even more laughter and merriment.
Old June 6th 12, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

On 06/06/2012 07:48, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

**** me, life in the fast lane...

University
Old June 6th 12, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 06/06/2012 13:47, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:47:33 +0100,
wrote:

On 06/06/2012 12:32, thirty-six wrote:
On Jun 6, 7:48 am, Bertie wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 02:11:56 +0100,
wrote:

On 06/06/2012 00:11, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
On 05/06/2012 22:10, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:40:19 +0100,
wrote:

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 18:36:24 +0100,
wrote:

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:52:16 +0300, davethedave
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 17:35:58 +0100, jnugent wrote:

Does a hosepipe ban prevent one from washing a car using a bucket
(just
like you'd have to with water from a water butt)?

What is banned? Clean cars or hosepipes?

The use of hosepipes domestically. You can quite happily take it to
a man
who runs a car washing business and pay him to use a hosepipe on it.

Is the wrong answer.

Care to explain why?
Unless the BBC have got it all wrong, of course:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17615364

Do keep up!

The ban is not a blanket ban on the use of hosepipes. The example I
gave earlier was of the domestic use of a hosepipe attached to a water
butt.

So how did that make the previous poster's comment on taking your car
to a
car wash wrong?

You can take your car to a car wash. However, the assertion was made
that "The use of hosepipes domestically" are banned.

Wriggling like the worm you are again Cwispin.

Mr Nugent stated;
"You can quite happily take it to a man who runs a car washing business
and pay him to use a hosepipe on it".

You replied;
"Is the wrong answer".

You ****ed up again pure& simple and now you are wriggling.

Actually, it was not I who wrote: "You can quite happily take it to a
man who runs a car washing business and pay him to use a hosepipe on it".

I only asked what advantage there in drawing a bucket of water from a
butt as opposed to drawing it from the garden tap (or even from the
kitchen mixer taps, hotter than body temperature). Neither seems to be
illegal unless there is a ban on washing cars (which there isn't).

Assuming the bucket is 10L, and you are on a water meter, one
advantage is 1.2263 pence for the water and another 0.6473 pence for
sewerage. Clare also reckons rainwater (even from a butt) is better
for plants than treated water.

Grow some lettuce on rainwater then water with tap water and watch it
wilt. When it eventually picks up, do a taste comparison. It might
help you decide what to stuff down your throat in future.

What's the connection with hosepipe bans?

A hosepipe connected to the mains can water lettuce with treated
water; a hosepipe connected to a water butt can water lettuce with
rainwater. But with the hosepipe ban in place you are not allowed to
water lettuce with a hosepipe connected to mains water.

Perhaps I ought to have been clearer: what's the advantage, with special
reference to a hosepipe ban?

Old June 6th 12, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

On 06/06/2012 07:48, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Thanks for that. As I'm sure you'll agree, it has nothing to do with
hosepipe bans.

Convenient "opinion" on the efficacy of rainwater aside, there isn't
even an advantage when there is a hosepipe ban in force, since water can
be decanted into buckets and used for various jobs anyway.

Old June 6th 12, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 06/06/2012 09:46, Ian Smith wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2012, Dave - Cyclists wrote:

I spotted the big mistake when you fist showed us the 'brieze' blocks.

recap:

Someone didn't know the etymology of breeze block, and also spelled it
wrongly.

The average 9 year old knows what a breeze block is add how it differs
from a concrete block.

Dave thinks this proves they are a cretin,

In this instance it simply confirms that Cwispin is a cretin.

and is going to
bang on about spelling it wrongly for months.

Possibly years.

Of course, Dave's
spelling is exemplary, and he never makes any errors, presumably
because before posting he always reads through his text, err, fist.

I was taught by proper teachers e.g. not Cwispin.

University
Old June 6th 12, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Default Will Wriggling Cwispin ever give a straight answer to a question

Wriggling Cwispin is now going to explain how I have not only survived,
but prospered during the worst recession in living memory, or how I have
retained my Trading Standards accreditation, or how every deck he
pathetically attempted to criticize has lead to recommendations from
satisfied customers.

Care to explain now Captain Wriggler?

The class is waiting.

No pretending to have already answered, no changing the subject.

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.
After his son’s murderer had been convicted, Barry Mizen said he had
Old June 6th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

You can still use a hosepipe connected to a water butt when there's a
hosepipe ban in place.
Old June 6th 12, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

On 06/06/2012 07:48, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

The shed is ready for us to dine within:
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/shed/09

On the menu:
Cumberland sausages;
Onion gravy;
Baked potato;
Peas;
Carrots.

Followed by fresh pineapple/

All washed down with Tattinger Champagne and sparkling mineral water.
Old June 6th 12, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

On 06/06/2012 07:48, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

How much did that lot 'come to' and how much did you actually pay?

All washed down with Tattinger Champagne and sparkling mineral water.

I prefer Taittinger myself. Is Tattinger what you get cheap in
Greenwich market?

Are you really a teacher?

University

Shed Brian G UK 31 August 1st 07 05:39 PM
Shed got broken into! Eddbmxdude Unicycling 15 October 14th 06 07:24 PM
shed humping(bad shed) the unicycle man(one of many) Recumbent Biking 0 September 2nd 06 06:34 AM
Every home (or shed) should have one! cfsmtb Australia 30 September 1st 06 01:40 AM
My Shed Just zis Guy, you know? UK 17 July 3rd 04 12:54 PM