Rim wear

Old June 16th 05, 11:45 PM
Peter

Default Rim wear

A while back a few people reported here about incidents where their rim
walls fractured. I understand that some current rims have wear markers
built into the sidewalls to let the user know when they should be
replaced, but my rims have no such indicators.

I don't want to have a rim failure while riding but would also like to
get as much mileage from my rims as possible. Here's a picture of one
of my front rims (the rear ones are only rarely used for braking and
have minimal wear):
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/RimWear.jpg
It shows a definite concave surface but I'm not sure how close it is to
failing. Any suggestions on how to tell when failure is imminent?

The rim pictured is a Rigida 13-19.

Old June 17th 05, 12:00 AM
JeffWills

Peter wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/RimWear.jpg
It shows a definite concave surface but I'm not sure how close it is to
failing. Any suggestions on how to tell when failure is imminent?

Time to replace it! My rim looked about that far gone before it let go:
http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/rite...s/rites042.htm

Jeff

Old June 17th 05, 12:05 AM

measure yours then measure the one down at the LBS.
subtracked
usa shim. measure shim. subtracked.
the lbs will probabbbly show of his digital caliper if you go in on a
teusday mroning

Old June 17th 05, 03:28 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Peter:
I don't want to have a rim failure while riding but would also like to
get as much mileage from my rims as possible.

Last weekend - on Philly's "Bell-To-Bell" ride, I saw one of these:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5XR1.html

Dunno what the tradeoffs are vs a "real" road bike once you put hp slicks on it,
but it looks like rim wear is definately a non-issue.
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 17th 05, 03:36 AM
jim beam

Peter wrote:
A while back a few people reported here about incidents where their rim
walls fractured. I understand that some current rims have wear markers
built into the sidewalls to let the user know when they should be
replaced, but my rims have no such indicators.

I don't want to have a rim failure while riding but would also like to
get as much mileage from my rims as possible. Here's a picture of one
of my front rims (the rear ones are only rarely used for braking and
have minimal wear):
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/RimWear.jpg
It shows a definite concave surface but I'm not sure how close it is to
failing. Any suggestions on how to tell when failure is imminent?

The rim pictured is a Rigida 13-19.

i'd say any day now. need to replace asap.

Old June 17th 05, 03:54 PM

Jeff! what does the rim thickness measure near the blown section? like
before and after circumferentially and above and below in the blown
section's middle?

Old June 17th 05, 06:10 PM
Dion Dock

Concave is fine, convex is not. When the rim starts to go, the air pressure
of the tire will push out the sides of the rim. I've seen this happen twice
to my wife's front rim.

-Dion

Old June 17th 05, 06:30 PM

made for what situation?
dirt and mud
or dropping into pot holes, curbs?

A problem with gears. Donny UK 105 December 22nd 04 09:10 AM
"Be Bright - Wear White" vs' "Fight Back - Wear Black" Drinky UK 45 November 28th 04 12:42 AM
Thanks - "Be Bright - Wear White" vs' "Fight Back - Wear Black" Drinky UK 47 November 26th 04 11:33 AM
Should I wear a helmet? blue girl with white hair and red eyes Techniques 995 December 12th 03 02:17 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM