Adjusting helmet

Old May 6th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Adjusting helmet

Hello Everyone. I dug my old bike out of my parents attic after about
10 years of no use. I'm gaining weight and have really missed the joy
rides that stopped ever since I've owned a car. I'm more concerned
about safety than when I used to ride. I ordered a gyro helmet. The
standard won't even go on my head so I had to pick up the larger
size.

Trying to get this thing adjusted is really ****ing me off. No matter
what I do I can still move the helmet up on my forehead. I'm not sure
exactly how snug these things should be. I have the y just under my
ear. I'm a person that can't stand wearing any kind of hat so this
helmet feels like torture. I hope that even if it moves around a bit
it will still do some good. I have it tight enough that it can't come
off my head obviously Fitting these is way more complicated than I
thought. Pull a strap the wrong way and its to tight or loose on the
other side.
Old May 7th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 6, 5:43*pm, wrote:
[...]

It probably just does not fit and you'l always have a problem. If you
have a large head it is almost impossible to find a helmet that fits
properly though if there are pads in the helmet, removing some of them
might help. I speak from experience. If you reallly want a helmet
check out some of the Bells. The last helmet that I had that fit (15
years ago) was a Bell.

That said it can be an extremely frustrating exercise to get the
straps just right and you may just have to keep at it. Stop
occasionally for tranquilizer or cold beer.

The best thing to do is junk the helmet ( or return it if you can get
your money back). A helmet is of no value in a serious accident and
of dubious value in minor accidents. You're better off taking a
CanBike( Canada) / Effective Cycling (US ) safe cycling course for the
money.

Have a look a http://www.vehicularcyclist.com/ and have a look at the
FAQ.

Old May 7th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 6, 1:43*pm, wrote:
[...]

I hope you bought a helmet with the easy to adjust rear part (the part
that holds the occiputal part of the skull). If not, get rid of the
one you have and get one of those. It makes helmet adjusting very
much easier, almost foolproof.
Old May 8th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

wrote in message
[...]

You may not have the right head shape for the helmet you purchased.
Bring the helmet back to where you got it and have them try and adjust
it for you and, if they can't get it dialed in right, swap to a
different helmet that you can. Helmets aren't quite as bad as shoes, but
there are still very distinct shapes to, for example, Trek, Giro & Bell
helmets.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old May 8th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I recommend going to whatever place near you has the largest
selection of helmets and trying them on until you find one that's
comfortable on your particular noggin. Around here that's REI, but
YMMV.
And if you are tempted to believe those that tell you there is no
advantage in wearing a helmet, I'll be happy to e-mail you a picture of
what my last one looks like after hitting the road at 20 mph.

Bill (Frumious)

__o | Some Usenet posts tell you more about the poster
_`\(,_ | than they do about the subject.
(_)/ (_) |
Old May 8th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

thanks for all the tips. I have a giro atlas helmet. They have a dial
in the back and also clasps for the y straps. It seems to be fitting
ok except that its a bit easy to move up on my forehead. I might need
to mess with it a bit more. From what I have read its one of the few
helmets for over size heads. As far as helmets being worth it or not
who knows. If I can find one that works for me then why not.

Do you think cycling is a reasonable safe activity especially if I
stay on paved bike paths? I used to ride on the streets before and
just couldn't tolerate having cars that close to me. I need to work
off about 60 pounds of fat before I can go on a long ride anyway.
Old May 8th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 7, 10:13*pm, wrote:
thanks for all the tips. I have a giro atlas helmet. They have a dial
in the back and also clasps for the y straps. It seems to be fitting
ok except that its a bit easy to move up on my forehead. I might need
to mess with it a bit more. From what I have read its one of the few
helmets for over size heads. *As far as helmets being worth it or not
who knows. If I can find one that works for me then why not.

Do you think cycling is a reasonable safe activity especially if I
stay on paved bike paths? I used to ride on the streets before and
just couldn't tolerate having cars that close to me. I need to work
off about 60 pounds of fat before I can go on a long ride anyway.

Cycling is a reasonably safe activity on paths or on streets. As a
rough average, there are fifteen MILLION miles cycled between
fatalities. For experienced cyclists, there are on average over
30,000 miles cycled between crashes that cost $50. Many studies have
found that cycling is safer than being a pedestrian, whether you
figure safety per mile or per hour exposure. And when comparing the
overall effects on health, cycling is safer than not cycling, because
you'll more likely die of heart disease, etc. if you don't ride. See
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetyS...SafetyQuiz.htm

If you "can't tolerate cars that close," you probably need to learn
some technique. Go to http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/e...e_schedule.php
and see about taking a cycling class. They're short, cheap, fun, and
will do more for your riding - and your safety - than anything else
you can possibly do. Failing that, at _least_ read Street Smarts, at
http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm
(Several states distribute that pamphlet for free.)

Finally, keep in mind that bike helmets have never been shown to
improve the safety of any jurisdiction's population. There's debate
about exactly why - it could be their dismal certification standards,
it could be people taking more risks because they feel protected - but
they've never generated any reduction in fatalities or serious head
injuries per cyclist, even when helmet use has jumped suddenly from
30% to 90%. See, for example, http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1028.html
(There are many more scholarly studies showing the same sort of
thing.)

All that helmets seem to generate is tales claiming "My helmet broke,
so it must have saved my life." By that standard, the scuffs on my
shoes must prove they've saved me from being crippled. So let's all
wear oversized styrofoam shoes! They'll prevent 85% of lost
limbs! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 9th 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Frank Krygowski writes in part:

Cycling is a reasonably safe activity on paths or on streets.

Here's a rhetorical question:

Is cycling a reasonably safe activity that can be made more
dangerous, or is it a somewhat dangerous activity that can
be made more safe?

I assure you, I'm not posing this question glibly, even
though I admit to it's rhetorical nature.

I have long pondered -- no, downright ~struggled~ with
this question, and have yet to come up with an answer
that satisfies me.

The best answer I've been able to come with is: there's
a huge difference between being able to make a bike go
without falling off, and being able to safely wend one's
way among throngs of people in traffic acting like
last-minute Christmas shoppers on the streets & roads
every day.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nobody's an expert
I'm really at:
Old May 9th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I took my bike down to the path today and went for my first real ride.
Actually it wouldn't even be a warm up for most of you guys. I rode
for about 4 miles and the hills wore me out.
The path is very nice. I seen 2 joggers but it was mostly quiet.
There are a few intersections but they have bike crossings that stop
all traffic.

I can't wait to go again. I've stopped drinking all soda and limiting
the sweets. My goal is to bring my weight back down to 185 from 250
before the summer is over and have fun doing it.

Adjusting headsets PJay UK 2 April 28th 06 12:30 AM
Adjusting headsets PJay UK 2 April 12th 06 08:34 PM
FS: Giro Pneumo Lone Star Edition helmet w/ helmet pod Robbie Brown Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 04:44 PM
published helmet research - is helmet good thing or bad? Just zis Guy, you know? Racing 0 July 30th 04 08:51 AM
published helmet research - is helmet good thing or bad? Just zis Guy, you know? Social Issues 0 July 30th 04 08:51 AM