Cycling's Slam Dunk: Lebron James

Old May 17th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default Cycling's Slam Dunk: Lebron James

Cycling's Slam Dunk
When basketball season ends, Lebron James spreads the love—on two
wheels.

By Mary Schmitt Boyer

LeBron James loves to ride. Whether it's to keep in shape during the
off-season or to raise money through his annual summer bikeathon in
downtown Akron (this year's is tentatively scheduled for June 27), the
Cleveland Cavaliers superstar can often be found tooling around town
on his custom Cannondale. With the Cavs preparing for the playoffs—
this year, they're in a strong position to vie for the team's first
NBA title—James took a few minutes to talk about how he got hooked on
bikes during his childhood, the important work of the LeBron James
Family Foundation and why one of the world's most famous athletes
keeps on making time to ride.

Why a bikeathon for charity instead of, say, a race or a concert?
It's something that I enjoy doing. It's also something that's very
different from the usual celebrity basketball game or something like
that. I think it's healthy also, riding bikes and staying in shape.
With the statistics on obesity in kids, staying fit is something you
always want to promote.

A third of the proceeds goes to the Akron YMCA. What does that place
mean to you?
The Akron Y is basically where I grew up, playing basketball and
having fun. You want to give back to certain places like that where
you know kids will benefit.

Kids and families are the major focus of your foundation. Why kids, as
opposed to other causes like cancer or another disease?
I feel like me being as young as I am [he's 24], I'm still in tune
with the kids. And me having two kids, I know kids never forget
certain things. Anytime they get an opportunity to have fun or get a
great memory, they never forget it.

How old were you when you started riding, and what first got you on a
bike?
I've been riding bikes my whole life. I was probably three or four
when I got my first bike and learned how to ride. It's something I
always did as a kid. Me and my friends would ride all over the city
going to play basketball and lock our bikes up on a tree. For
conditioning reasons, I've been doing it about five years now. It's
great for your legs.

Do you get a chance to ride during the NBA season?
No, only during the off-season.

How much do you ride in the off-season?
Probably three or four days a week.

Any favorite routes?
We [James and his friends] just set a time and ride all over the city.
Then we decide we're going to turn around and come back home.

You own a piece of Cannondale; when can we expect to see a special
LeBron James model?
It's not in the works; I'm more of an undisclosed partner. But I've
got a LeBron James special Cannondale bike.

The bikeathon comes in close proximity to the NBA finals. If the
Cavaliers make it that far, will your legs still have enough left in
them for the ride?
I'll still be in shape. That'll be a good thing. I won't be tired.

KING FOR KIDS BIKEATHON June 27, 2009; Akron, Ohio Options: 1.5 miles
(kid ride), 3 miles (family ride), 8 miles (main ride) Cost: $15 for
individuals and $75 for families of up to six Info: lebronjamesff.org
James kicks off this event in his hometown to honor Akron-area
children who have achieved academic success and physical fitness,
giving out bikes and gifts to top students. Proceeds are split between
the Akron Urban League, the Akron YMCA and the LeBron James Family
Foundation. James and his mother started the foundation in 2004 to
help single-parent families and disadvantaged children with donations
of school supplies and food. The organization has launched other
initiatives to help kids in greater Akron, including the bikeathon,
now in its fourth year, which has raised $200,000 for the local Urban
League and YMCA.

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...9199-1,00.html