A bike that even Joerg couldn't break?

Old November 18th 16, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default A bike that even Joerg couldn't break?

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

--
Js
Old November 18th 16, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 18/11/2016 3:58 PM, James wrote:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Sir Ridesalot has been recommending something like this to Joerg for
months. g
Old November 18th 16, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 18th 16, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(

We don't believe you. Where is the data? Show us the pics.

Old November 18th 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(

We don't believe you.

Who is "we"? You are newsgroup president-elect and speak for the group?

... Where is the data? Show us the pics.

How should I take a pic? You won't see the bend on a photo. You can
clearly feel it when fastening it. I wouldn't care but because of the
bend it now turns itself at times and that can loosen it. So now I carry
the 6mm Allen wrench in my back pocket instead of in the tool kit.

Old November 19th 16, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(

We don't believe you.

Who is "we"? You are newsgroup president-elect and speak for the group?

... Where is the data? Show us the pics.

How should I take a pic? You won't see the bend on a photo. You can
clearly feel it when fastening it. I wouldn't care but because of the
bend it now turns itself at times and that can loosen it. So now I carry
the 6mm Allen wrench in my back pocket instead of in the tool kit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The 'we' is probably most everyone here who either read your posts or read your statements in posts others make.

Cheers
Old November 19th 16, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(

We don't believe you.

Who is "we"? You are newsgroup president-elect and speak for the group?

Yes, he is.

... Where is the data? Show us the pics.

How should I take a pic? You won't see the bend on a photo. You can
clearly feel it when fastening it. I wouldn't care but because of the
bend it now turns itself at times and that can loosen it. So now I carry
the 6mm Allen wrench in my back pocket instead of in the tool kit.

BTW, it was never thought to be impossible. See e.g. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...olt-where-from

What you do is this: (1) get on your bike, (2) ride that gnarly trail to Home Depot, avoiding mountain lions; (3) buy a 6M replacement bolt, (4) ride home and inflate your rear shock -- or maybe do that before you leave. Your problem is not uncommon for people who do not keep their shocks inflated.

If it were me, I would just stop here on the way home from work: http://aboysupply.com/wp-content/upl...1024x415_c.png Plenty of metric SS fasteners. No mountain lions.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 19th 16, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear
shock on my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now
:-(

We don't believe you.

Who is "we"? You are newsgroup president-elect and speak for the
group?

Yes, he is.

Oh, I must have missed the elections.

... Where is the data? Show us the pics.

How should I take a pic? You won't see the bend on a photo. You
can clearly feel it when fastening it. I wouldn't care but because
of the bend it now turns itself at times and that can loosen it. So
now I carry the 6mm Allen wrench in my back pocket instead of in
the tool kit.

BTW, it was never thought to be impossible. See e.g.
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...olt-where-from

That's why I wrote "thought" to be impossible. I never believed it to
be, on bicycles almost anything can brake even without "off-label use".

What you do is this: (1) get on your bike, (2) ride that gnarly
trail to Home Depot, avoiding mountain lions; (3) buy a 6M
replacement bolt, (4) ride home and inflate your rear shock -- or
maybe do that before you leave.

It ain't that simple. This is a bolt set where the "nut" isn't a nut but
a long sleeve which represents the pivot. Both are bent. The heads are
also part of the system and must fit their mounts snugly. You can see
the mount in the middle he

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy3.JPG

I am sure I can buy a replacement from the bike fram mfg but I'd rather
like something stronger.

... Your problem is not uncommon for
people who do not keep their shocks inflated.

My bikes are on checklists just like a lot of other stuff around here.
For the MTB two of the items are shock and fork pressure. The lowest I
let the shock get is 180psi and the fork gets ar when it has dropped to
110psi.

If it were me, I would just stop here on the way home from work:
http://aboysupply.com/wp-content/upl...1024x415_c.png
Plenty of metric SS fasteners. No mountain lions.

I doubt they'd have this kind.

Old November 19th 16, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 3:58:47 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

--
Js

IF THE GERMANS can destroy the planet, surly a bicycle.
Old November 19th 16, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

we and thou are fairly neutral so doahn blow a fuse ...

6mm bolts are maintenance bolts. 6mm are for sport touring n when yawl exceed sport touring or OEM gotta upgrade and replace.

experience here is hardware store ...the usual tray setup...6mm G5's for bottom rear rack into OEM (78 carbon steel Raleigh) are good for 1 yr/5000 miles only.

so whatever crazy **** you're into clearly exceeds OEM n the trays

https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-hex...crews/=153yihj