Question for Joerg

Old January 9th 17, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Question for Joerg

Joerg, I was wondering if you've ever ridden the Mosquito Road loop in Placerville. It's not that long (under 25 miles), but has a lot of climbing and descending with some pitches of 12%, whereas I am more accustomed to riding a grade of 6% or so. So I'm not sure if I'm really in good enough shape to do the loop. Any words of wisdom? Thanks a lot. Bill Crowell in Diamond Springs
Old January 9th 17, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

https://www.google.com/search?client...iw=360&bih=560

Blue Bug also reviewed
Old January 9th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 7:36:21 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Joerg, I was wondering if you've ever ridden the Mosquito Road loop in Placerville. It's not that long (under 25 miles), but has a lot of climbing and descending with some pitches of 12%, whereas I am more accustomed to riding a grade of 6% or so. So I'm not sure if I'm really in good enough shape to do the loop. Any words of wisdom? Thanks a lot. Bill Crowell in Diamond Springs

If I could inject myself; 6% grades are NOTHING like 12% BUT I really doubt that you can ride around Diamond Springs and do any rides of significant distance and not climb 12% grades. Unless these 12% grades are distances longer than a mile or you are not an experienced rider I would doubt that you could not do this.

If everyone on the Grizzly Peak Century or metric can do a mile of 16% I'm sure that any experienced climber can so 12%. I was doing a couple of miles of 10-12% a year after coming back from a year and a half hiatus.
Old January 9th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:36:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Joerg, I was wondering if you've ever ridden the Mosquito Road loop in Placerville. It's not that long (under 25 miles), but has a lot of climbing and descending with some pitches of 12%, whereas I am more accustomed to riding a grade of 6% or so. So I'm not sure if I'm really in good enough shape to do the loop. Any words of wisdom? Thanks a lot. Bill Crowell in Diamond Springs

thisit ?

https://www.google.com/search?client...ito+ridge+loop

bikepacker sites have information n video for the area
Old January 9th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 4:53:39 AM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?client...iw=360&bih=560

Blue Bug also reviewed

What does Jay say
http://bestrides.org/mosquito-ridge-road/
http://bestrides.org/etna-loop/
Old January 9th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hey all, thanks for the replies.

Here's a map of the route, done as a loop starting and ending in Placerville.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i0rd2avfn...0ride.jpg?dl=0

Lots of climbing and descending on this ride!
Old January 9th 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

several routes from bikepacking are relatively flat originally miner's path across the hills possibly done with handcarts.

Old January 22nd 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Clean Gene the Wild and Crazy Machine wrote: "several routes from bikepacking are relatively flat originally miner's path across the hills possibly done with handcarts."

Well hell, Gene, since miners could push their handcarts along that trail, I don't see any reason I can't do it on my Paramount with Michelin 700-C Pro 4s, do you?
Old January 22nd 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-08 19:36, wrote:
Joerg, I was wondering if you've ever ridden the Mosquito Road loop
in Placerville. It's not that long (under 25 miles), but has a lot of
climbing and descending with some pitches of 12%, whereas I am more
accustomed to riding a grade of 6% or so. So I'm not sure if I'm
really in good enough shape to do the loop. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks a lot. Bill Crowell in Diamond Springs

Have to pass, Bill. Never rode that one and I don't like such roads
where eventually some crazy guy on a crotch rocket blows through and
almost hits you in a curve. That happened to me on Salmon Falls Road. A
helmet flew by almost under my left arm and the guy nearly turfed it.

What is nice if you have a fat bike: Mormon Emigrant Trail in winter
when there is snow and very few and slow cars. Just watch out, there is
sometimes ice under the snow. Also lots of target practice, so be
careful :-)

If you do the loop and get back to Placerville check out "Strong Blonde"
at Jack Russell. Or at Placerville Brewing company, tastes almost
identical. Outbreak ain't open yet but I have sampled their "Doomday".

You aren't by chance the guy riding the classic red Italian road bike?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/