Rough old Record hub

Old June 7th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mx

Default Rough old Record hub

I have a 30-ish year old Record hub that recently broke an axle.
After reassembly (all old parts except the axle), it rolls a bit
crustily: spins plenty long but when holding the axle in hand, some
vibration is noticeable. The cups and cones don't have any really
visible or palpable deformities, but I'm fairly sure if the cups were
brinnelled that badly, the vibration would be worse.

Not sure if that is actually a recent development, since I hadn't had
the wheel off in roughly forever. This bike typically just gets a
dozen or so 11 mile commutes per year. Is this something that really
needs to be attended to, or will it grind away without any dramatic
failures for a while? Other than replacing the balls, what could be
done?

Mike
Old June 7th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jun 7, 12:15*am, mx wrote:
I have a 30-ish year old Record hub that recently broke an axle.
After reassembly (all old parts except the axle), it rolls a bit
crustily: spins plenty long but when holding the axle in hand, some
vibration is noticeable. *The cups and cones don't have any really
visible or palpable deformities, but I'm fairly sure if the cups were
brinnelled that badly, the vibration would be worse.

Not sure if that is actually a recent development, since I hadn't had
the wheel off in roughly forever. *This bike typically just gets a
dozen or so 11 mile commutes per year. *Is this something that really
needs to be attended to, or will it grind away without any dramatic
failures for a while? *Other than replacing the balls, what could be
done?

Mike

I suspect you have some pitting on the cones. Any decent bike shop
that 'qui si parla Casmpagnolo' will have replacements. New bearing
balls(1/4 inch), grease, adjust well.
Old June 7th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

mx wrote:
I have a 30-ish year old Record hub that recently broke an axle.
After reassembly (all old parts except the axle), it rolls a bit
crustily: spins plenty long but when holding the axle in hand, some
vibration is noticeable. The cups and cones don't have any really
visible or palpable deformities, but I'm fairly sure if the cups were
brinnelled that badly, the vibration would be worse.

Not sure if that is actually a recent development, since I hadn't had
the wheel off in roughly forever. This bike typically just gets a
dozen or so 11 mile commutes per year. Is this something that really
needs to be attended to, or will it grind away without any dramatic
failures for a while? Other than replacing the balls, what could be
done?

Assuming you cleaned it thoroughly and changed the bearings on rebuild,
it's either adjusted improperly or there is wear on cone(s) or cup(s).

p.s. it is not brinelling, it's spalling - erosion not impact.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 7th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 23:15:35 -0700 (PDT), mx wrote:

This bike typically just gets a
dozen or so 11 mile commutes per year. Is this something that really
needs to be attended to, or will it grind away without any dramatic
failures for a while?

I've ridden very rough hubs for years - it's slower but I don't think
anything terrible will happen.

Old June 7th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mx

Assuming you cleaned it thoroughly and changed the bearings on rebuild,

Cleaned yes, replaced balls no.

it's either adjusted improperly

quite possible, but while I got it too tight at one point, it now
turns very freely but I can't detect any slop. My slop-detector is
probably not very well-calibrated, since I don't do this very much.
I'm more confident in my ability to lace up a wheel than adjust a
bearing.
Old June 7th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mx

On Jun 7, 8:34*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
I've ridden very rough hubs for years - it's slower but I don't think
anything terrible will happen.

That was the right answer! If it's correct, so much the better. ;-
Old June 7th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"mx" wrote in message

Assuming you cleaned it thoroughly and changed the bearings on rebuild,

Cleaned yes, replaced balls no.

it's either adjusted improperly

quite possible, but while I got it too tight at one point, it now
turns very freely but I can't detect any slop. My slop-detector is
probably not very well-calibrated, since I don't do this very much.
I'm more confident in my ability to lace up a wheel than adjust a
bearing.

Psst - don't tell anyone but new races even from Campy feel slightly rough
until they've run in a bit.

Old June 9th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
mx wrote:

Assuming you cleaned it thoroughly and changed the bearings on rebuild,

Cleaned yes, replaced balls no.

Replace the bearing balls with grade 25 balls. No reason
not to replace the bearing balls when repacking unless
you repack every week. The cones require good adjustment.
A little too tight or loose is bad. Furthermore, quick
release pressure changes cone adjustment enough to matter.
It is not difficult but cone adjustment can require
successive approximations to get right.

--
Michael Press

Rough Braking George Techniques 2 August 29th 07 02:20 AM
RR: Rough One Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 3 July 3rd 07 06:36 AM
wrenchette is having a rough night small change Mountain Biking 5 July 27th 06 03:57 PM
It's been a rough week for the UCI [email protected] Racing 24 March 23rd 06 04:31 AM
Best roadbike for rough pave'? Ozark Bicycle Techniques 0 January 31st 06 10:50 PM