Whats this noise

Old November 2nd 04, 03:40 AM
Terry Johns

Default Whats this noise

When I am riding on my road bike, all of a sudden there is a clunk sound,
like the chain slipped off a tooth or simular, its pretty loud.

My mountain bike used to do it also, but I did not expect my high end road
bike to do it.

And its always under a bit of load, like going up a slight hill.

Thanks for any feedback.
TJ

Old November 2nd 04, 03:58 AM
Tamyka Bell

Terry Johns wrote:

When I am riding on my road bike, all of a sudden there is a clunk sound,
like the chain slipped off a tooth or simular, its pretty loud.

My mountain bike used to do it also, but I did not expect my high end road
bike to do it.

And its always under a bit of load, like going up a slight hill.

Thanks for any feedback.
TJ

Is it JUST the noise or is there also a sensation involved?

Hmm, didn't mean to make that sound dodgy, sorry if it did.
Old November 2nd 04, 04:16 AM
Peter Keller

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:40:34 +1000, Terry Johns wrote:

When I am riding on my road bike, all of a sudden there is a clunk sound,
like the chain slipped off a tooth or simular, its pretty loud.

My mountain bike used to do it also, but I did not expect my high end road
bike to do it.

And its always under a bit of load, like going up a slight hill.

Thanks for any feedback.
TJ

How old is the bike? It could very well be that your chain has stretched,
and the sprockets are worn, leading to a mismatch between the chain pitch
and the tooth pitch.
Chains and sprockets and chain-rings don't last for ever.

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.

Old November 2nd 04, 04:34 AM
bjay

"Terry Johns" wrote in
When I am riding on my road bike, all of a sudden there is a clunk sound,
like the chain slipped off a tooth or simular, its pretty loud.

My mountain bike used to do it also, but I did not expect my high end road
bike to do it.

And its always under a bit of load, like going up a slight hill.

May be the ratchet inside the rear cassette slipping. I used to get this
alot. I assumed it was because the grease was too thick and the little
ratchet thingys were not springing back into place completely after
freewheeling. A quick spray of silicon lubricant inside the cassette stopped
it.

bjay

Old November 2nd 04, 05:16 AM
Jack Russell

Terry Johns wrote:
When I am riding on my road bike, all of a sudden there is a clunk sound,
like the chain slipped off a tooth or simular, its pretty loud.

My mountain bike used to do it also, but I did not expect my high end road
bike to do it.

And its always under a bit of load, like going up a slight hill.

Thanks for any feedback.
TJ

Could be a tight link in the chain.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell
Old November 2nd 04, 08:09 AM
Bailes

Could be a bent rear derailleur hanger, or gears are not tuned correctly.

Old November 2nd 04, 08:57 AM
ritcho

Bailes Wrote:
Could be a bent rear derailleur hanger, or gears are not tune
correctly.

Yep, my first guess is gear index adjustment. Second guess follows
Keller's entry: a worn chain skipping under load.

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old November 2nd 04, 10:22 PM
Tamyka Bell

ritcho wrote:

Bailes Wrote:
Could be a bent rear derailleur hanger, or gears are not tuned
correctly.

Yep, my first guess is gear index adjustment. Second guess follows P
Keller's entry: a worn chain skipping under load.

Ritch

--
ritcho

And if it's your knee or ankle, you're in a bit of a pickle, see a
doctor...

Oh dear, I'm having one of those silly days.