Q on older Trek 8000 specs

Old July 11th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
GWood

Default Q on older Trek 8000 specs

I bought a Trek 8000 for a friend. It is probably from the late 90's
judging from the STX/LX mix and ZX ALU frame material on it. I'm doing some
very minor fixups on it to make it ridable for her, within her limited
budget.

The seatpost seems to be aftermarket, and a bad fit. Does anyone know what
the correct seatpost diameter is for this frame?

Tnx
Gary

p.s. Sorry for the cross-post, wanted to cover both venues where I thought
techies may lurk.

Old July 11th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
GWood

Ooops, typo. That should be ZR Alu frame. Is this the same ZR grade stuff
from the older Klein frames that were absorbed by Trek?

Old July 11th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Bill Sornson

GWood wrote:

p.s. Sorry for the cross-post, wanted to cover both venues where I
thought techies may lurk.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it when topical to both/all
distribution groups. (In fact, it's much more annoying and less effective
when someone posts something like your question /separately/ to two or more
groups, since a member of two or more of then would have to go to the
trouble of replying in each group. Then of course followups get split, and
it's a big freakin' mess in short order.)

Now if I went and /added/, say, the UK Cycling group to the list in my reply
(not to mention silly stuff like that alt.rush thing), THAT would be
cross-posting. eg

Bill "floggittodeathlinson be damned, that's M.O." S.

Old July 12th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Mike Jacoubowsky

I bought a Trek 8000 for a friend. It is probably from the late 90's
judging from the STX/LX mix and ZX ALU frame material on it. I'm doing
some
very minor fixups on it to make it ridable for her, within her limited
budget.

The seatpost seems to be aftermarket, and a bad fit. Does anyone know
what
the correct seatpost diameter is for this frame?

It's likely one of two sizes; either 27.2mm or 31.8. The two sizes are
different enough that they can't possibly be incorrectly interchanged. If
you go back far enough you'll find some 26.8mm and maybe something else, but
I believe it's one of the two sizes I mentioned. Best bet would be to bring
it to a shop and have them check with a seatpost of the relevant size.
Measuring the inside diameter of the seat tube isn't easy or accurate,
because it tube may no longer be entirely round, especially if it had an
incorrect seatpost for a while.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 12th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike

GWood wrote:
I bought a Trek 8000 for a friend. It is probably from the late 90's
judging from the STX/LX mix and ZX ALU frame material on it. I'm doing some
very minor fixups on it to make it ridable for her, within her limited
budget.

The seatpost seems to be aftermarket, and a bad fit. Does anyone know what
the correct seatpost diameter is for this frame?

Tnx
Gary

p.s. Sorry for the cross-post, wanted to cover both venues where I thought
techies may lurk. Invest in a caliber and you won't have to ask questions that can't be answered online. You will be able to use it in the future and it sure comes in handy. My guess the bike is a 97 or 98 by the STX parts.

Madone 5.2 SL Hans C. Techniques 35 September 21st 05 12:35 AM
Opinions Trek 1000 Brett General 31 September 30th 04 06:00 AM
Trek Warranty Problems Strex Australia 10 February 15th 04 11:32 AM
Info on 1986 Trek 620 Mark Traphagen General 2 July 12th 03 02:59 AM