HELP: Where To Put Spare Tire

Old June 7th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Maple Tree

Default HELP: Where To Put Spare Tire

"BobT" wrote in message
. ..

"Maple Tree" wrote in message
Hello,

I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.

Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have
seen it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back
Stays above the rear tire ?

I am wide open to suggestions.

Thank you

I'll take the bait and assume this is a serious question and not a troll:

It is

Many options: larger saddle bag, frame wedge bag, fold and strap under
saddle and bag, jersey pocket, small backpack, handlebar bag, etc.

Hi, I considered some of these, I hadn't considered under the saddle, I
don't think it would work.

Buy why? You have a bike with a retail price of nearly $4,000 will all
kinds of compromises to make it extremely light for full out racing. It
you want to keep with the philosophy of your bike's design (carbon fiber,
non-standard seat post, ultra-light wheels, ultra-light racing tires etc.
get rid of the tubes, carry only a patch kit, a single CO2 cartridge, and
a minimalist tool kit (or maybe no tools).

I am not a racer, I am a club rider. Ultra-light doesn't work for me, to
many flats and the wheels flex, so I have to use heavier components, I
weight 195 lbs, but I am not fat ummm....not that fat

I saw one of my club friends strap a tire to the triangle above the rear
tire, but it was a haphazard set up. Just thought there might be a better
way, without adding any extra bags onto the bike.

Thanks

BobT

Old June 7th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Maple Tree

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
I carry a single tube and a patch kit.
For tire repair I carry a section of
tubular casing and a hunk of... duct
tape. I've never run over anything that
damaged a tire beyond booting with one
of those two.

If you have seen fellow riders break
tires, ask them what kind they are
riding. Don't buy those tires. Tires
shouldn't break.

Bob Schwartz

Not sure, but it does happen from time to time

Old June 7th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Maple Tree" wrote:

Hello,

I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two
spare tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.

Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I
have seen it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to
the back Stays above the rear tire ?

I am wide open to suggestions.

My suggestion is to get a couple of Park emergency tire boots instead.
If you start hauling around replacements for everything that might
break, you'll either need a follow car or a trailer. In 40 years of
riding bikes, I've never not been able to get home due to a tire casing
failure. I've had to boot a few with a dollar bill, PowerBar wrapper or
a Park boot.

If you really want to carry lots of stuff, get a saddlebag that's big
enough:

http://www.velo-orange.com/saddlebag.html

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=20-125

http://www.wallbike.com/carradice/ca...addlebags.html

http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/saddlebag.html

Old June 7th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Maple Tree wrote:

I saw one of my club friends strap a tire to the triangle above the rear
tire, but it was a haphazard set up. Just thought there might be a better
way, without adding any extra bags onto the bike.

Seems like you have your answer then.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old June 7th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:02:07 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech Tim McNamara
wrote:

If you really want to carry lots of stuff, get a saddlebag that's big
enough:

http://seguro.coppel.com/coppel/info...?codigo=516783

I can carry *three* extra parts for *everything*, my repair stand, and
all of my tools... and my electric generator and air compressor to
boot!

And a parachute in case I'm in a high-rise building...

And SCUBA gear in case I fall into the water...

Jones... well prepared for *anything*!

Old June 7th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 7, 12:04*pm, "Maple Tree" wrote:
Hello,

I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. *I keep two spare
tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.

Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
it happen to fellow riders. *Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
above the rear tire ?

I am wide open to suggestions.

Thank you

Dear M,

I see a lot of replies about how you don't need a spare tire, just a
tire boot, which should handle any problem.

A boot can fix some things, but . . .

I carry a spare Kevlar-bead tire rolled up in my seat bag (the four
spare tubes are in my frame triangle bag).

I was delighted to have that spare tire handy when my rear tire crept
off the rim because I dragged my rear brake at low speed down a long
hill:

http://i18.tinypic.com/4t9hswg.jpg

I had stopped and was reaching for the presta valve when the tire blew
and the Slime decorated my leg. The friend I was waiting for arrived a
minute later and took the picture.

Here are the blown-out tire and tube, with a loop of tube stuck
between the destroyed casing and the exposed Kevlar bead:

http://i19.tinypic.com/53r4dp0.jpg

The spoke just propped things up for the picture. I doubt that a boot
would fixed things, so the spare tire was nice to have when I was two
miles from the nearest shade on a hot summer day.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old June 7th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:02:07 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

I've had to boot a few with a dollar bill, PowerBar wrapper or
a Park boot.

Yeah, once for me I think. And once for a friend with a money bill.
Old June 7th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Fred Fredburger[_3_]

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:04:55 -0400, "Maple Tree" wrote:

Hello,

I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.

Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
above the rear tire ?

Put it the same place you keep your spare saddle, seatpost, chain and
brake pads.

Don't forget to bring a spare rider. Just in case you get tired.
Old June 7th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:23:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Here are the blown-out tire and tube, with a loop of tube stuck
between the destroyed casing and the exposed Kevlar bead:

http://i19.tinypic.com/53r4dp0.jpg

Dude,

If I show you a picture of a pair of handelbars damaged on a ride,
does that mean you'll carry a spare set of bars

Cheers