What Right-Wing Governance Does For Cycling

Old March 5th 11, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default What Motorist Advocacy Does For Cycling

On 3/4/2011 7:54 PM, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/4/2011 6:26 AM, Peter Cole wrote:
On 3/3/2011 8:47 PM, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/3/2011 11:31 AM, Peter Cole wrote:
On 3/3/2011 12:03 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 3, 3:22 am, wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:57 pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net" wrote:
Bicycle farcilities (sic) were originated as a way to confine
cyclists
to an area inferior to the motor vehicles, which is hardly a
left-wing
position.

False, bicycle facilities were originated by bicyclists before motor
vehicles existed. But don't let that stop ya.

You mean those facilities called "paved roads"? Bicyclists lobbied
for them, but very few of them were segregated, bike-only
facilities.

Yes, we've made significant progress since then.

Yes, progress in herding cyclists into separate and unequal ghettos.

Right, in the same way I find myself herded onto the beach ghettos
during the summer and the mountain ghettos in winter. Read the studies,
cyclists will go well out of their way to use facilities. You can go the
opposite if you choose, no one is herding anyone.

Put in bicycle lanes, and the motorists will try to herd cyclists into
them.

Ride elsewhere.
Old March 5th 11, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/4/2011 8:40 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:35 pm, wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:26 am, Peter wrote:
Read the studies,
cyclists will go well out of their way to use facilities.

Yep. If you spend ten years telling cyclists "We need bike lanes to
be safe," then put in a bike lane, cyclists will say "Oooh, that's
what _I'm_ going to use, to be safe!" They'll do that even if data
clearly shows there's no increase in safety.

This technique also works for selling underarm deodorant, funny foam
plastic hats, and St. Christopher medals.

Yeah great.

In the city, cute unless I need to go to work or the grocery
or the paint store or bank or whatever.

Given a choice of bike trail or a real county road, I'll
take the road thanks.

YMMV, except I have to pay for all that.

On the "pay" aspect, I still wish the linear parks AKA multi-use paths
were paid for from the park budget, since that's 99% of their use. It
would be a more honest use of public funds.

I can't speak for everywhere, but around here (Boston) most of those
facilities are heavily used by commuters. I don't think they should be
penalized for being used recreationally any more than the highways are
when people use them to go skiing or to the beach.

I think of budget categorization as just a accounting game, but even if
it were truly zero-sum, I'd much rather the funds come from road rather
than recreational budgets, as I feel we have too much of the former and
not enough of the latter.

As I've said, I bet that for one mile of rail trail cost, we could
have every traffic light in the metro area designed and tuned to
detect bikes.

Yes, or perhaps 0.1% of a new fighter plane. So what? This is the same
old "pothole vs. bike lanes" argument. More bikes, more budget -- give
them what they want, stop trying to tell them what they want.
Old March 5th 11, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default What Left-Wing Governance Does For Cycling

On 3/4/2011 8:50 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 4, 3:51 pm, Dan wrote:
On Mar 4, 10:50 am, wrote:

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Mar 4, 3:55 am, Peter wrote:
On 3/3/2011 7:23 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, Peter wrote:
I didn't bring up the topic of safety, Jay did.
Yes, Jay pointed to some hazards of particularly weird bike
facilities. But you were the one who brought up comparative
statistics envy. "I wish we had Portland's safety stats," IIRC.
Yes, that's accurate.

I find facilities more
pleasant, and there doesn't seem to be a safety downside.
That's whitewashing with a very broad brush. Safety downsides of
various badly-conceived facilities have been discussed here often.
You're one small step away from "Any bike facility is a good bike
facility," which is no more sensible than "If Portland is safer,
Boston must be too dangerous." At least, qualify your enthusiasm.
No, I'm not. All I'm saying is, that with all it's flaws, Portland is
still safer than Boston, which has virtually no facilities.

The real question, though, is whether Portland is any safer with
bicycle facilities -- which would be a really hard thing to determine,
particularly with the increased number of riders, some of whom are
riding in to each other.

Facilities as such don't make a lot of difference, IMO. A wide
shoulder and compliant drivers are what makes a difference. If that
shoulder is a marked bike lane, that's fine with me -- it gives me
some legal protection if I get hooked, but practically speaking, more
driver education is required before it gives me much actual or
practical protection. Green boxes, sharrows, etc. make no difference
to me as a cyclist, except that they present slipping hazards when
wet. Separate facilities are populated with walkers and their dogs, so
they are more dangerous in some respects and certainly slower. -- Jay
Beattie.

Well written. I'm totally with Jay on this.

Sure, and I can take it or leave it myself (Mad Max on two wheels :-),
but what they're doing is trying a *lot* of new stuff. Some of it
will work, some won't, none of it will be perfect; but it will provide
lessons, hopefully some good thinking will go into it, and continuous
improvement will happen. Change is messy, but the current car-centric
(what an understatement!) way has got to change, and they're actually
doing something.

But elsewhere in the world of engineering, the approach is not "Let's
try _everything_ on the public and see what works!!!"

If the current approach (which is "bike facility design by landscape
architect") were applied to (say) freeway design, we'd have motorists
sometimes driving on the right, sometimes on the left; sharp S-turns
to get to exit ramps in the middle of three northbound lanes; entrance
ramps with zero visibility of other traffic; telephone poles standing
between the lanes, etc.

And we'd have the American Automobile Association saying "Hey, don't
knock it! It's INNOVATIVE!"

People in the US are merely copying things that have been successfully
used in Europe. Just as the Europeans copied our highway designs.
Old March 5th 11, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/4/2011 4:39 PM, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 3/4/2011 4:34 PM, Peter Cole wrote:

Facilities are aimed at n00bs, cajoling the weekend trail pootler into
trying a shopping trip or a short commute to work in nice weather,
they're not for semi-retired racers or adrenaline junkies.

Maybe but it doesn't stop me from using them at 6:30am on my way to work
before all of the noobs and dog walkers and inline skaters show up.

They're not designed to stop you either. Facilities are quite popular
with experienced cyclists, despite the minority view expressed here.

There are benefits to increasing the numbers of cyclists even for those
who don't want to use the facilities. More modal share means more
transportation budget is available for cycling-specific programs. Those
need not be exclusive to facilities, they might even include those
educational TV spots that Frank pines for.

More cycling visibility isn't a bad thing either WRT general cycling
safety.

See below

Then there's the "safety in numbers"
phenomenon.

Old March 5th 11, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/4/2011 7:57 PM, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/4/2011 3:11 PM, Peter Cole wrote:
On 3/4/2011 2:35 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:26 am, Peter Cole wrote:
Read the studies,
cyclists will go well out of their way to use facilities.

Yep. If you spend ten years telling cyclists "We need bike lanes to
be safe," then put in a bike lane, cyclists will say "Oooh, that's
what _I'm_ going to use, to be safe!" They'll do that even if data
clearly shows there's no increase in safety.

This technique also works for selling underarm deodorant, funny foam
plastic hats, and St. Christopher medals.

Yeah great.

In the city, cute unless I need to go to work or the grocery or the
paint store or bank or whatever.

Given a choice of bike trail or a real county road, I'll take the road
thanks.

YMMV, except I have to pay for all that.

Unlike Jay though, the cyclists who do use those nasty paths support
your shop (unless you ban them on ideological grounds).

I doubt Andy Muzi bans customers on ideological grounds:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3601423733/in/set-72157619269876565/.

There's an anti-folding bike ideology? Where do I sign up?
Old March 5th 11, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/4/2011 8:08 PM, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/4/2011 5:55 AM, Peter Cole wrote:
[...]
No, I'm not. All I'm saying is, that with all it's flaws, Portland is
still safer than Boston, which has virtually no facilities.

Rent:
http://boston.citysearch.com/listings/boston-ma-metro/portable_toilet_rental/82075_10428.

We don't have any of those, either -- you know, budget cuts. A free
economy and small government means people peeing in alleys -- just like
the colorful third world.
Old March 5th 11, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/4/2011 8:11 PM, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:

On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, Peter wrote:
[...]

Madison has a new cycling facilities plan. Streets where the potholes
are less than 18 inches in the largest horizontal dimension and less
than 6 inches deep will be designated as bicycle routes.

Just put in bike lanes. The reduced motor traffic will reduce the
pothole formation -- at least where the vehicles are prohibited. We
never get potholes on the bike paths, even after 30 years. Or keep
"sharing the road" with your fellow "vehicle operators" -- as their
vehicles predictably crater it every year. Have fun!
Old March 5th 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/4/2011 2:35 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Although I have opinions, just like everyone else, I have
voted for a successful candidate less than five times in 40
years of voting every single election (almost all
write-ins). I surely do not set policy nor even influence
The Powers That Be.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 5th 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, Peter wrote:
[...]

I thought we enjoyed that already.

Old March 5th 11, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default What Right-Wing Governance Does For Cycling

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/3/2011 12:12 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/2/2011 12:01 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"TīŋŊm ShermīŋŊnT "
wrote in
message ...
On 3/1/2011 8:04 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"T?m Sherm?n? " wrote in
message ...
Seehttp://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/hotnews/newsdisplay.asp?NewsID=4894.

Remember to thank the budget priorities of upper class tax cuts and
subsidies, when your favorite rural riding routes change from
pavement
road bike unfriendly aggregate surfacing.

I think Minnesota has more miles of roads to maintain than almost any
other
state. If and when we return some asphalt roads to gravel roads, it
just
means that vehicles will have to go slower which will not to be
such a
bad
thing. As far a cycling is concerned, I NEVER see cyclists doing any
riding
on rural roads. Cycling is best restricted to urban areas anyway.

As for raising taxes to pay for ever more and better roads, forget
about
it.
The states and counties are all going broke just like the federal
government. Everyone is already paying more than enough taxes.

Nonsense. The upper classes and corporations are only paying a
fraction
of what they did under the REPUBLICAN Eisenhower Administration
(when the
middle classes were much better off).

But everything is constantly changing. We now live in a global
economy and
the upper classes and corporations can take whatever they have to
foreign
lands. It is what makes it possible for me to shop at Wal-Mart and
not be
robbed. Jeez, try to get up to date if that is possible.

The solution
to all our problems is to stop the spending and to learn to get
along on
less. What we spend on education is especially a boondoggle. Yea,
tighten
the belt and welcome deprivation. It is good for the soul!

The biggest boondoggle is what is spent on subsidizing Wall Street
incomes.

Frankly, I do not understand how Wall Street works at all. I would
never
give those *******s a single penny.

Wall Street produces no added value, leading to the obvious conclusion
that the investment bankers are merely parasites sucking the economic
blood out of the working classes.

The original purpose of the stock market allowing corporations to
raise capital has been perverted into the world's largest de facto
gambling operation and Ponzi scheme.

In theory there is added value in distribution of information and
enhancing more efficient capital allocation. At one time those were
true. To our great benefit.

We seldom agree but I do on this. It's sadly obvious now.

The coming stock market implosion and destruction of the remaining
middle class retirement funds and wealth will make things *very*
interesting in the US in the coming decade. What is apparent is that
the current capitalistic system is like cancer - very successful at
growth for a short time, but eventually it kills the host.

The sickness and arrogance is evident in the current Republican efforts
to break the remaining unionized workers, despite falling wages of these
workers for the last 35 years and great upwards transfer of wealth to
the top 1% over that time. The greed of the super-rich will only be
stopped by the people demanding it, which time will come after things
get bad enough.

Our brief kumbaya moment of agreement has passed .

OT - Ping wing RONSERESURPLUS Racing 0 July 5th 07 03:40 PM
FSA Wing Pro handlebar 42cm, 31.8mm wing profile Mapei58 Marketplace 1 July 21st 06 03:06 AM
FSA K-Wing Carbon Fiber Ross Techniques 1 January 31st 06 06:02 AM
The Militant wing of u.r.c David Martin UK 12 May 3rd 05 03:58 PM
FS: Profile Air Wing TT bar Jimworx Marketplace 0 April 20th 05 04:29 AM