"Bike trailers to relieve road-congestion for charity food deliveries"

Old August 10th 03, 01:44 AM
MeditationMan

Default "Bike trailers to relieve road-congestion for charity food deliveries"

"Bike trailers to relieve road-congestion for charity food deliveries"

Volunteer members of the Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association, a
hobby group, invite all cyclists with bike trailers to help deliver
surplus food donated by Patisserie Saint Honore, Fratelli's Bakery,
and Drive Organics on 19 September 2003, 6pm. (Also every 3rd Friday
of the month thereafter.)

Volunteer cyclists meet at Britannia Community Centre at Commercial
Drive & Napier Streets. Food donations will be taken to Union Gospel
Church.

Help reduce road congestion on Commercial Drive. Cyclists will deliver
donated food to charities without adding to greenhouse gases. Up to
100 lbs. of groceries can be loaded into bicycles and bike trailers
and carried uphill easily.
Old August 10th 03, 01:52 AM
Ron Hardin

MeditationMan wrote:

"Bike trailers to relieve road-congestion for charity food deliveries"

Volunteer members of the Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association, a
hobby group, invite all cyclists with bike trailers to help deliver
surplus food donated by Patisserie Saint Honore, Fratelli's Bakery,
and Drive Organics on 19 September 2003, 6pm. (Also every 3rd Friday
of the month thereafter.)

Volunteer cyclists meet at Britannia Community Centre at Commercial
Drive & Napier Streets. Food donations will be taken to Union Gospel
Church.

Help reduce road congestion on Commercial Drive. Cyclists will deliver
donated food to charities without adding to greenhouse gases. Up to
100 lbs. of groceries can be loaded into bicycles and bike trailers
and carried uphill easily.

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. That's what you exhale.

A 100 lb load makes all uphills 50% steeper, in effect. I pull 160lbs of
softener salt home every few months and it's a huge effect. An uphill you
don't even notice becomes a long grind. A real hill is granny gear time.

Since trailers stick out into traffic, they impede traffic considerably
compared to a bicycle, which tucks out of traffic very neatly; or a car,
which fits right in. And a trailer is mostly going really slowly.

In short, it's a really stupid idea.

On the other hand, the current theory is that global warming is out and
climate variability is in. This means, roughly, the destruction of coral
reefs, and weeds where you want grass.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 10th 03, 04:02 PM
Jym Dyer

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. That's what you exhale.

=v= What utter nonsense. When it comes to greenhouse gases,
quantity is of course as relevant as composition. The CO2
exhaled by the world's fauna is not a relevant quantity, not
even that from an overabundance of _Homo_sapiens_, not even
if all of us were hauling trailers up mountains.

Since trailers stick out into traffic ...

=v= More utter nonsense. First of all, we *are* traffic.
Secondly, I've towed many trailers, and all but one were
narrower than any car. (The one exception was a parade
float.)

On the other hand, the current theory is that global warming
is out and climate variability is in.

=v= Yet more utter nonsense. Global warming remains the
prevailing theory amongst the scientific community. Certainly
there are competing theories, as there always is in science,
but to characterize them as "current" and the prevailing
theory as "out" reflects a fossil-fuel-funded P.R. campaign
rather than scientific objectivity.

=v= Wrong yet again. Dang, bwah, if you're going to be spending
your Saturday nights on the Internet, perhaps you ought to
devote some of that time to ree-search.
_Jym_
Old August 11th 03, 05:43 PM
Dave

If you are so against bike trailers, why do you get your softener salt using
one? Actually, I don't care but I'm just pointing out the contradiction in
your post.

Old August 11th 03, 10:11 PM
Fritz M

Jym Dyer wrote:

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. That's what you exhale.

When it comes to greenhouse gases,
quantity is of course as relevant as composition. The CO2
exhaled by the world's fauna is not a relevant quantity.

That's not even really the issue. CO2 from cars and trucks comes from
burning fossil fuels, resulting in a net increase in atmospheric
carbon. CO2 from humans pulling bikes is just recycling the carbon
that came out of the atmosphere in the first place.

RFM
Old August 11th 03, 11:42 PM
Ron Hardin

Dave wrote:

If you are so against bike trailers, why do you get your softener salt using
one? Actually, I don't care but I'm just pointing out the contradiction in
your post.

What contradiction? I use bike trailers all the time. But not in traffic because
it interferes heavily with it. Cars can get by a bicycle easily (at least me
they can because I'm indian-like in taking up space, back when indians knew about
taking up little space) but a trailer involves having a clear lane in both
directions when the car tries to pass.

is stupidity at its highest. Of course I'd guess that's the point; activists
don't share my politics.

The contradiction you detect comes from your assuming every bike rider shares even
slightly the activist politics; quite the opposite. They're idiots.

I use my bike for almost everything; I would be happiest if nobody else did. The
fewer bikes on the road the happier the motorists are with actual bicyclists, meaning me.

http://www.lodrag.com is my favorite trailer (between it, a Tanjor cargo, and my
old Burley). I have a fleeced floor in the Tanjor for the Doberman, who did not like
the curved floor that comes with it. She was always standing on the internal frame
instead. So now there's available storage space under the floor too. However it raises
her center of gravity enough that I have to have a rule that she either sits or lies
down. No standing while the trailer is in motion.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 12th 03, 01:48 AM
Dave

Sorry I jumped to conclusions Ron... your post seemed overly negative to me
expecially when you yourself appeared to do the same thing this group
proposes. The point about city traffic makes your point of view more
understandable.

I've never used a trailer myself, but what about single wheel trailers like
the Bob... these don't look much wider than the handlebars and with a
single wheel, you could take your normal road placement. Do you think those
would be less invasive to traffic flow?

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

If you are so against bike trailers, why do you get your softener salt

using
one? Actually, I don't care but I'm just pointing out the contradiction

in
your post.

What contradiction? I use bike trailers all the time. But not in traffic

because
it interferes heavily with it. Cars can get by a bicycle easily (at

least me
they can because I'm indian-like in taking up space, back when indians

knew about
taking up little space) but a trailer involves having a clear lane in both
directions when the car tries to pass.

traffic

Old August 12th 03, 02:49 PM
M Gagnon

"Dave" a écrit dans le message de news:
Sorry I jumped to conclusions Ron... your post seemed overly negative to

me
expecially when you yourself appeared to do the same thing this group
proposes. The point about city traffic makes your point of view more
understandable.

I've never used a trailer myself, but what about single wheel trailers

like
the Bob... these don't look much wider than the handlebars and with a
single wheel, you could take your normal road placement. Do you think

those
would be less invasive to traffic flow?

Single-wheel trailers like the BOB have a limited cargo capacity. They are
great on tour, great off road (at least for those who like them), but the
BOB is fairly narrow and might not behave properly if you carry something
heavy and slushy like a pot of soup.

Regarding the 2-wheel trailer, I often pull a 32"-wide 2-children trailer.
The total width it takes is only a few inches wider than elbow width (say,
23-25") or pannier width. A typical single-child trailer or dedicated cargo
trailer is about 25" wide, so it isn't wider than the cyclist per se.
However, the cyclist by itself:
- is more able to zig-gaz between stalled cars or other obstacles (not a
recommended practice, but sometimes necessary);
- is more flexible (if by myself, I can squeeze my elbows and can zig-zag
between potholes more easily);
- can jump curbs if necessary (generally not a recommended practice...);
- may take less space on the road, especially if it is safe to cycle close
to the white line is a nice gravel shoulder to the side, whereas with a
trailer, I have to keep both wheels on asphalt.

Regards

Michel