Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 15th 04, 12:34 PM
Frank X

Default Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf

"james" wrote in message
"Frank X" wrote in message

"Steve Nelson" wrote in message
m...
Greetings,

I am planning to cycle to and from work - from North Kilburn to Canary
Wharf.
1) Its a good idea to cross south from the Isle of Dogs and then
re-cross the river around Tower-Bridge.

No Cable Street is fine

Cable street is quite slow and involves an on-pavement contraflow
cycle eastbound plus a very slow contra flow cycle phase on a set of
lights (for which you have to push a button). The cyle lane (which
you have to use in some of the one way sections) gives way to all side
roads. From the OP's description of himself I would suggest
considering the A13 or the A1203. IME the A1203 has higher peak
speeds but more space.

Yep that contra flow lane is damn stupid ;o) But the road is quiet so if
you're pootling along it is fine. Can't remember the A1203 in rush hour,
but it's OK at other times. Is it not one long jam in the rush hour?

I have never had the bottle to ignore the no-cycling signs on the
limehouse link although a cyclist who can reliably hold 20-25mph for
most of a kilometre including a shallow up gradient shouldn't have
much trouble IMO. You could just follow the A13 then West India Dock
Road or cut through the park by Butcher Row (bridge over tunnel
approach) which delivers you onto Horseferry Road then narrow street.
This is probably not much slower than the main roads.

Very pleasant down Hoeseferry etc too.

I wouldn't go through the tunnel (I don't know if they enforce the limits
now but it used to be that 50 mph was common). Going down to Island Gardens
I prefered Marsh Wall/ East Ferry Rd to West Ferry Rd.

best wishes
james

FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Lane Cove to North Sydney - Suggestions for cycle commute? Dave_H Australia 12 August 21st 03 01:16 PM
Who reckons they have the longest cycle commute? Toby Barrett UK 17 August 8th 03 08:16 PM