Disc brake problem

Old October 14th 03, 06:56 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Disc brake problem

One of those little things with the potential to spoil your whole day:
I heard a metallic clattering from the back of the bike this evening,
stoped to investigate and found that the sole remaining screw
retaining the rear disc was almost out. There were six in there last
time I checked, which was only a couple of days ago.

Needless to say the hub is shot (Deore - will replace with LX, in the
vain hope that the new one is not made of cheese as the old one
evidently is).

I removed the disc and tried hard to remember not to use the left hand
on the way back. The bike shop was closed.

So it's back on the upwrong tomorrow.

Anyone know how to add a service port to Sendmail? Be good to get one
thing working today :-/

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old October 14th 03, 07:06 PM
Chris Gerhard

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Anyone know how to add a service port to Sendmail? Be good to get one
thing working today :-/

Add these lines to your mc file:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=28, Name=MTA28')

rebuild the .cf file and you are away.

--
Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

Old October 14th 03, 07:18 PM
Ian

Just zis Guy, you know? must be edykated coz e writed:

[...]

Hope make some nice hubs.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old October 14th 03, 07:40 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:06:19 +0000 (UTC), Chris Gerhard
wrote:

Add these lines to your mc file:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=28, Name=MTA28')

Far too easy - that's to get Sendmail to listen on 28; I want to
forward to another server on the same machine on (e.g.) port 2525.
Allegedly this can be achieved by setting (e.g.) define
(`SMTP8_MAILER_ARGS',`TCP $h 2525') in the .mc file and using (e.g.)
mydomain.com smtp8:[127.0.0.1] in the mailertable but This Does Not
Work which is a bummer.

I am thinking about changing the approach, though, as I could easily
enough map port 25 on my router to a non-standard port on my internal
server, and I could then use Sendmail just to handle inbound, which
has a certain attraction as the main reason for using Sendmail is the
spamass-milter (and possibly a virus scan). This is definitely Much
Easier since changing the daemon port is, as you say, trivial.
Actually I just went away, changed it, tested the non-standard port,
changed it back and tested it again in the interval since you posted
the above...

I could also give up and use procmail, but that would be the wimp's
way out ;-)

Guy
===
Old October 14th 03, 08:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"Just zis Guy, you know?" writes:

Anyone know how to add a service port to Sendmail? Be good to get one
thing working today :-/

OK, what exactly is it you want to do? Do you want to get it to listen
on a port other than 25 for SMTP protocol connections? If you just
want to get it to listen _on_ 25 then all you need is 'sendmail -bd',
but I'm sure you know this.

;; lovely alternative to rice.
Old October 15th 03, 01:05 AM
James Annan

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
One of those little things with the potential to spoil your whole day:
I heard a metallic clattering from the back of the bike this evening,
stoped to investigate and found that the sole remaining screw
retaining the rear disc was almost out. There were six in there last
time I checked, which was only a couple of days ago.

Needless to say the hub is shot (Deore - will replace with LX, in the
vain hope that the new one is not made of cheese as the old one
evidently is).

You'll be wanting locktite, or some of the Shimano designs to stop the
bolts unscrewing. Of course on no account should anyone try to analyse
why the bolts came unscrewed, and any similarity between a threaded bolt
holding the rotor in place, and a threaded skewer holding the wheel in
place is entirely coincidental...

James

Old October 15th 03, 02:41 AM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

Far too easy - that's to get Sendmail to listen on 28; I want to

Sendmail is Old Unix, from the days when core memory on a mainframe
was measured in kilobytes, and processor cycles even less. To run
them required deep wizardry on the part of the humans in charge.
Sendmail was written for that environment. I used to have just
about enough of the arcane knowledge to tinker with the rulesets,
but was pleased to get away from it in about '97.

If you want an easy life, you want a modern MTA.

[1] It wasn't new at the time of my first job - and we had to 'phone the
operators to arrange to run any program that required more than about 2K.
Oh, and that was at one of the biggest software houses in the country.

[...]

Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8
(The Economist, July 2002)
Old October 15th 03, 09:35 AM
Simon Brooke

"Just zis Guy, you know?" writes:

I could also give up and use procmail, but that would be the wimp's
way out ;-)

Well it may be, but it makes life very easy.

simon@beesianum:~$ more /etc/procmailrc
:0fw
| su - $LOGNAME -c "/usr/bin/spamc -f -d $SPAMDHOST -p 783 -u $LOGNAME"

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.
Old October 15th 03, 10:13 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"James Annan" wrote in message

You'll be wanting locktite, or some of the Shimano designs to stop the
bolts unscrewing. Of course on no account should anyone try to analyse
why the bolts came unscrewed, and any similarity between a threaded bolt
holding the rotor in place, and a threaded skewer holding the wheel in
place is entirely coincidental...

The screws were in with Loctite. I use Loctite on most of the bolts &
screws on the back end of my bike, the suspension allows more vibration than
on a rigid bike and if you don't Loctite things they fall off.

I'm not going to be drawn on the bolts & skewers thing....

Just as well the back brake is primarily decorative, really ;-)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Old October 15th 03, 10:53 AM
Tony Raven

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

The screws were in with Loctite.

Which, according to Boltscience is one of the three proven ways to prevent
vibration loosening ;-)
http://www.boltscience.com/pages/vibloose.htm

Tony
--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain