Braking while turning

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 18th 03, 04:43 PM

Default Braking while turning

One thing I have noticed is how differently bicycles handle when the rear
brake is applied compared to the front brake.

While braking with the front wheel and turning, the rear wheel naturally
swings around follows through the turn. The steering feels the same as if
the brake wasn't applied.

When the rear brake is applied while turning it feels like a force is
pulling rear tire in a straight line backwards causing it to not want to
swing around and follow the path of the front tire. The bike plows though
the turn. Even when the bike is traveling in a straight line the bike
doesn't feel nearly as controllable as it would with the front brake is
applied.

Is there a physics explanation for this? Even the seasoned riders at the
bike shop give me a wierd look when I tell them I hardly ever use the rear
brake.
--
----

Thoughts on braking John Appleby General 76 August 11th 03 10:30 AM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM
brake pads are wider than braking surface Michael Techniques 2 July 10th 03 05:45 PM