Mountain biking and snakes

Old May 7th 05, 11:23 PM

Default Mountain biking and snakes

Saw my first snake the other day while mountain biking (yes, the first
one on five years of mountain biking!) - in fact I damn
near ran over it.

Question: now that I'm spooked and paranoid, what protection (if any)
do you other MTB'ers use against snakes - or do you just assume (as I
have for five years) that you won't come across any.

I would imagine long knicks wouldn't afford much protection

Old May 8th 05, 03:19 AM
Peter McCallum

wrote:

Saw my first snake the other day while mountain biking (yes, the first
one on five years of mountain biking!) - in fact I damn
near ran over it.

Question: now that I'm spooked and paranoid, what protection (if any)
do you other MTB'ers use against snakes - or do you just assume (as I
have for five years) that you won't come across any.

I would imagine long knicks wouldn't afford much protection

I recall reading that about three times as many people die each year in
Australia from bee sting as snake bite, so you need to think rationally
about how much risk is involved.

I read a story about a cyclist killed by a taipan up here in Mackay, but
that was many decades ago. So it seems that the incidence of cyclists
being killed by snakebite, at least around this part of the world, is
relatively low. Then again, most of the venemous varieties live down
south ... thinks ... is that because there are so many rats to attract
them??

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old May 8th 05, 09:12 AM
SteppenW

I recall reading that about three times as many people die each year in
Australia from bee sting as snake bite, so you need to think rationally
about how much risk is involved.

Another interesting stat - that more people die falling off Ayers Rock each
year than are killed in shark attacks[1]. Actually, that's the interesting
thing about stats - if carefully selected, they can prove almost anything
you wish[2].

Neil
[1] That was when you could still climb the rock. Dunno if you still can.
[2] Whereas lies and damned lies depend on your political stance.

Old May 8th 05, 09:50 AM
Peter McCallum

SteppenW wrote:
Another interesting stat - that more people die falling off Ayers Rock each
year than are killed in shark attacks[1]. Actually, that's the interesting
thing about stats - if carefully selected, they can prove almost anything
you wish[2].

Statistically speaking that's not 100 per cent true. [3]

Neil
[1] That was when you could still climb the rock. Dunno if you still can.

http://www.deh.gov.au/parks/uluru/no-climb.html

The Uluru climb is the traditional route taken by ancestral Mala men
upon their arrival to Uluru. Anangu do not climb Uluru because of its
great spiritual significance.

Anangu have not closed the climb. They prefer that you - out of
education and understanding - choose to respect their law and culture by
not climbing. Remember that you are a guest on Anangu land.

Also, Anangu traditionally have a duty to safeguard visitors to their
land. They feel great sadness when a person dies or is hurt.

[2] Whereas lies and damned lies depend on your political stance.

[3] "You can fool some of the people some of the time and all of the
people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the
time."
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old May 8th 05, 10:09 AM

"Peter" == Peter McCallum writes:
Peter [3] "You can fool some of the people some of the time and all
Peter of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the
Peter people all of the time."

If someone's fooled all the people all the time then that will never be
known.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old May 8th 05, 11:42 AM
spook

Peter McCallum wrote:

I recall reading that about three times as many people die each year in
Australia from bee sting as snake bite, so you need to think rationally
about how much risk is involved.

I read a story about a cyclist killed by a taipan up here in Mackay, but
that was many decades ago. So it seems that the incidence of cyclists
being killed by snakebite, at least around this part of the world, is
relatively low. Then again, most of the venemous varieties live down
south ... thinks ... is that because there are so many rats to attract
them??

I've seen a few snakes mostly off to the side of trails minding thier
own business. I've noticed when I'm doing long hauls uphill like riding
the Oaks Trail backwards from Glenbrook to Woodford, that you tend to
see far more (and other wildlife as well), mostly because you're
travelling so slowly. I'm sure they are still there when you're
whistling past in the opposite direction at 40km/h+ just your eyes tend
to be focussed more on the trails. FWIW body armour may provide some
protection, but I'm not about to rush out and test the theory.

Bees on the other hand I think are far worse. I've been hit twice to
date. Last time was on my commute to work coming down a steep hill and
straight into my cheek. I was probably doing mid 40's and was like
getting banged in the face by a hammer.

Brett