Keeping your Tires Pumped Up on Multiday Rides

Old May 18th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Keeping your Tires Pumped Up on Multiday Rides

Unltil yesterday, I was resigned to all bike pumps suck. I have tried
almost every pump available in search of a decent pump. But I keep
going back to my Zephal XP. It is flimsy, doesn't really want to pump
above 60 psi, and takes about a million strokes to inflate a tire but
it is still better than anyting else I've tried.

Yesterday, I had my first flat of the year and came home with a smile.
The new pump actually pumped my tires up to 1oo psi quickly and easily.
It might even have been easier and quicker than my floor pump.

This year out of habit I bought the latest pump I found, an improved
version of the MiniFootPump from Germany. The MiniFootPump had looked
promising, but just didn't want to stay under my foot and petered out
around 60 psi.

The Air Revolution from the same folks is a joy to use. I wrote up the
details in my blog at www.ebent.wordpress.com. It's not quite as small
as I would like 6" long and 3 1/2" in diameter and weighs 17 oz. This
is not a pump you are going to hang off of the frame. You will need to
find a spot for it in a rack trunk or a pannier. It has a great
coupling to schrader valves, but I am not sure how well it will couple
to presta. I stopped using prestas about the same time I decided that
clipless pedals were not the best choice for self contained touring on
a LWB USS recumbent, about 6 years ago so can't really comment..

But this pump is tyhe solution to the question "How will I keep my
tires pumped up on a 1000 mile ride through Washington, Oregon, and
Idaho in July?".

Roland

Dover, NH
www.ebent.com

Old May 18th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

wrote:
[...]

Unless you are hyping this, it is too big and nowhere near as effective
as some mini-pumps widely available. I have used the Topeak Road Morph
on long tours, have (easily) pumped tires of others to 120psi, and it
hangs easily off the back of my seat tube. Use if on Presta valves most
of the time, but have used it on schraeder, too, to help out those I
find stranded without pumps/patches.

- rick

Old May 18th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

David Kerber wrote:

In article .com,
says...

But this pump is tyhe solution to the question "How will I keep my
tires pumped up on a 1000 mile ride through Washington, Oregon, and
Idaho in July?".

Unless you are hyping this, it is too big and nowhere near as effective
as some mini-pumps widely available. I have used the Topeak Road Morph
on long tours, have (easily) pumped tires of others to 120psi, and it
hangs easily off the back of my seat tube. Use if on Presta valves most
of the time, but have used it on schraeder, too, to help out those I
find stranded without pumps/patches.

- rick

I second the Road Morph suggestion. Best small pump I've found, and
I've tried several. It has a pressure gauge, easily gets over 120psi if
needed, and it has a hose, so you set it on the ground to pump. That
makes it's much easier on your arms and your valve stem. It's not the
cheapest pump around, but worth evey penny.

My Performance Hurricane mini-max that works the same way (hose and fold
out base for your foot) is also very effective - and cheap.

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO