Peugeot

Old January 3rd 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daniel

Default Peugeot

Hey everyone. I recently pulled a steel Peugeot frame out of a bike
pile and I am really excited to put it together. The only thing I am
noticing though is the bottom bracket spindles are not familiar to me.
They are kind of D shaped. Anyone have any insight on what kind of
spindle this might be? Would it be possible to replace the spindle
with a more modern type so I can put some newer cranks on it? I also
got a nice set of track wheels from the pile, they have cool engravings
all around the rim surface...very fancy to my eyes!

Old January 3rd 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Daniel wrote:
Hey everyone. I recently pulled a steel Peugeot frame out of a bike
pile and I am really excited to put it together. The only thing I am
noticing though is the bottom bracket spindles are not familiar to me.
They are kind of D shaped. Anyone have any insight on what kind of
spindle this might be? Would it be possible to replace the spindle
with a more modern type so I can put some newer cranks on it? I also
got a nice set of track wheels from the pile, they have cool engravings
all around the rim surface...very fancy to my eyes!

Probably a cottored crank and yes, replace away just be advised that
the BB shell is French threaded. Not hard to find, but not common
either.

Old January 3rd 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Hey everyone. I recently pulled a steel Peugeot frame out of a bike
pile and I am really excited to put it together. The only thing I am
noticing though is the bottom bracket spindles are not familiar to me.
They are kind of D shaped. Anyone have any insight on what kind of
spindle this might be? Would it be possible to replace the spindle
with a more modern type so I can put some newer cranks on it? I also
got a nice set of track wheels from the pile, they have cool engravings
all around the rim surface...very fancy to my eyes!

Probably a cottored crank and yes, replace away just be advised that
the BB shell is French threaded. Not hard to find, but not common
either.

For French threaded parts, check out Sheldon's excellent site:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html

Everything you need to know and more!

Old January 3rd 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

Daniel wrote:
Hey everyone. I recently pulled a steel Peugeot frame out of a bike
pile and I am really excited to put it together. The only thing I am
noticing though is the bottom bracket spindles are not familiar to me.
They are kind of D shaped. Anyone have any insight on what kind of
spindle this might be? Would it be possible to replace the spindle
with a more modern type so I can put some newer cranks on it? I also
got a nice set of track wheels from the pile, they have cool engravings
all around the rim surface...very fancy to my eyes!

Probably a cottored crank and yes, replace away just be advised that
the BB shell is French threaded. Not hard to find, but not common
either.

For French threaded parts, check out Sheldon's excellent site:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html

Everything you need to know and more!

For French BB parts without the price gouging, check out "Hampbike" on
eBay. Nice Sugino cups, with a set of grade 25 bearing balls, for under
20 bucks.

Just say "no" to getting screwed!

Old January 4th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Those D-shaped spindles are "cottered crank" spindles, you probably
have a 1970's bike-boom 10-speed, a low-end model, weighing about
28-30 lbs.

You _may_ have french-threaded bottom bracket cups, which are no
longer made. In that case you have 2 options for installing a modern
square-tapered crank :

(a) Buy the phil wood retaining rings for french-threaded cups
(www.philwood.com). The bottom bracket itself may be Phil Wood, or
Shimano UN-72 or IRD Tange bottom bracket (www.interlocracing.com)
(the latter 2 are cartridge models where _both_ cups can be removed.)

(b) Buy a sugino square-tapered spindle and re-use the existing cups.
You can find the list of available sugino square-tapered spindles at
www.harriscyclery.com in the bottom brackets section.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old January 4th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

Donald Gillies wrote:

(a) Buy the phil wood retaining rings for french-threaded cups
(www.philwood.com). The bottom bracket itself may be Phil Wood, or
Shimano UN-72 or IRD Tange bottom bracket (www.interlocracing.com)
(the latter 2 are cartridge models where _both_ cups can be removed.)

I've done the UN-72 thing and it works great.

Do you know for sure that the Tange/IRD one will work though? The
cartridge diameter looks WAY too big to fit inside a Phil Wood cup. The
reason a UN-72 worked was not just its dual removable cups, but also
because its diameter is close enough to that of a Phil. If you've
gotten one to work, great; but I SERIOUSLY doubt it would.

(b) Buy a sugino square-tapered spindle and re-use the existing cups.
You can find the list of available sugino square-tapered spindles at
www.harriscyclery.com in the bottom brackets section.

Most French BBs had thin cups, and the spindles need bearing races
spaced wide enough. Italian ("5 series") spindles work, but Harris no
longer has those. TA spindles work too, but the spindle costs almost as
much as a Phil cartridge. The cheapest option I've found is the Sugino
thick-walled cups and an English-68mm ("3 series") spindle.

Peugeots are great! I've got a '75 PX10, and my brother has a '72 PR10.
Fine, fine bicycles, those Peugeots!

Old January 4th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Daniel wrote:
Hey everyone. I recently pulled a steel Peugeot frame out of a bike
pile and I am really excited to put it together. The only thing I am
noticing though is the bottom bracket spindles are not familiar to me.
They are kind of D shaped. Anyone have any insight on what kind of
spindle this might be? Would it be possible to replace the spindle
with a more modern type so I can put some newer cranks on it? I also
got a nice set of track wheels from the pile, they have cool engravings
all around the rim surface...very fancy to my eyes!

Using your cups, you can change the spindle:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/bbopt.html

You have Peugeot's distinctive pattern of steel rim by Rigida. If you
find that stamped pattern attractive, keep the rear. Get an aluminum
front rim which will stop. Steel rims are lousy for braking and dismal
when wet.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 4th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:18:47 -0600, A Muzi
wrote:

Daniel wrote:
Hey everyone. I recently pulled a steel Peugeot frame out of a bike
pile and I am really excited to put it together. The only thing I am
noticing though is the bottom bracket spindles are not familiar to me.
They are kind of D shaped. Anyone have any insight on what kind of
spindle this might be? Would it be possible to replace the spindle
with a more modern type so I can put some newer cranks on it? I also
got a nice set of track wheels from the pile, they have cool engravings
all around the rim surface...very fancy to my eyes!

Using your cups, you can change the spindle:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/bbopt.html

You have Peugeot's distinctive pattern of steel rim by Rigida. If you
find that stamped pattern attractive, keep the rear. Get an aluminum
front rim which will stop. Steel rims are lousy for braking and dismal
when wet.

Steel is (depending on the pad material; leather is a good choice)
slightly better than Aluminium alloy, especially anodised aluminium
alloy, when dry.
Old January 4th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Everett

On 3 Jan 2007 22:27:08 -0800, "Hank Wirtz" wrote:

Peugeots are great! I've got a '75 PX10, and my brother has a '72 PR10.
Fine, fine bicycles, those Peugeots!

Generally I'd agree, but from the OP's description (cottered cranks)
it sounds as though he's got an (ugh) UO-8. :-(

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old January 4th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

A Muzi wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Hey everyone. I recently pulled a steel Peugeot frame out of a bike
pile and I am really excited to put it together. The only thing I am
noticing though is the bottom bracket spindles are not familiar to me.
They are kind of D shaped. Anyone have any insight on what kind of
spindle this might be? Would it be possible to replace the spindle
with a more modern type so I can put some newer cranks on it? I also
got a nice set of track wheels from the pile, they have cool engravings
all around the rim surface...very fancy to my eyes!

Using your cups, you can change the spindle:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/bbopt.html

I'm glad to see you still have 5 series spindles listed.

Just out of curiosity, since you carry them and are the sort to try,
are the Tange cartridge BBs of an appropriate diameter to be used with
Phil Wood rings? I've seen the idea put forth because they have two
removable cups, but I think they'd be too big. I'm curious to know for
sure whether it would work or not, because UN72s are few and far
between these days.

Peugeot UO-12 Mordechai Techniques 2 May 27th 06 12:42 AM
Modernising a Peugeot U08 Darb80 Techniques 5 August 3rd 05 05:40 PM
Peugeot ? Slavko Vorkapitch General 30 September 9th 04 07:55 AM
Peugeot ? Slavko Vorkapitch Techniques 51 September 9th 04 07:55 AM