Muscle Memory & Unicycling?

Old November 14th 08, 09:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
evil-nick

Default Muscle Memory & Unicycling?

I unicycled to a party tonight, because A) I wanted to get there faster
than walking, and B) I was planning on drinking there, and pushing a
unicycle home is much easier than pushing a Honda home.

After said party, when I had imbibed some, to the point where I was
obviously intoxicated, and in no shape to drive, I found I was able to
freemount, bunny-hop in place, and ride significant distances. While
muscle memory is an amazing thing, I would think that unicycling would
be much more difficult than driving (no worry about balance), or typing,
yet I find myself having to backspace quite a lot. Have other folks
observed the same results, that unicycling is so ingrained in reflex and
the muscles that it can be performed while under the influence?

--
evil-nick

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
Old November 14th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

you need to go to more conventions for the best answer

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old November 14th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Kids, everyone here, lets get drunk and unicycle so we can provide some
data for this question!

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
Old November 14th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

Age plays a factor; I'm assuming you can do many things drunk at 30
that you cannot do at 50.

--
BillyTheMountain

All the lower animals are Atheist, which proves reason actually has
nothing to do with Atheism.-Raphael

Rocks are atheists, air is an atheist, and the planet venus is an
atheist.-DisgruntledDave
[Dave was disgruntled before I ever misquoted him.]
Old November 14th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

mikepenton;1130843 wrote:
you need to go to more conventions for the best answer

indeed, I have often seen friends unable to stand up and walk unaided,
but still capable of wheelwalking

--
kington99

Dave

Old November 14th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

I think you have to be pretty drunk to even try unicycling at all.

I'll have to try it sober sometime...I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW: that was one of the more coherent drunk-posts I have ever read.

--
Bondo

Apply Directly to a Unicycle.

'w00tni|iciou$n3s$Rof1iwins'
(http://tinyurl.com/5fcdr2)
Old November 14th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

I'll actually second that. I've never really been... drunk drunk, but I
had maybe 7 beers or something in Denmark at Unicon one night and,
though I could still walk in a straight line without difficulty and all
that, I definitely didn't feel like myself. I could still ride my guni
without any difficulty, though... I did notice that it felt like I was
riding on slippery ground. I'd come out of a steep turn, and the wheel
would keep twisting under me as if I were turning sharp on a slippery
tile floor, or something. Other than that, it didn't feel any different.
Straaange

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!
Old November 14th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danny Colyer

evil-nick;1130832 wrote:
Have other folks observed the same results, that unicycling is so
ingrained in reflex and the muscles that it can be performed while under
the influence?

I actually find hopping up steps easier (i.e. possible) when I've had a
few, because I'm less worried about cocking it up and hurting myself.

I remember years ago riding quite happily across a convention field
back to my tent after 8 pints of Ash Vine bitter. Mind you, I had quite
a high alcohol tolerance at that time, having just completed 4 years at
university.

On another occasion, while riding home from the pub, a WPC [1]
commented: "I bet you can't do that after a few pints". Evidently my
riding style didn't show, at least to the casual observer, that I'd just
had a few pints.

[1] Translation for Americans and other non-English speakers: Woman
Police Constable, a term which I believe is no longer used by the
police.

--
Danny Colyer

'http://www.redpedals.co.uk' (http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/)
"I don't think proofreading is adequate. All posts should be waxed and
buffed. Then they should wear little tuxedos." - Greg Harper on usenet
Old November 14th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

I do whats called the two beer test. After I feel that I have mastered a
new skill such as riding up a sidewalk curbs I will drink two beers and
see if I still have the skill mastered!

At a batchelor party I put down about 15 drinks and sill felt very
agile on the unicycle.

Last Tuesday I went to a wedding and also got plastered. In the morning
I was not hung over but still drunk. I met up with a friend for a MUni
ride and was definetly not up to par but was still able to do the ride.
I did not attempt any of the more dangerous sections of the trails.

You can still do anything drunk but just not as good as you can when
completely sober. Your soordination and alertness slows down but it does
not shut off. That is until you pass out!

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!

'The Unicycling Commune' (http://tinyurl.com/3xkd8d)
Old November 14th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

evil-nick;1130832 wrote:
Have other folks observed the same results, that unicycling is so
ingrained in reflex and the muscles that it can be performed while under
the influence?

I can vouch for this effect. I can ride a uni when I have trouble
walking a straight line. I dare say that for life-long and regular
riders, the unicycle is a bit of an intoxicated persons "cloaking
device", making it possible for you to pass for sober - and get from
place to place wtihout detection by police and passers by. I'm pretty
sure that the perception that unicycling is difficult to near impossible
by the average joe/policeman will function almost better than a field
sobriety test.

So kids, go out and drink yourself silly, but remember to bring your
uni to get to and from the party, rave, playbround, bar or . . .
drainage culvert or where ever you do your drinking.

Also, there's a short bit about the field "sobriety test" concept in
this short video that a bunch of us did for a local film festival. Its
in the middle somewhere, after the little kids start cursing and asking
questions:
Unicycle
*******s Invade Portland

Brycer1968

--
brycer1968

muscle sunburn recycled[_2_] General 5 August 4th 08 04:10 AM
More muscle biopsies = more $$ Gags Australia 10 December 10th 07 09:38 AM
muscle cramps fred Techniques 20 August 9th 05 07:48 PM
Muscle jiggle SuperFly General 8 August 6th 05 05:14 AM
Muscle stimulating, indeed. supabonbon Mountain Biking 9 October 10th 04 01:30 AM