Odd Hub Design (Pros vs. Cons?)

Old November 16th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
adjuggler

Default Odd Hub Design (Pros vs. Cons?)

I found a hub on 'Danscomp.com' (danscomp.com) called the 'ECLET TECK
FRONT HUB' (http://www.danscomp.com/427115.php?cat=PARTS). I was
wondering what the benefit's or possible "fails" are of having a hub
without flanges were.
From what I can speculate is that it would virtually eliminate any
"flanges warping" (duh!) that some of the KH '07's had. Then on the
negative side I would guess more of the force would go directly into the
spokes causing more chance for breaking and going out of true. But I
really have no idea . What about you all, have any idea?

[image: http://www.danscomp.com/images/products/mid_427115.gif]

--
adjuggler

-Last edited by 'SixSixOne' (sixsixone.com) :
'Youtube-ay' (youtube.com/adjuggler) at
'Vim:eo' (vimeo.com/adjuggler) PM.-
'Belle Isle Richmond, VA (Comp Thread)' (http://tinyurl.com/5c9sdu)
-David
Old November 16th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jeremy R

I think it would be a B*tch to lace!

--
Jeremy R

'_*BRING_ROUNDCROWNS_BACK!*_'
(http://unicycle.uk.com/Images/Shop/framecoloured1.jpg)
'661' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'MountainUni' (http://www.mountainuni.com/splash.asp)
spam ban kaboom - Gilby
Old November 16th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Do they make the spokes in the size you would need? Looks pretty clear
you can't use regular ones...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old November 16th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Straight pull spokes are less likely to fail. Almost all spoke failures
are at the bend before the flange where the material is stressed the
most.

I hope you don't think you can use this hub for a unicycle.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old November 16th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
adjuggler

harper;1131778 wrote:
I hope you don't think you can use this hub for a unicycle.

Why not? I mean just modify it of course, but I mean that sort of
idea. Without flanges.

Old November 16th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

adjuggler;1131858 wrote:
Why not? I mean just modify it of course, but I mean that sort of idea.
Without flanges.

you would need to modify the idea of it. Not the hub itself. Maybe make
your own hub similar to it?

--
unibikeling

"-I'll learn the landing after I do the take off-"

'Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!' (sixsixone.com)
'My Videos' (http://www.youtube.com/user/lardmcfatso)

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old November 16th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I am guessing that you have to take the hub shell off the axle to lace.
That would be a pain to do with a unicycle as you also have bearings to
deal with.

Having it removable like that would introduce yet another place where
the hub would be likely to develop some slop over time. I could be
totally wrong about removing the shell to lace though I don't see how
else to do it with that hub.

Spokes would be harder to get and you might have to have them custom
cut.

In some situations it may be easier to replace a broken spoke. (spokes
on the far side do not get in the way)

It would build a stronger wheel that stays true longer and does not
require as much stress relieving after being built. (shorter break in
period)

Stiffer wheel.

No more bent flanges.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 16th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

Seems like a really cool idea, high flanges are usually used to create a
more rigid wheel so a wheel w/o flanges (or low flanges) would be
noticeably more flexy than a hub with flanges similar to a normal uni
hub. If you created an angled (high) flange hub designed for
straight-pull spokes, all the spokes could load easily from the outside
and create a strong wheel with good rigidity. The manufacturing process
would require more machining, and might be slightly heavier, however the
flanges could be made lighter (larger or more cutouts) due to the
straight pull on the flange.

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.
Old November 16th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spudman

johnfoss;1131775 wrote:
Do they make the spokes in the size you would need? Looks pretty clear
you can't use regular ones...

Actually, I'm pretty sure this hub does use normal spokes. They don't
come out of the hub radially, it's designed for a 4-cross pattern. The
shoulder of the spoke is the part that sits in the hole, and the spoke
lays tangent to the outside of the hub. I saw one on my friend's bmx
bike a month or so ago... I think he said it's great for not screwing up
spokes during grinds.

Awesome design, but I think it'd be a little hard to make work with a
unicycle hub.

--
Spudman
Old November 16th 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saam

[image: http://s3.amazonaws.com/pijin/hub.si...ect.white.jpg]

--
saam

Sam

yoopers wrote:
I ALWAYS have the last word in any discussion..."Yes, dear."

TUFO Tires - Pros & Cons ??? Maple Tree Racing 27 June 10th 08 10:27 AM
TUFO Tires - Pros & Cons ??? Maple Tree Techniques 41 June 10th 08 10:27 AM
Pros and cons of XTR Friday Australia 30 October 15th 06 03:29 PM
Pros and Cons of a brake on a trials uni shanek Unicycling 12 August 24th 06 05:07 AM
Cannondale Raven (used).......pros & cons? Jay Adair Mountain Biking 5 August 12th 04 09:07 PM