on Bush and his crashes

Old August 7th 04, 07:25 AM
Raoul Duke

Default on Bush and his crashes

"Todd Kuzma" wrote in message

We're hard to
beat when it comes to slavery though!

Well, actually, we are. We abolished it many years ago. It still exists in
Africa.

http://www.iabolish.com/today/features/sudan/

Dave

Old August 7th 04, 05:02 PM
Todd Kuzma

gwhite wrote:

Would that be the Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton,
or Bush administrations whose Cuba policies you find inconsistant? I
guess it must be Bush 43,... right?

Well, our trade with China and Vietnam were pretty much nil
under Johnson and Nixon and haven't reached any significant
levels until the 1980s at the earliest. I don't claim that
any party or president is better in this regard.

The fact is, whether we trade with a communist country or
not has little to do with the fact that they are communist.
It has to do with various political and economic
realities. For Cuba, the political benefits of refusing to
trade are greater that the economic benefits of opening trade.

China's communist government ensures that wages will remain
obscenely low compared to the West. That means that WalMart
can offer the lowest priced goods. You cannot get those
wages in a free market economy.

So, if what's good for WalMart is good for America, then
communism is good for America. We are a country of people
who demand fair wages for ourselves but refuse to pay them
for others.

Todd Kuzma
Heron Bicycles
Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com
http://www.tullios.com

Old August 7th 04, 08:03 PM
Tom Sherman

Todd Kuzma wrote:

So, if what's good for WalMart is good for America, then communism is
good for America. We are a country of people who demand fair wages for
ourselves but refuse to pay them for others....

Do people in the US really demand fair wages for themselves? The minimum
wage has fallen well behind inflation over the last three decades to the
point where it is not a living wage, and only the bloated salaries of
top executives have kept overall real wages from falling over the same
period. Every year, lower and middle class people in the US work for
longer hours for the same or lesser compensation.

There is a class war between the holders of capital and labor in the US,
and capital has been winning for the last 25 years. Of course, the
"liberal" media (owned by capital) denies this is occurring, and manages
to fool most of the US population into believing they are better off
than the Europeans and Japanese in quality of life when this is not the
case.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 8th 04, 02:22 AM
Eagle Jackson

The outsourcing of certain high tech jobs, like customer support,
software testing and some software development, shows that some wages
in America are much higher than can be obtained elsewhere for
equivalent work from an educated, skilled, hard-working, and eager
workforce.

Some Americans expect a standard of living higher than their wages or
productivity warrant, while others such as in India or Eastern Europe
are overjoyed to use their education and skills to advance
economically.

A large number of high-tech startups today, even US based ones, have
some portion of their effort come from offshore sources. Not because
it's their preference, but because US labor in some cases has priced
itself out of the market.
Old August 8th 04, 03:41 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Todd Kuzma wrote:

[...]

I've been to Europe (have in-laws in Greece) and have read a fair bit
about Japan.

European visitors are typically amazed at the land-holdings and houses
that normal middle-class people (like my normal, hourly-wage,
non-management parents) on this continent have.

There is much to like about Europe, and I would happily live there (and
intend to at some point). But pretending the US is some sort of hellhole
held together by collective illusions is to miss a pretty key point:
most people in the US like their lives, and would probably point to
things you dislike (expansive suburban housing, roomy cars, big portion
sizes) as what they like. De gustibus et cetera.

Japan...at the recommendation of an acquaintance who spends considerable
time in Tokyo and the US, I read a book called "Dogs and Demons" which
details some of the strange problems Japan has. I don't entirely agree
with the book, which verges from some of the amazing (and
resource-draining) weirdness associated with, oddly enough, Japan's
concrete industry and its public-works bureaucracies, to some rather
petty irritations about minor details of Japanese life and culture (I
don't think Manga are as big a symbol of Japanese infantilization as the
author, for example). Japan is sufficiently prosperous that it doesn't
have to deal with its problems at the moment, but the problems are
sufficiently serious that they're a major drag on the life of the
average Japanese.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old August 8th 04, 03:47 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
(Eagle Jackson) wrote:

The outsourcing of certain high tech jobs, like customer support,
software testing and some software development, shows that some wages
in America are much higher than can be obtained elsewhere for
equivalent work from an educated, skilled, hard-working, and eager
workforce.

Some Americans expect a standard of living higher than their wages or
productivity warrant, while others such as in India or Eastern Europe
are overjoyed to use their education and skills to advance
economically.

A large number of high-tech startups today, even US based ones, have
some portion of their effort come from offshore sources. Not because
it's their preference, but because US labor in some cases has priced
itself out of the market.

First-world labour is in the continuous process of pricing itself out of
the market. Cheaper labour has been available elsewhere pretty much
since the Japanese started their post-war reconstruction ("made in
Japan" used to mean what "made in Taiwan" meant 10 years ago and what
"made in China" means today: cheap, and probably not well-made). Despite
this, American (and Canadian; the economies are relatively similar)
productivity and specialized knowledge is such that there are still a
lot of very high-paying jobs which don't get outsourced.

Ironically, certain services and retail operations look the most
resilient in the face of off-shoring: you can't hire a plumber from
India to come to your house, and it's still easier to buy shoes in
person than to check fit and comfort via UPS and the WWW.

Old August 8th 04, 08:12 AM
Tom Sherman

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

European visitors are typically amazed at the land-holdings and houses
that normal middle-class people (like my normal, hourly-wage,
non-management parents) on this continent have....

The reason that many people in the US have these houses and property is
that they or their parents purchased them in the three decades following
WW2 when real wages were increasing, the tax burden was much more
progressive, and much of the workforce was unionized.

Over the last three decades, the upper classes in the US have through
their funding of right-wing "think tanks", ownership of the media and
copious campaign contributions changed the balance to greatly favor
capital over labor. The result is that US workers spend far more time at
work than they used to (the most of any industrialized nation), while
their real hourly compensation continues to drop. This is concurrent
with the massive growth in income of the top wage earners (corporate
executives) and the increased concentration of wealth to the economic elite.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 8th 04, 02:08 PM
R.White

Todd Kuzma wrote in message ...
gwhite wrote:

[...]

Wal-Mart can offer lower priced goods because they subsidize low
wages with taxpayer money. Wal-Mart claims that 70% of their workforce
is fulltime. Wal-Mart defines fulltime employment as "28 or more hours
per week."
Old August 8th 04, 03:15 PM
Mark Hickey

Tom Sherman wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

European visitors are typically amazed at the land-holdings and houses
that normal middle-class people (like my normal, hourly-wage,
non-management parents) on this continent have....

The reason that many people in the US have these houses and property is
that they or their parents purchased them in the three decades following
WW2 when real wages were increasing, the tax burden was much more
progressive, and much of the workforce was unionized.

Errrr, Tom... the size of the average house has grown dramatically
since the post WWII boom and the 70's (if you don't believe it do some
checking on realtor.com). Look at the size of the bedrooms. Look at
how large the garages were (try to find a new house with a ONE car
garage).

You're probably right about one thing though - many large, luxurious
houses were built by union leadership.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old August 8th 04, 03:47 PM
Tom Sherman

Mark Hickey wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

European visitors are typically amazed at the land-holdings and houses
that normal middle-class people (like my normal, hourly-wage,
non-management parents) on this continent have....

The reason that many people in the US have these houses and property is
that they or their parents purchased them in the three decades following
WW2 when real wages were increasing, the tax burden was much more
progressive, and much of the workforce was unionized.

Errrr, Tom... the size of the average house has grown dramatically
since the post WWII boom and the 70's (if you don't believe it do some
checking on realtor.com). Look at the size of the bedrooms. Look at
how large the garages were (try to find a new house with a ONE car
garage)....

But how many of the purchasers of these new, larger houses had capital
in the form of a smaller, older residence that they could sell to
partially finance the new residence?

If one has no inherited wealth (including financial support from living
relatives) but comes from the lower classes, it will take a long time
for even a person of above average ability and determination to achieve
middle class status, as the barriers are considerable. This is not
something the upper classes want people to understand, as they benefit
from the erroneous belief that all that holds people back is government.
Therefore, they still promote "America as the land of opportunity", even
though that place ceased to exist several decades ago.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area