Taking photos while riding.

Old October 2nd 03, 01:53 PM
Sir Ride-A-Lot

Default Taking photos while riding.

I have an s50 and even in the action mode, there is a significant delay. On
my 10D, I don't have that problem. But, carrying a digital SLR on a bike is
a bit tough.

"Hriv" wrote in message
Small cameras are not all the same. I use a Cannon S30. It's very

responsive
and the delay is less then 1 second. The terrain can be not smooth but it
should not be very bumpy. When it gets to bumpy I drop the camera. Taking
photos in motion allows taking close ups of my buddies while ridding side

by
side with them. The relative speed of me to the photo object is very slow.
This is why the objects are usually not blurry. The background can be

blurry
but at high shutter speeds and good angles of photography the background

is
also sharp.
Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera

correctly
and composing the photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are fun to
take are those catching buddies while ridding next to them. Try it, its

very
rewarding.

"Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com" Sir.Ride-a-LotNOSPAM wrote in

message
We're talking still pictures here, right? Going 10-20 MPH on bumpy

terrain
and taking digital photos with a compact camera? Are your pictures even
clear? Given the 1-2 second shutter delay that the small cameras have

and
shooting with auto speed, you would either miss the picture you are

trying
to take or it would be blurry. Wouldn't it be better to just stop for a

few
seconds, snap the photo, and carry on?

==[Sir]==

Old October 2nd 03, 01:55 PM
Sir Ride-A-Lot

Ooops. Sorry about the top post before. My goof.

Old October 2nd 03, 04:15 PM
Hriv

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" wrote in message

Yes, I have this method for taking pictures from my bike:

I buy 3 feet of #4 anchor chain from my local chandlery. I weld a 5"
x9" 1/4 thick steel plate (saving up for Ti plates) to each end. Then
I take a combination of paper mache, silly putty, and orange peels and
I create a vibration absorbing nest that I put the camera in. The
chain goes around my neck and the nest fits between the plates (which
are held together by four C clamps to keep the camera in place). As
I'm am riding next to my buddies, I take incredibly unbeleivable
pictures. But they are so unbeleivable that I can't show them to you.

Now that we all see your skills and coordination abilities as well as your
genius method of taking photos from your bike- I understand why you panicked
when you read my first post. The motive to your panic and hostile over
reaction is your fear of other people's abilities. Your self-esteem is so
low that you need to undermine other people to feel better. Any new method
of doing something different then you know means a threat to your imaginary
dominance of photography.
It could have been simpler for you to respond like this to my first post:
"Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'm not going to use this
method because I lack the necessary skill but it's an idea."

Old October 2nd 03, 04:27 PM
Sorni

"Hriv" wrote in message

[...]

OMG, you couldn't be funnier if you tried! (In fact, Pete, are you
sockpuppeting yourself just for laughs?!?)

"Panicked"? "Fear of other people's abilities"?? "Self esteem so
low"..."imaginary dominance of photography"?!?

Priceless ****, truly.

Bill "someone's gotta hack this guy's 'puter and produce some pics" S.

Old October 2nd 03, 07:26 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:15:16 +0300, "Hriv"
wrote:

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" wrote in message

Yes, I have this method for taking pictures from my bike:

I buy 3 feet of #4 anchor chain from my local chandlery. I weld a 5"
x9" 1/4 thick steel plate (saving up for Ti plates) to each end. Then
I take a combination of paper mache, silly putty, and orange peels and
I create a vibration absorbing nest that I put the camera in. The
chain goes around my neck and the nest fits between the plates (which
are held together by four C clamps to keep the camera in place). As
I'm am riding next to my buddies, I take incredibly unbeleivable
pictures. But they are so unbeleivable that I can't show them to you.

Now that we all see your skills and coordination abilities as well as your
genius method of taking photos from your bike- I understand why you panicked
when you read my first post.

"Panicked"?

Language lesson time:

"Panicked" does not mean the same thing as "was amused at the silly
claims" in english.

The motive to your panic and hostile over
reaction is your fear of other people's abilities.

So let me get this straight:

I fear some guy who tries to take pictures while riding his bike on
wide trails with a camera hanging by a rubber band. Pictures that are
so incredible that he can't share them.

Surely you can't be that stupid, can you?

Your self-esteem is so
low that you need to undermine other people to feel better. Any new method
of doing something different then you know means a threat to your imaginary
dominance of photography.

Where is this imaginary dominance of photography? I need to find it
since I'm nowhere near being even 10% towards dominating photography.
My goal this year is to reach 3.5%.

Your "new method" is easily replicated by normal photographic
techniques with the bonus being that you can take interesting pictures
of people riding narrow trails.

It could have been simpler for you to respond like this to my first post:
"Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'm not going to use this
method because I lack the necessary skill but it's an idea."

Why would I want to post a lie like that?

pete fagerlin

::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro!
::www.yestubes.com

Old October 2nd 03, 07:35 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:53:17 -0400, "Sir Ride-A-Lot"
wrote:

I have an s50 and even in the action mode, there is a significant delay. On
my 10D, I don't have that problem. But, carrying a digital SLR on a bike is
a bit tough.

Nah, you get used to the weight.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/PeteonMilagrosa(1).jpg

DSLR
28-70 2.8 (not long, but a wide piece of pipe)
16mm fisheye
flash.

+fluids, food and tools.

Old October 3rd 03, 12:54 AM
Pete

"Hriv" wrote

Now that we all see your skills and coordination abilities as well as your
genius method of taking photos from your bike- I understand why you

panicked
when you read my first post. The motive to your panic and hostile over
reaction is your fear of other people's abilities. Your self-esteem is so
low that you need to undermine other people to feel better. Any new method
of doing something different then you know means a threat to your

imaginary
dominance of photography.
It could have been simpler for you to respond like this to my first post:
"Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'm not going to use this
method because I lack the necessary skill but it's an idea."

So let's see some examples of this idea. Maybe it's something we can all
practice and take advantage of.

Pete

Old October 3rd 03, 02:49 AM
Sorni

"Pete" wrote in message

"Hriv" wrote

[...]

It's too unbelievable.

Bill "now THAT I believe" S.

Old October 3rd 03, 02:58 AM
Pete

"Sorni" wrote in message
"Pete" wrote in message

So let's see some examples of this idea. Maybe it's something we can all
practice and take advantage of.

It's too unbelievable.

Until we see some examples, I'd have to agree with you. And maybe after...

Pete