Cycling clubs are they worth joining?

Old December 30th 03, 11:49 AM
spiz

Default Cycling clubs are they worth joining?

I just pruchased a road bike and I am wondering is it worth joining a cycling club given:

1. I am not very fi
2. I am not a good ride

Do cycling clubs cater for riders like me? Also are there any goo
cycling clubs in Melbourne (predferably Bundoora way) anybody ca
recommend

-

Old December 30th 03, 01:50 PM
Andrew Morris

I think a club is good to join if you have motivational issues...

also, doing bunch rides, and the like as well....

Hippy has a website with bunch rides on it... the link was
http://www.openwindows.com.au/hippy/...iningRides.htm but it
doesn't appear to work anymore....

"spiz" wrote in message
r.com...
I just pruchased a road bike and I am wondering is it worth joining a

cycling club given:

1. I am not very fit
2. I am not a good rider

Do cycling clubs cater for riders like me? Also are there any good
cycling clubs in Melbourne (predferably Bundoora way) anybody can
recommend?

Old December 30th 03, 02:53 PM
Spider1977

spiz wrote:
I just pruchased a road bike and I am wondering is it worth joining a
cycling club given:
1. I am not very fit
2. I am not a good rider
Do cycling clubs cater for riders like me? Also are there any good
cycling clubs in Melbourne (predferably Bundoora way) anybody can
recommend?

Only way to get fit is start riding. You may need to do a bit on your
own to get up to a reasonable level so you can go out with the
"clubbies" and not hold them up too much.

If you join a good club most people are pretty welcoming and will give
you plenty of tips. Start doing some races with them - it's a great way
to learn and you can measure your progress.

Everyone started out some time and if you are a masters/vet then there
will be a lot of people at the Club who will be in the same boat as you
or will have been there, so they can let you know how long and how much
work it took to improve.

Most of all have fun. Be prepared to be obsessed about your bike and all
things cycling.

Enjoy the ride - good luck

Old December 30th 03, 02:53 PM
cfsmtb

spiz wrote:
I just pruchased a road bike and I am wondering is it worth joining a
cycling club given:
1. I am not very fit
2. I am not a good rider
Do cycling clubs cater for riders like me? Also are there any good
cycling clubs in Melbourne (predferably Bundoora way) anybody can
recommend?

Well, get in contact with a cycling club & find out for yourself
Probably the closest club to you would be Coburg Cycling Club
http://www.bv.com.au/download/Cycling_clubs_22.12.03.pd

Also, try contacting Bicycle User Groups (BUG's). From the Bicycl
Victoria website, cycling groups & contacts
http://www.bv.com.au/content.cfm?sub...3&contentid=15

Bicycle User Group PDF's- Listing
http://www.bv.com.au/download/BUG_22.12.03.pd

Many BUG's have social rides and are great for someone starting ou
in gaining riding skills, confidence and meeting new people. Hop
that helps, possibly others on this forum will have useful info fo
you as well

-

Old December 30th 03, 11:19 PM
luke1972

spiz wrote:
I just pruchased a road bike and I am wondering is it worth joining a
cycling club given:
1. I am not very fit
2. I am not a good rider
Do cycling clubs cater for riders like me? Also are there any good
cycling clubs in Melbourne (predferably Bundoora way) anybody can
recommend?

There is a bunch ride which leaves from Bundoora Pub on Plenty road a
7.30am every Sunday morning and public holidays. It heads north u
Plenty Road and then up through the hills. The pace is not too hard
This would be a good way of meeting some fellow cyclists many of wh
will be from Coburg Cycling Club www.coburgcycling.co

Until recently there was no real reason to join a racing cycling club i
you did not want to race. The Australian racing body however recentl
introduced a "Ride It" licence which gives you ambulance cover
insurance, and some goodies such as socks, water bottle etc. This may b
an option for you

You could also join a BUG (Bicycle User Group). If you go t
www.coburgcycling.com go to the links page and there is a list of club
you could join

You would be better off joining a small club where you are not jus
another name on a database

:-) Luk

-

Old January 1st 04, 09:28 AM
Marty

luke1972 wrote in message ...
spiz wrote:
I just pruchased a road bike and I am wondering is it worth joining a
cycling club given:
1. I am not very fit
2. I am not a good rider
Do cycling clubs cater for riders like me? Also are there any good
cycling clubs in Melbourne (predferably Bundoora way) anybody can
recommend?

There is a bunch ride which leaves from Bundoora Pub on Plenty road at
7.30am every Sunday morning and public holidays. It heads north up
Plenty Road and then up through the hills. The pace is not too hard.
This would be a good way of meeting some fellow cyclists many of who
will be from Coburg Cycling Club www.coburgcycling.com

Until recently there was no real reason to join a racing cycling club if
you did not want to race. The Australian racing body however recently
introduced a "Ride It" licence which gives you ambulance cover,
insurance, and some goodies such as socks, water bottle etc. This may be
an option for you.

You could also join a BUG (Bicycle User Group). If you go to
www.coburgcycling.com go to the links page and there is a list of clubs
you could join.

You would be better off joining a small club where you are not just
another name on a database.

:-) Luke

A good reason to join a club is that you get insurance when
"training"( but not if you're a mountain bike rider).

Marty
Old January 2nd 04, 10:17 AM
hippy

"Andrew Morris" wrote in message
I think a club is good to join if you have motivational issues...
also, doing bunch rides, and the like as well....

Hippy has a website with bunch rides on it... the link was
http://www.openwindows.com.au/hippy/...iningRides.htm but it
doesn't appear to work anymore....

It's an .asp file now:

Go to http://www.thehippy.net and click "Training Rides"

hth
hippy

Old January 2nd 04, 02:52 PM
spiz

Chris Baird wrote:
Remember, the obvious fitness benefit aside, cycling is supposed to be
about fun. That's the greatest keep doing it motivator of all. If
you're not enjoying it, what's the point?

Just avoid certain clubs that treat the group like a meat-market..
--
Chris

Chris and everyone thanks for the information.... Can you nam
the clubs

-

Old January 2nd 04, 10:17 PM
hippy

"spiz" wrote in message
Chris and everyone thanks for the information.... Can you name
the clubs?

Okay, I've created another little page. This one will list
cycling clubs I know about and some of their details.

Visit: http://www.thehippy.net and click "Cycling Clubs".

If anyone has more clubs they wish to see added, post
their details to this thread.

cheers
hippy

Old January 12th 04, 09:31 AM
hippy

"luke1972" wrote in message
There is a bunch ride which leaves from Bundoora Pub on Plenty road at
7.30am every Sunday morning and public holidays. It heads north up
Plenty Road and then up through the hills. The pace is not too hard.
This would be a good way of meeting some fellow cyclists many of who
will be from Coburg Cycling Club www.coburgcycling.com

Both the club and the training ride have been added to:
www.thehippy.net
Let me know if this is no good and I will remove them.

hippy