Garmin Edge 305, anyone use it?

Old April 16th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason Spaceman

Default Garmin Edge 305, anyone use it?

I noticed that one of the Paris-Roubaix riders used a Garmin Edge 305
GPS/cyclocomputer yesterday (see http://tinyurl.com/2hyjfm).

Has anyone tried these? How do they calculate altitude data? Using
GPS, or using some sort of barometric sensor to measure changes in air
pressure? And which would be the more accurate of the two?

Also, does the Edge 305 record your route and let you download it
afterwards and plot it with Google Earth?

J. Spaceman
Old April 16th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jason Spaceman:
Also, does the Edge 305 record your route and let you download it
afterwards and plot it with Google Earth?

I've got the 301 and it definitely does that.

GoogleEarth|Tools|GPS, but you have tb a subscriber to "GoogleEarth Plus". The
freebie version doesn't support it.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 16th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
orange-kick

Jason Spaceman wrote:

Also, does the Edge 305 record your route and let you download it
afterwards and plot it with Google Earth?

J. Spaceman

yes, it definetly does -- here's the link to a site that plots your
routes on Google Maps.

http://www.motionbased.com/

fwiw, if I were to buy a new GPS set-up I'd probably look into the
wearable Garmin Forerunner 305 -- then you can use it not just on one or
two bikes-- but you'll also be able to use it for running or any type of
activity away from the bike.

Old April 16th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 16, 12:42 pm, Jason Spaceman
wrote:
I noticed that one of the Paris-Roubaix riders used a Garmin Edge 305
GPS/cyclocomputer yesterday (seehttp://tinyurl.com/2hyjfm).

Has anyone tried these? How do they calculate altitude data? Using
GPS, or using some sort of barometric sensor to measure changes in air
pressure? And which would be the more accurate of the two?

Also, does the Edge 305 record your route and let you download it
afterwards and plot it with Google Earth?

J. Spaceman

A freind of mine has one. It uses both to determine altitude, but he
complains it does not have a manual calibration feature. Like he knows
how high his house is, but it always tries to do it itself, and since
his rides start out with some immediate up and downs, and weather
shifts, it takes a while to for the altitude measurement to settle
down and sometimes is off a bit.

Joseph

Old April 16th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Yes that's very annoying. You have to wait for about 1 minute before it
displays the correct altitude.

Lou

As I understand it, because of the peculiarities of where he lives, it
takes much longer than 1 minute. If it wasn't so "user-friendly" and
had some advanced settings options he could set it as he wishes.

Joseph

Old April 16th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

wrote:
[...]

Depends on how you define "correct". I've recorded the elevation for
an hour with the unit lying in my backyard. The result was, more or
less, a periodic sawtooth. The amplitude was around 10-20 meters,
which, I suspect, accounts for its optimism on accumulated climbing.
I assume this is due to the motion of the GPS satellites.

--
Joe Riel
Old April 16th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:34:15 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

Depends on how you define "correct". I've recorded the elevation for
an hour with the unit lying in my backyard. The result was, more or
less, a periodic sawtooth. The amplitude was around 10-20 meters,
which, I suspect, accounts for its optimism on accumulated climbing.
I assume this is due to the motion of the GPS satellites.

What was the period of the oscillation?

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old April 16th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Kinky Cowboy writes:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:34:15 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

Depends on how you define "correct". I've recorded the elevation for
an hour with the unit lying in my backyard. The result was, more or
less, a periodic sawtooth. The amplitude was around 10-20 meters,
which, I suspect, accounts for its optimism on accumulated climbing.
I assume this is due to the motion of the GPS satellites.

What was the period of the oscillation?

I looked again at the data. I really need to take more data to get a
better handle on this, the actual data is not really periodic (my
memory was wrong). The elevation started at 145 meters, increased
linearly to 163 meters in 20 minutes, then dropped quickly to about
148 m and stayed there for 10 minutes, then increased linearly to 168
m in 10 minutes, then dropped linearly to 148 m in about 5 minutes.
There are also a few spikes.

I have the 302, my wife has the 305, which includes a barometic
pressure sensor; I have a plan to compare the two, but haven't got
around to it.

--
Joe Riel