Saddle recommendations

Old June 19th 04, 11:30 PM
Dominic Sansom

Default Saddle recommendations

You could try a custom made (choose your own colour combinations) saddle from http://www.fizik.it/Shop_Customize.aspxFi'zi:k

Prices are in Euro and include shipping. I ordered mine and it arrived 2
weeks, to the day, later.

Old June 20th 04, 12:02 AM
NickZX6R

Peter S wrote:
I'm looking for a new saddle for my road bike. I realise the only real test
is to sit and try but I'm interested in feedback from any of you who have a
gel saddle. I like the look of the higher spec Selle Italia gel saddles like
the Octavia and Turbomatic Quattro. Anyone have any good / bad things to say
about these or other gel saddles. I'm using an entry level Selle Italia XO
which is not too comfy for me. I currently only ride for fitness but my
ideal saddle would let me do a 50km ride without wanting to stop for a break
because the saddle is killing me!

Pete
skypete_at_bigpond_dot_com

I've just got a Fizik Arione (Google for all the hype about Ariones) and
so far it's been very good. The choice for me was between the Arione and
a Selle Italia SLR? TransAm? - they make so many saddles that look
really similar it's difficult to tell which one is which.

The Selle Italia was about $160 and I got the Arione for about $150.

Saddles are difficult - despite what advice you get, you'll still have
to choose one, sit your arse on it and then hope for the best.

Good luck.

--
Nick

Old June 20th 04, 11:45 AM
ProfTournesol

Peter S wrote:
I'm looking for a new saddle for my road bike. I realise the only real
test is to sit and try but I'm interested in feedback from any of you
who have a gel saddle. I like the look of the higher spec Selle Italia
gel saddles like the Octavia and Turbomatic Quattro. Anyone have any
good / bad things to say about these or other gel saddles. I'm using an
entry level Selle Italia XO which is not too comfy for me. I currently
only ride for fitness but my ideal saddle would let me do a 50km ride
without wanting to stop for a break because the saddle is killing me!
Pete skypete_at_bigpond_dot_com

It's not just the saddle, you have to have it positioned properly, both
in terms of height, setback and handlebar height. Without getting this
right, the best saddle will still be uncomfortable.

Old June 20th 04, 03:09 PM
Peter S

You could try a custom made (choose your own colour combinations) saddle
from http://www.fizik.it/Shop_Customize.aspxFi'zi:k
Prices are in Euro and include shipping. I ordered mine and it arrived 2
weeks, to the day, later.

Dominic which saddle in the range did you choose - have you had time to
evaluate it?

Old June 21st 04, 03:37 AM
Tony

"ProfTournesol" wrote in message
.. .
Peter S wrote:
I'm looking for a new saddle for my road bike. I realise the only real
test is to sit and try but I'm interested in feedback from any of you
who have a gel saddle. I like the look of the higher spec Selle Italia
gel saddles like the Octavia and Turbomatic Quattro. Anyone have any
good / bad things to say about these or other gel saddles. I'm using

an
entry level Selle Italia XO which is not too comfy for me. I currently
only ride for fitness but my ideal saddle would let me do a 50km ride
without wanting to stop for a break because the saddle is killing me!
Pete skypete_at_bigpond_dot_com

It's not just the saddle, you have to have it positioned properly, both
in terms of height, setback and handlebar height. Without getting this
right, the best saddle will still be uncomfortable.

--

Without a doubt the most comfortable saddle on the market is the Selle San
Marco Rolls.

Old June 21st 04, 04:03 AM
Halbstaker

Tony wrote:
Without a doubt the most comfortable saddle on the market is the Selle San
Marco Rolls.
Yeah a little heavier than some, you won't get a sore ass after 100 miles
on one of these.

Brooks B17 owners would probably disagree with you here

Old June 21st 04, 07:30 AM
hippy

Halbstaker wrote:
Tony wrote:
Without a doubt the most comfortable saddle on the market is the Selle
San Marco Rolls. Yeah a little heavier than some, you won't get a sore
ass after 100 miles on one of these.

Brooks B17 owners would probably disagree with you here

Is that before or after the 12 months wearing one in?

I had a Brooks on my track bike for a single ride and found it to be the
most painful saddle I own.. it's for sale if you want it

hippy

Old June 21st 04, 08:00 AM
flyingdutch

hippy wrote:
Is that before or after the 12 months wearing one in?
I had a Brooks on my track bike for a single ride and found it to be the
most painful saddle I own.. it's for sale if you want it
hippy

Aah, yes. they work on the theory that the saddle 'moulds' to you.

ie you must 'shape' it to your nether-regions

Old June 21st 04, 08:15 AM
aeek

I've just ordered an Arione, currently using a MTB saddle and I slide
back onto my thighs; tall, figure I need the length.

so now I have two pieces of my 2B MTB, the first being a MTB barend
mirror (wanted to swap the glass).

Saddle review martin Techniques 6 May 8th 04 02:52 AM
Frame Fit: Sit-Bones, KOPS, Saddle Setback, Stem Length (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 7 April 21st 04 10:41 PM
Possible Saddle Adjustment Needed? Tom Young Techniques 2 April 8th 04 05:41 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM