Am I crazy??

Old July 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
leela

Default Am I crazy??

I'm an average commuter cyclist (normally between 30 - 45km a day) and
my hubby has just signed me up for a childrens cancer fund charity ride.
It's 3 days - about 300km. And I have about a month to be prepared. Is
this possible?? How many hours per day should I cycle to prepare for
this - or is it totally impossible?? Help!

- scared rider

Old July 2nd 04, 02:30 AM
flyingdutch

leela wrote:
I'm an average commuter cyclist (normally between 30 - 45km a day) and
my hubby has just signed me up for a childrens cancer fund charity ride.
It's 3 days - about 300km. And I have about a month to be prepared. Is
this possible?? How many hours per day should I cycle to prepare for
this - or is it totally impossible?? Help!
- scared rider

Doesnt sound beyond you by any means. As hippy says, build up slowly

get into the habit of eating and drinking regularly during your riding,
and on the day dont get sucked in by those around you. ride your own
pace. Aim to go easy the first day and guage from there

Enjoy

PS is said husband doing this too. or is he just good for
volunteering you?

Old July 2nd 04, 02:30 AM
mfhor

leela wrote:
I'm an average commuter cyclist (normally between 30 - 45km a day) and
my hubby has just signed me up for a childrens cancer fund charity ride.
It's 3 days - about 300km. And I have about a month to be prepared. Is
this possible?? How many hours per day should I cycle to prepare for
this - or is it totally impossible?? Help!
- scared rider

You're OK - do you do the commute regularly? If so, do it as many days
as you can.

That's only 100 k's a day - isn't it? Just go out and do a 70 - 100 k
ride (in one day) each weekend before the off. You might be a bit achy
on the first evening, but a good massage, bath and sleep will put that
right. It'll be a good sort of ache, with plenty of endorphins mixed in.

Make sure your seat is the right height, your h/bars are close enough,
and you drink and eat little bits during the day.

Good on you, keep at it.

M "over 70ks is a whole new ball game" H

Old July 2nd 04, 02:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by leela I'm an average commuter cyclist (normally
between 30 - 45km

It's 3 days - about 300km.

Sounds quite possible. You should start extending your commutes to cover
longer distances and on weekends try to do an extra long ride (or two).
Try to build it up gradually, so you can do 100k's in a single ride. If
it's touring pace, it wont be super fast and you should have plenty of
time to rest and eating, etc.

GO FOR IT!

Old July 2nd 04, 03:01 AM
leela

flyingdutch wrote:
Doesnt sound beyond you by any means. As hippy says, build up slowly
get into the habit of eating and drinking regularly during your riding,
and on the day dont get sucked in by those around you. ride your own
pace. Aim to go easy the first day and guage from there
Enjoy
PS is said husband doing this too. or is he just good for
volunteering you?

Thanks guys, I"m feeling a lot better now

Nope, hubby's not doing it. I made the mistake of suggesting it'd be
nice if he became a little interested in cycling, and THIS is how he
repays me

Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to it - I've never had the excuse
to spend as many hours on my bike as I can (uni, work, kids) It'll be
some nice 'me' time!

Old July 2nd 04, 03:10 AM
Brian Watson

"leela" wrote in message
.. .
I'm an average commuter cyclist (normally between 30 - 45km a day) and
my hubby has just signed me up for a childrens cancer fund charity ride.
It's 3 days - about 300km. And I have about a month to be prepared. Is
this possible?? How many hours per day should I cycle to prepare for
this - or is it totally impossible?? Help!

I agree with everyone else. I ride as "recreation" only - ~15km between 2
and 4 times a week. Last year I got signed up to the 88km Sydney - 'Gong.
ride. My only training was to keep up the "recreational" rides and one
~35km ride the weekend before. The advice I got was keep the pace down and
keep the food and drink going - I followed the advice and it worked out just
fine. Did the 88km in about 4.5hr. If you are doing 30 - 45 km nearly
every day you should have no probs!

Good luck,

Brian

Old July 2nd 04, 07:11 AM
Alan Erskine

"leela" wrote in message
.. .
I'm an average commuter cyclist (normally between 30 - 45km a day) and
my hubby has just signed me up for a childrens cancer fund charity ride.
It's 3 days - about 300km. And I have about a month to be prepared. Is
this possible?? How many hours per day should I cycle to prepare for
this - or is it totally impossible?? Help!

- scared rider

Don't tell me: Hubby's been seeing more and more of his secretary, working
back *L.A.T.E.*...?
Secretary just happens to be absolutely georgeous, with the best bod in
town? ;-)

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old July 2nd 04, 07:35 AM
Jack Russell

I'm an average commuter cyclist (normally between 30 - 45km a day) and
my hubby has just signed me up for a childrens cancer fund charity ride.
It's 3 days - about 300km. And I have about a month to be prepared. Is
this possible?? How many hours per day should I cycle to prepare for
this - or is it totally impossible?? Help!

- scared rider

It should not be a problem if you already do 40k a day. Try to put in a
few longer rides if you can and on the day take it easy. When touring I
plan to average 15kph, including stops, I still get in before an awful
lot of people. I rarely ride more than 40k on a normal day yet find I
can take 80k easily in my stride and am not too fussed by 100k.
Make sure you keep up ypur fluid and solid intake on the long rides, do
not be ashamed to walk on steep hills or to stop for a rest. Life is a
journey not a destination!
And if it is any consolation I am a a fat 60 year old

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell