MTB evolution

Old December 23rd 03, 11:16 AM
DD5

Default MTB evolution

I'm just getting back into cycling after several years without turning a
pedal. I'd just like to know whether mountain bikes have improved much since
the mid-90s.

My perception is that mountain bikes improved vastly from between the late
80s and the mid-90s (weight & strength of components, gear performance,
suspension). Have they carried on improving at the same rate?

I'm not planning to change my bike (1994) - it's perfect for me, but I'm
curious about how things have changed.

Old December 23rd 03, 11:41 AM
Tony Raven

DD5 wrote:

I'm not planning to change my bike (1994) - it's perfect for me, but I'm
curious about how things have changed.

Not much that would warrant a change. Suspension is probably the main change
and has come on a long way since 1994.. As for the rest of the stuff, there
has been some changes but nothing really significant. Headset sizes have
changed, quill stems have moved to Aheadset, gears have increased in numbers
and brakes have switched to v-brakes and discs. However the1994 versions work
as well or almost as well when properly set up.

Tony

Old December 23rd 03, 12:00 PM
Peter Clinch

DD5 wrote:

My perception is that mountain bikes improved vastly from between the late
80s and the mid-90s (weight & strength of components, gear performance,
suspension). Have they carried on improving at the same rate?

Even as a non-MTB-er, it's quite clear that things are still improving
at a good rate. When I got my MTB in '97 decent front suspension still
cost Real Money, where now you can get something reasonable without
paying a fortune. Similarly, worthwhile full sus has come down in
price, got lighter and also got better AFAICT. Disc brakes are now
commonplace on higher end kit and make an appreciable difference to
stopping power if you're coated in gunk.
It appears to be the case that you can now get a better bike for the
same (or possibly less) money.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old December 23rd 03, 12:35 PM
Simon Brooke

"DD5" writes:

I'm just getting back into cycling after several years without turning a
pedal. I'd just like to know whether mountain bikes have improved much since
the mid-90s.

My perception is that mountain bikes improved vastly from between the late
80s and the mid-90s (weight & strength of components, gear performance,
suspension). Have they carried on improving at the same rate?

I'm not planning to change my bike (1994) - it's perfect for me, but I'm
curious about how things have changed.

Yes, I think they have. More incremental, less dramatic, but still
very rapid. I have to admit I've switched from a 1989 rigid to a 2003
full suspension in one go, which is a bit extreme...

The modern bikes are much lighter, and they're still very strong. Disk
brakes, which I thought were a fad, are actually really good. Modern
air shocks are really good, and developments like platform shocks may
turn out to be very good.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --
Old December 23rd 03, 06:59 PM
Zog The Undeniable

DD5 wrote:

I'm just getting back into cycling after several years without turning a
pedal. I'd just like to know whether mountain bikes have improved much since
the mid-90s.

My perception is that mountain bikes improved vastly from between the late
80s and the mid-90s (weight & strength of components, gear performance,
suspension). Have they carried on improving at the same rate?

I'm not planning to change my bike (1994) - it's perfect for me, but I'm
curious about how things have changed.

Death of 1 1/4" headsets, death of really light bikes (everything has at
least front suspension) and death of cantilever brakes.

Old December 23rd 03, 11:36 PM
David Wood

I have a 1994 Kastle which was £500 then reduced from £700. You get a lot
more for your money now!
Having said that the frame was aluminium 7020 so worth upgrading, I've:-

-converted 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" headset (old size obsolete)
-converted to Aheadset steerer (to get newer forks to fit)
-put decent forks (old ones had about 1" spring)
-converted to V brakes (much sharper than the cantilevers)

Aheadset and VBrakes are great improvements of design and so simple (why
didn't I think of it first?)

Old December 24th 03, 10:35 AM
Simon Brooke

"David Wood" writes:

I have a 1994 Kastle which was £500 then reduced from £700. You get a lot
more for your money now!
Having said that the frame was aluminium 7020 so worth upgrading, I've:-

-converted 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" headset (old size obsolete)
-converted to Aheadset steerer (to get newer forks to fit)
-put decent forks (old ones had about 1" spring)
-converted to V brakes (much sharper than the cantilevers)

Aheadset and VBrakes are great improvements of design and so simple (why
didn't I think of it first?)

Aheadset, yes, ish (not nearly as easy to adjust for height as a quill
stem) but (apart from on full suspension bikes) why V brakes? They've
got no more leverage than cantis, and don't work any better.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --
Old December 25th 03, 08:58 AM
Peter B

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
. uk...
"David Wood" writes:
Aheadset and VBrakes are great improvements of design and so simple (why
didn't I think of it first?)

Aheadset, yes, ish (not nearly as easy to adjust for height as a quill
stem) but (apart from on full suspension bikes) why V brakes? They've
got no more leverage than cantis, and don't work any better.

I find Vees more easy to set up to get a good result. They may not offer
more leverage but they have a more direct feel as the sponginess of the
straddle cable is gone.

BTW, I have a 1992 Trek 8000, now fully rigid (did have Pace RC35s), with
cantis that work just fine and it's very light, as well as a more modern
full susser.

Pete

Old December 25th 03, 09:02 AM
Peter B

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
Death of 1 1/4" headsets, death of really light bikes (everything has at
least front suspension) and death of cantilever brakes.

1 1/4" are back again.

Pete