Bicycles in LA

Old November 20th 17, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bicycles in LA

http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/...118-story.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 20th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bunkers... everything KTLA and more ...nice weather

we reflected to Trump's knee jerk into the Wall from the Border Patrol fight ...

WTH do we do with the retarded psycho- social pop ?

camping at Organ Pipe on the MX/AZ border n driving north up the one road access near dawn we always pass well turned out pickups loaded to 10' n over cab with furniture and woven draping hairdos of not bad looking at distance bicycles ahgoin south zoooom.

Very pro looking.

Old November 20th 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/20/2017 8:44 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/...118-story.html

Yesterday I talked to a friend who had just returned from a vacation in
Scotland, with an added day or two in London. He loved Scotland (where
he once lived) but didn't like London. "Too dirty, too crowded, and
homeless people everywhere."

So I wondered about England's homeless population compared to the U.S.,
and found this claiming they are roughly the same, percentage-wise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ess_population

(The UK as a whole is much higher.)

But the differences by nation are extreme, even among relatively wealthy
countries. What makes the difference? (And why, for example, is New
Zealand's so high?)

Seems to me that for the past couple hundred years, engineers have done
whatever was reasonably asked. Too bad economists and sociologists
haven't kept up.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 20th 17, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/20/2017 1:16 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, engineers are experts at efficiency and conservation of
limited resources, but their solutions are not normally
subject to plebiscite by the unwashed masses.

Old November 21st 17, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 12:16:23 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

traces of youth in asia...

I wudda thought pure homelessness as compared to 'bicycle touring' was parallel
with temperature range n rain not so need water n trees 'troughs n feeders ...

per capita...per capita por favor then regress

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8ce722a63637
Old November 21st 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 14:16:17 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I wonder how accurate some of the homeless numbers are. See
https://homelessworldcup.org/homeles...atistics/#asia
note that in every case some of the numbers are "estimated".

Another point is, at least in India, there are whole settlements that
live on the streets. From what I read, and was told when I was in
India, these are largely people that moved into cities from the
country in order to get better paying jobs, or perhaps more
accurately, jobs that paid some money. One might almost say, "homeless
by preference".

Thailand, for example, has in excess of 100% employment - based on
the number of workers as a percentage of citizens - and yet has some
"homeless", or at least people that appear to be without a "home". But
in the cases that I see these people aren't exactly destitute but are
actually self employed, usually in gleaning trash receptacles and
collecting scrap metal and plastics - there is a very active plastics
and metal reclamation industry in Thailand.

I'm guessing here, but given that there are more jobs in Thailand then
there are citizens, that the "homeless" are homeless for some reason
other then simply a lack of jobs.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 21st 17, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?client...cuC6QQvwUIIigA