63 year old, 160 bpm, 100 miles, 2x/week ?!?

Old September 24th 04, 12:59 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:22:04 -0400, ,
"Roger Zoul" wrote:

|||| Just ride, Grasshopper.
||| Good plan. http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/ghp/index_e.html
|| Mo' better plan. http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/

y'all trying to tell me something?

Have fun.
--
zk
Old September 24th 04, 01:54 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:49:02 GMT,
. net,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle."

The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am
your disciple."

It's like two empty boats becoming a catamaran.

That story always chokes me up.
Thanks.
--
zk
Old September 24th 04, 02:31 AM
Badger_South

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:20:35 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:
|| Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:17:21 -0400,
|| , "Roger Zoul"
|| wrote:
||| Hmm...I've not done 100 miles (least not 2x per week), so I don't
||| know what precentage of max HR would be impressive. I guess even
||| if I had done 100 miles, I might not know. Enlighten me, please.
|| Just ride, Grasshopper.

You're no fun, master!

The Zen Bicycling Koan:

Grasshopper: "Master if I ride more will I get there faster?"
Master: "Grasshopper, if you ride more, you'll always be there faster, but
do not seek to arrive."

-B

Old September 24th 04, 12:27 PM
cal

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:49:02 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:17:21 -0400, ,
"Roger Zoul" wrote:

Hmm...I've not done 100 miles (least not 2x per week), so I don't know

what
precentage of max HR would be impressive. I guess even if I had done 100
miles, I might not know. Enlighten me, please.

Just ride, Grasshopper.

There's the famous story:

A Buddhist teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding
their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students,

"Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I
am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!"

The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow
old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as
I roll down the path."

The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the
world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant,
nam myoho renge kyo."

The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the
ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all
beings."

The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of
non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle."

The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am
your disciple."

Thank you, Claire. We needed that.

Cal

Old September 27th 04, 06:18 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Claire Petersky wrote:
The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle."

The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am
your disciple."

I am the Fifth Student.

--Blair
"Just a little moreso."
Old September 28th 04, 12:11 PM
Badger_South

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 05:18:25 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Claire Petersky wrote:
The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle."

The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am
your disciple."

I am the Fifth Student.

--Blair
"Just a little moreso."

Ah. You and the Ox are one.

-B
Sometimes I feel like the Ox is riding me... ;-)
Old September 28th 04, 06:19 PM
David Horwitt

Claire Petersky wrote:
There's the famous story:

A Buddhist teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding
their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students,

"Why are you riding your bicycles?"

That reminds me of this story; it may or may not be true.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni is lounging on the patio of Starbucks when five members
of Vancouvers most elite cycling club arrive. He grunts, 'Whats up, eh?'

The first cyclist says that he finished his hard 160 km training ride in 4:10,
his best time ever. Fabs sneered that he had done that ride in 3:37, and the
last 50 clicks he had a flat.

The second cyclist said that he just purchased a new bike, the same one that
Equipe Cucharacha-Corleone was riding this year in the Giro. Fabs waved him
off, saying that the team was worthless since their team physician was
arrested for urine doping.

The third cyclist said that he was out teaching and riding with some local
underpriveleged kids. Fabs spit out his coffee in surprise and disgust that
someone could blow off training and waste a riding day. 'Whats next, cutoffs
and sneakers !?!', he yelled, and banished this rider from his sight.

The fourth cyclist said something, but Fabs ignored him since the loser was
wearing socks that didn't match the rest of his kit.

The fifth cyclist said he wasn't riding today, just out to look good and catch
some babe eyeballs. This was the rider that Fabs invited to his table, but
only if he sat a bit behind him so as to not block the view of the passers-by
towards the Fab one.