Ping Roger Zoul--Ride for the Raptors

Old October 4th 04, 03:26 PM
Roger Zoul

the black rose wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: pam_in_sc wrote:
::::: I hit a maximum heart rate of 195, sustained above 190
::::: for
::::: the steepest part of the hill. Does that mean I have the heart
::::: of a 25
::::: year old? Considering that I am 49 years old, have a BMI of 27,
::::: and have only been back to bicycling 4 months, I was very happy.
:::
::: Wow. You have a really high HR. I've never seem mine above 176
::: and i'm 46. I don't have a clue what the numbers mean but
::: supposedly if sustaining those high percentages doesn't kill you,
::: you get better.
::
:: Pam and I should probably found the Hummingbird Heart Club. *grin*
:: I'm another 40-something with a max heart rate in the mid-190's.
::
:: As far as I know, it's just normal human variation. It doesn't do us
:: any more harm to fly along at 195 than it does you to fly along at
:: 176.
::
:: I *wish* I could keep my heart rate down to 176 on hills..... *grin*

I used to max out completely on long hills. I have recently learned to
control it much better, though, keeping it in the low 90s rather than
maxing. I'm afraid I might fall over if I let it get down in the 80%s.

Old October 4th 04, 10:28 PM
the black rose

Roger Zoul wrote:
the black rose wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: pam_in_sc wrote:
[...]

Uhh. Your heart rate is in the low *90's* on hills?

Wow, you ride slow.

*ducks and runs*

-km
Old October 4th 04, 10:57 PM
Roger Zoul

the black rose wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| I used to max out completely on long hills. I have recently
||| learned to control it much better, though, keeping it in the low
||| 90s rather than maxing. I'm afraid I might fall over if I let it
||| get down in the 80%s.
|| Uhh. Your heart rate is in the low *90's* on hills?
|| Wow, you ride slow.

That's low 90%s. So that's like 158 to 166 or so.

Still, I do ride slow uphill.

Old October 5th 04, 03:12 AM
pam_in_sc

the black rose wrote:

Pam and I should probably found the Hummingbird Heart Club. *grin* I'm
another 40-something with a max heart rate in the mid-190's.

As far as I know, it's just normal human variation. It doesn't do us
any more harm to fly along at 195 than it does you to fly along at 176.

I *wish* I could keep my heart rate down to 176 on hills..... *grin*

I like the idea of the hummingbird heart club. Thank you. My
assumption is that if I don't feel like I'm going to fall over I'm not
doing myself any harm. It will be interesting to see if my doctor knows
enough to say anything intelligent about it next time I go in.

Pam

Old October 6th 04, 12:55 AM
pam_in_sc

Roger Zoul wrote:

Let me know when your next organized ride will be, so we can try to meet
again. I'm planning on that flat century in Charleston on December 4. I've
already reserved a hotel room (i'm not into the camping thing). I'm also
considering the Cruisin' in the Country Bike Ride in Claxton, Georgia. I
won't have much time to do a century between now and end of October.

I really want to do either the Charleston one or the Claxton one, but I
don't know which yet. I've been bitten by the bug and want to do the
100 miles. My husband and kids may be interested in going to one or the
other and doing the short ride.

Pam

Old October 6th 04, 03:20 AM
Roger Zoul

pam_in_sc wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| Let me know when your next organized ride will be, so we can try to
||| meet again. I'm planning on that flat century in Charleston on
||| December 4. I've already reserved a hotel room (i'm not into the
||| camping thing). I'm also considering the Cruisin' in the Country
||| Bike Ride in Claxton, Georgia. I won't have much time to do a
||| century between now and end of October.
|| I really want to do either the Charleston one or the Claxton one,
|| but I don't know which yet. I've been bitten by the bug and want to
|| do the 100 miles. My husband and kids may be interested in going to
|| one or the other and doing the short ride.

Great. Please let me know which you one decide to do. I'm going to try to
find out the amount of climbing at the Claxton century. I'm toying with the
idea of attempting both of them.