Bike shop reccomendation for Raleigh/Durham area?

Old June 30th 05, 05:22 AM
Raleigh rider in CH

Default Bike shop reccomendation for Raleigh/Durham area?

Hello, all,

Hope this is okay to post here - I'm new to the Chapel Hill area and
would like to know if anyone's found a really good bicycle shop in Durham
or Raleigh. (Raleigh would be more fitting given my bike's make :-)

I've got an older Raleigh ten-speed that fits me perfectly and is very
nimble and fast when set up right. Unfortunately, I've not had good luck
with the two local bike shops, and would really appreciate folks letting
me know if they have a favorite in Raleigh or Durham, especially a shop
that likes older bikes (and riders!)

Thanks a lot -

Kathleen

Old June 30th 05, 04:21 PM
Alan Hoyle

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:22:22 -0400, Raleigh rider in CH wrote:
Hello, all,

Hope this is okay to post here - I'm new to the Chapel Hill area and
would like to know if anyone's found a really good bicycle shop in Durham
or Raleigh. (Raleigh would be more fitting given my bike's make :-)

I've got an older Raleigh ten-speed that fits me perfectly and is very
nimble and fast when set up right. Unfortunately, I've not had good luck
with the two local bike shops, and would really appreciate folks letting
me know if they have a favorite in Raleigh or Durham, especially a shop
that likes older bikes (and riders!)

Thanks a lot -

Franklin Street Cycles, Clean Machine, Durham Cycle Center, and one of
the Raleigh stores (can't remember which one) are all owned by the
same local owner. I, personally, have had relatively good luck with
work done by FCS and the Clean Machine and I've bought a couple of
bikes from the former over the years. Performance in Carrboro is also
technically locally owned, as their corporate headquarters is in
Chapel Hill. I haven't had them do any work for me, but their parts
and accessory selection is the best. Also, I've got a friend in
Carrboro who used to work at one of the local shops and still does
freelance work on the side (he tends to be cheaper than any of the
local shops too). Email me if you want his contact information.

You may be interested in looking at http://www.tarwheels.org/ as well.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Old June 30th 05, 09:46 PM
Veloise

Alan wrote:
Franklin Street Cycles, Clean Machine, Durham Cycle Center, and one of
the Raleigh stores (can't remember which one) are all owned by the
same local owner...

If you encounter a guy named Anderson who wants to talk your ear off
while he extracts everything in your wallet, r-u-n.

--Karen M.
there's a reason I know this