How can I blacken stainless steel spokes?

Old May 12th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johan Bornman

Default How can I blacken stainless steel spokes?

Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations. How do they blacken spokes
and can this be done in a workshop as and when needed?

Old May 12th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Johan Bornman wrote:
Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations.

Get a tool to cut&roll your own?

How do they blacken spokes and can this be done in a workshop as
and when needed?

Not in any durable way that would compare to the manufacturer.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old May 12th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

black anodized steel is a common thing, all you have to do is find out how
it is done and do it on a small scale for spokes.
hope this helps
greg

Old May 12th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Johan Bornman wrote:
Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations. How do they blacken spokes
and can this be done in a workshop as and when needed?

Can't you just heat them up and dunk them in motor oil. I seem to
recall that from boyhood buggerings about.
Old May 13th 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Johan Bornman wrote:

Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations. How do they blacken
spokes and can this be done in a workshop as and when needed?

A Sharpie? Krylon spray paint? Electrical tape?
Old May 13th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Johan Bornman wrote:
Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations. How do they blacken spokes
and can this be done in a workshop as and when needed?

Use heat shrinkable tubing.
Old May 13th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On May 12, 3:18*pm, Johan Bornman wrote:
Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations. How do they blacken spokes
and can this be done in a workshop as and when needed?

Prudhomme's Barbecue Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Barbecue Sauces

***SEASONING MIX ***
1 t Onion powder
1 t Salt
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1/2 lb Bacon -- minced
2 c Pork, beef or chicken stock
1 c Honey
5 tb Orange juice and pulp
1 t Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp White pepper
1 t Garlic powder
***MAIN INGREDIENTS***
1 1/2 c Onions -- chopped
1 1/2 c Chili sauce
3/4 c Dry roasted pecans -- chopped
1/2 Orange
2 tb Garlic -- minced
4 tb Butter
one pint latex paint

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

In a 2 quart saucepan, fry the bacon over high heat until crisp.

Stir in the onions, cover pan, and continue cooking until onions are
dark brown but not burned, about 8 to 10 min., stirring occasionally.

Stir in the seasoning mix and cook about 1 min.

Add the stock, chili sauce, honey, pecans, orange juice, lemon juice,
orange and lemon rinds and pulp, garlic and tabasco, stirring well.

Reduce heat to low continue cooking about 10 min. stirring
frequently.

Remove orange and lemon rinds.

Continue cooking and stirring about 15 more min.to let flavors marry.

Add the butter and stir until melted; remove from heat.

Let cool about 30 min. then pour into food processor and process until
pecans and bacon are finely chopped.

This sauce may be used to bbq Chicken, pork or ribs.

Makes 5 cups. May be stored in refrigerator up to 30 days.
Old May 13th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel[_2_]

On 5/12/2009 1:42 PM wrote:

black anodized steel is a common thing, all you have to do is find out how
it is done and do it on a small scale for spokes.
hope this helps
greg

I'm pretty sure that anodizing isn't used on steel.

"Anodic films are most commonly applied to protect aluminium alloys,
although processes also exist for titanium, zinc, magnesium, and niobium.
This process is not a useful treatment for iron or carbon steel because
these metals exfoliate when oxidized; i.e. the iron oxide (also known as
rust) flakes off, constantly exposing the underlying metal to corrosion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodize

I wonder how stainless parts are made black, commercially... some Googling
turned up:

"...there is a commercial proprietary product available for blackening
stainless steel based on copper-selenium chemistry. It is used at room
temperature. More information can be obtained by doing an internet search
under the term “blackening process.”

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/cli...cl_plate3.html

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old May 13th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

Tosspot wrote:
Johan Bornman wrote:
Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations. How do they blacken spokes
and can this be done in a workshop as and when needed?

Can't you just heat them up and dunk them in motor oil. I seem to
recall that from boyhood buggerings about.

not while keeping their full work hardened strength.
Old May 13th 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On May 12, 3:18*pm, Johan Bornman wrote:
Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations. How do they blacken spokes
and can this be done in a workshop as and when needed?

Wouldn't blackened spokes be even harder for squirrels to see?