Why aren't seats made stronger?

Old October 4th 03, 08:54 PM
tugboat

Default Why aren't seats made stronger?

hi everyone. im a little mad right now, cause i just ripped my viscount
saddle in half! it had been bent for about a month, but it has now been
completely ripped. i dont know how many other people have been bending
and breaking saddles these days, but i think they should be made
stronger. we're coming into an age where unicycling is getting bigger
and more extreme. i really dont think the viscount, KH, and miyatas are
going to stand up to the pressure they will be taking in the next few
years. so im just thinking.... there needs to be a seat that isnt too
expensive but that can stand the force thats being put on it. i really
dont want to start breaking a seat every month, but it looks like its
gonna go that way if i keep using any of the seats available right now.
anyone else in the same place as me? so now i cant ride until i can get
30$ to get a new viscount and seat post. grrr. see ya,

Kevin James McMullin

--
tugboat - crazy unier
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

Old October 4th 03, 10:50 PM
evilewan

the viscount seat base is made of realy thick steel, breaking one is a
freak occourance, dont worry about it.

in fact unless it got run over by a car, it must have been a
manufacturing defect.

the viscount is the stronget seat you can get, the bumper falls of
sometimes but thats it.

what on earth do you do on your unicycle? hold elephants on your
shoulders?

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

Old October 5th 03, 12:40 AM
Checkernuts

I agree with evilewan viscounts are tuff. I have thrashed mine and am
down 2 seatposts but the saddle is still fine itself. The bumpers have
fallen off and the foam on the seat has come up to where its torn now
and held together with duct tape.

You could always get a Carbon Fiber seat base if you need more strenght,
but Its an expencive option.

Chex

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old October 5th 03, 11:56 AM
tugboat

what on earth do you do on your unicycle? hold elephants on your
shoulders?

im a street rider... lately ive been trying to jump a 10 set, and ive
landed a few without feet and all the force is taken out on the front of
the seat. im assuming this is why it snapped in half

Old October 5th 03, 08:53 PM
uni-2-death

evilewan wrote:
*the viscount seat base is made of realy thick steel, breaking one is
a freak occourance, dont worry about it.

in fact unless it got run over by a car, it must have been a
manufacturing defect.

the viscount is the stronget seat you can get, the bumper falls of
sometimes but thats it.

what on earth do you do on your unicycle? hold elephants on your
shoulders? *

--
uni-2-death - crazy unicyclist

life's a garden... DIG IT
uni-2-death's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4170

Old October 6th 03, 02:23 AM
evilewan

have you got pictures of the dead seat?

you are probably in a verry exclusive club, not many people have broken
a viscount seat in half.

--
evilewan - death or glory

Old October 6th 03, 04:23 AM
johnfoss

Being metal, unlike most of today's other unicycle seats, the Viscount
has the disadvantage of metal fatigue. In other words, if something
major happens to it, like a real hard landing with rider's weight on
front of seat, it can get cracked or weakened. Then continual pulling up
and pushing down will gradually break down the metal until it breaks.

Can't say I ever broke a Viscount, or Semcycle Deluxe/old style Schwinn
seat.

Today's unicycle design's aren't really made for the kind of stresses we
put on the seat and post. They just weren't originally designed for all
the pulling and pressing. If you attach an accessory handle to the front
of your seat, you put even more strain on the seat base and seatpost. So
instead of just buying another one of the same seats and waiting until
it breaks, you just need to do a little custom work to shore it up.

For example, check out the Miyata seat on my DM, below. Gussets correct
the chronic weakness of the Miyata seatpost, and the seat base on there
should last forever.

| Attachment filename: 693111702_0_alb.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/165678|

johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married