Ping Roger Zoul--Ride for the Raptors

Old October 4th 04, 02:20 AM
Roger Zoul

pam_in_sc wrote:
|| psycholist wrote:
||| Hi Pam & Roger,
||| I was there ... hanging with the front group for about 75 miles.
||| Kept losing my chain then having to chase back. I think I just
||| learned a drawback to compact cranks. If you drop your chain, it
||| won't just shift back on (at least mine wouldn't). I had to stop
||| and dismount.
||| Isn't Maw Bridge special?
||| It was really special being in no-man's land and trying to chase
||| back on as we came to the festival and traffic jam in Central.
||| That was insane.
||| I'd like to know the cum. elevation gain on that ride. It's
||| probably awfully high for a ride that has no real mountain climbs.
||| I was happy to be in under 5 hours ... and the guys who remained at
||| the front finished 20 minutes ahead of me!
||| Bob C.
|| I wondered how the groups got across that mess in Central. If you
|| have
|| a problem with your chain coming off have you looked at the Jump Stop
|| (see http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/index.html ). I just got one and I
|| love it.
|| I would love to know the cumulative elevation gain, as I've been
|| scared
|| of rides in Spartanburg that had pretty hefty elevation gains, but
|| perhaps I've been doing as much. I haven't ridden the 100 start to
|| finish but I've ridden the outer loops (skipping the first part of
|| the ride).

According to Richard Hare, the 100 has 5500 ft of elevation gain. When I
quit at about 80 miles, I had 4380 according to my Polar 720i. Richard told
me he never measured the 66.

|| I live about 5 miles from Maw Bridge Road and I just got a heart rate
|| monitor. I didn't want to try it on the ride because I was afraid it
|| was going to be uncomfortable, so I went back and rode Maw Bridge
|| Road
|| again today. I hit a maximum heart rate of 195, sustained above 190
|| for
|| the steepest part of the hill. Does that mean I have the heart of a
|| 25
|| year old? Considering that I am 49 years old, have a BMI of 27, and
|| have only been back to bicycling 4 months, I was very happy.

Wow. You have a really high HR. I've never seem mine above 176 and i'm 46.
I don't have a clue what the numbers mean but supposedly if sustaining those
high percentages doesn't kill you, you get better.

Old October 4th 04, 02:37 AM
psycholist

Roger,

I believe you and I said a passing hello to each other at about 7:35
yesterday morning (without either of us knowing who the other was). You
described yourself to me before the Tigerville ride and it just came back to
me now. Were you parked on the north end of the square near the Mexican
restaurant? I always park up there in the lot behind that restaurant 'cuz
that's where the bathrooms are and, as I've established in prior posts, I'm
an old fart.

Sorry it didn't occur to me at the time who you were.

I wonder where Rick got his info on the elevation gain? That sounds like
the figure I've heard in prior years. He changed the route a good bit this
year thanks to WalMart. I think he added a few rather substantial hills up
there on Hwy. 11.

As for the lead group zipping past and seeming to cut it close, most of
those guys have some serious bike skills. What I really find funny is the
racer dudes who seem to have to pee every 5 minutes and who have to show off
how they can do it while they're still riding along with the group. It
hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure one of these days one of them will go down
holding ... themself ... and they'll probably take out some poor innocent.

Bob C.

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
pam_in_sc wrote:
|| Hey Roger--did you have a good ride? I did the 62 and had a
|| wonderful time. It took me 5 1/1 hours, but I did stop and eat a
|| hamburger, as I got a fairly late start (about 8:45) and I don't do
|| well if I postpone lunch too late. I kept looking for you to pass
|| me in the area where the 100 had rejoined the 62. I was actually
|| surprised there weren't more riders--I heard about 250. My ride
|| account is on my blog at: http://deeplanguage.blogspot.com/

Hi Pam! I was wondering about you. I left out at 8 am because I had a

date
planned for later that evening and needed to get home and get ready and
stuff.

All was going great until about mile 50 or so. I started noticing cramps.
Then, at about mile 80, back at the rest stop where the 66 and 100 split,

quit. The cramps were just too much for me to continue. Right before
getting to the rest stop I had to get off the bike due to the cramps -- in
both legs, too. At that point, I had done about 4380 feet of elevation

gain,
out of about 5500 according to Richard Hare. I thought about perhaps

trying
to continue, but it would have been unfair to the volunteers for me to be
fooling around out there.

So, I got about 80 miles and 4380 feet of climbing. The elevation gain is
the most I've done yet, by about 1100 feet or so. I've only been over 80
once, too (last week). All in all, I knew I was shooting, and I guess I
over-reached.

So I sagged twice this year - once at the Tigerville BBQ Trek (I could

have
avoided that one) and one this one! I started riding last September. I
completed the NAMI (35 miles) and Tour De Paws (metric), though.

I never saw those 250 people though. I got dropped by the peloton after
about 1.5 hours into my ride. Those guys flew by when I was going around

18
mph or so. They were cutting so close I could not help but wonder if

there
knew who there were zooming by (a noob!). I could have took out a bunch of
folks with domino action! Others started catching up at the other rest
stops, but I would have guess about 150 or so. Some of them recognized me
from other rides, since I'm always wearing my hi-vis green socks! I'm hard
not to notice

BTW, I'm still hurting. I was cramping all yesterday evening, too.

Old October 4th 04, 02:45 AM
Thornhill

Roger Zoul wrote:

Is that Rural Ride Round the Islands in Charleston on Dec 9? Someone told
me about that one - a flat century. I may very well do that one since I'm
almost certain I can complete it (I sure as hell hope I can)

It's actually the weekend before that. Here are links to more info:
www.festavelo.com or www.coastalcyclists.org

mike

The Thornhill Mobile HomePage
http://www.geocities.com/thornhillmobilehome
Old October 4th 04, 02:56 AM
Roger Zoul

psycholist wrote:
|| Roger,
|| I believe you and I said a passing hello to each other at about 7:35
|| yesterday morning (without either of us knowing who the other was).
|| You described yourself to me before the Tigerville ride and it just
|| came back to me now. Were you parked on the north end of the square
|| near the Mexican restaurant? I always park up there in the lot
|| behind that restaurant 'cuz that's where the bathrooms are and, as
|| I've established in prior posts, I'm an old fart.

Figures! I don't remember the Mexican restaurant, but I was parked very
near the bathrooms in that lot that sort of forms a loop around some
building and exits on E. Queen. It has been a while since I've been on the
square in Pendleton (I used to live very near there, too).

|| Sorry it didn't occur to me at the time who you were.

No problemo. I kinda figured you'd be out there and going fast

|| I wonder where Rick got his info on the elevation gain? That sounds
|| like the figure I've heard in prior years. He changed the route a
|| good bit this year thanks to WalMart. I think he added a few rather
|| substantial hills up there on Hwy. 11.

Yeah, I think I'll ask him. I didn't realize until yesterday that the route
had changed due to Walmart. That might explain why some of the mileage
numbers on the cue sheets were a bit off, by my count anyway.

|| As for the lead group zipping past and seeming to cut it close, most
|| of those guys have some serious bike skills. What I really find
|| funny is the racer dudes who seem to have to pee every 5 minutes and
|| who have to show off how they can do it while they're still riding
|| along with the group. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure one of
|| these days one of them will go down holding ... themself ... and
|| they'll probably take out some poor innocent.

Thanks for telling me this....I'd hate to be drafting one of these dudes
while he's taking a wiz...I'll slow way down in the future! Funny thing --
when I spotted them coming up on me in my mirror I immediately sped up...I
wanted to hold them off for as long as possible and make them work to catch
me / daydream mode off /

Old October 4th 04, 12:02 PM
pam_in_sc

Roger Zoul wrote:
pam_in_sc wrote:
|| Hey Roger--did you have a good ride? I did the 62 and had a
|| wonderful time. It took me 5 1/1 hours, but I did stop and eat a
|| hamburger, as I got a fairly late start (about 8:45) and I don't do
|| well if I postpone lunch too late. I kept looking for you to pass
|| me in the area where the 100 had rejoined the 62. I was actually
|| surprised there weren't more riders--I heard about 250. My ride
|| account is on my blog at: http://deeplanguage.blogspot.com/

Hi Pam! I was wondering about you. I left out at 8 am because I had a date
planned for later that evening and needed to get home and get ready and
stuff.

All was going great until about mile 50 or so. I started noticing cramps.
Then, at about mile 80, back at the rest stop where the 66 and 100 split, I
[...]

I was looking for those green socks! It sounds like to accomplished a
new personal record in the climbing anyway, even if you didn't go the
whole way.

Pam

Old October 4th 04, 01:31 PM
Roger Zoul

pam_in_sc wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: pam_in_sc wrote:
::::: Hey Roger--did you have a good ride? I did the 62 and had a
::::: wonderful time. It took me 5 1/1 hours, but I did stop and eat a
::::: hamburger, as I got a fairly late start (about 8:45) and I don't
::::: do well if I postpone lunch too late. I kept looking for you to
::::: pass me in the area where the 100 had rejoined the 62. I was
::::: actually surprised there weren't more riders--I heard about 250.
::::: My ride account is on my blog at:
::::: http://deeplanguage.blogspot.com/
:::
[...]
::
::
:: I was looking for those green socks! It sounds like to
:: accomplished a new personal record in the climbing anyway, even if
:: you didn't go the whole way.
::

I'm definitely glad I tried it. I felt is was great fun even though I was
upset that my legs gave out. But it lets me know where I am and that some
additional work is needed (losing more weight is probably the number 1 thing
along with some squatting in the gym). I have some serious goals for next
year, so I'm already thinking about those. Since I now know about Maw
Bridge Rd, I may start doing some training on it, too.

Funny thing: Ladies always comment on my hi-vis green socks! It takes a
REAL MAN to wear them!

Let me know when your next organized ride will be, so we can try to meet
again. I'm planning on that flat century in Charleston on December 4. I've
already reserved a hotel room (i'm not into the camping thing). I'm also
considering the Cruisin' in the Country Bike Ride in Claxton, Georgia. I
won't have much time to do a century between now and end of October.

Old October 4th 04, 02:17 PM
psycholist

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
pam_in_sc wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: pam_in_sc wrote:
[...]

I feel sorry for anybody doing that ride who didn't know about Maw Bridge in
advance. It's pretty shocking to see that wall appear in front of you.
Even some of the guys in the front racer pack gasped at the sight of it.

Several years ago, the Ride for Raptors was part of the Railroad Festival in
Central and started from there. We'd hit that Maw Bridge climb only 3 miles
into the ride when there were 250 riders still all bunched together. THAT
was interesting. If you weren't at the very front, odds were you'd be
standing in the road behind someone with a dropped chain and the dozen
people who couldn't get around them.

Bob C.

Old October 4th 04, 02:36 PM
the black rose

Roger Zoul wrote:
pam_in_sc wrote:
|| I hit a maximum heart rate of 195, sustained above 190
|| for
|| the steepest part of the hill. Does that mean I have the heart of a
|| 25
|| year old? Considering that I am 49 years old, have a BMI of 27, and
|| have only been back to bicycling 4 months, I was very happy.

Wow. You have a really high HR. I've never seem mine above 176 and i'm 46.
I don't have a clue what the numbers mean but supposedly if sustaining those
high percentages doesn't kill you, you get better.

Pam and I should probably found the Hummingbird Heart Club. *grin* I'm
another 40-something with a max heart rate in the mid-190's.

As far as I know, it's just normal human variation. It doesn't do us
any more harm to fly along at 195 than it does you to fly along at 176.

I *wish* I could keep my heart rate down to 176 on hills..... *grin*

-km
Old October 4th 04, 02:38 PM
the black rose

Jeff Starr wrote:
Earlier, you mentioned that your daughter, wondered if she could do a
25 mile ride, with practice. Well in early Sept, I did a local ride
that offered 15 or 25 miles, but turned out to be 20 & 30. Well I did
the 30, but after doing 20 it put me at the turn around for the "15".
I rode the last 10 miles with a non riding friend, who signed up with
her girlfriends, who proceeded to leave her behind. The point is, this
woman rode out the first 10 with and then at about mile 14 we passed
the mother with her young son that she had done that portion of the
ride with. The little boy was riding one of those one speed bikes with
I think 16" tires. They are certainly no bigger than 16". My guess is
he was between 6 & 8 years old. I don't know if he finished, but he
was moving right along at appr 14 miles, when we passed him. I see no
reason why a healthy 11 yr old couldn't ride 25 miles.

Possibly lack of muscle endurance would be one reason a healthy kid
couldn't ride that far. Just a guess. My healthy 16-yr-old son had to
work up to it. (Granted, he didn't take as long to work up to it as *I*
did.)

-km
Old October 4th 04, 03:23 PM
Roger Zoul

psycholist wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::: pam_in_sc wrote:
::::: Roger Zoul wrote:
:::::: pam_in_sc wrote:
:::::::: Hey Roger--did you have a good ride? I did the 62 and had a
:::::::: wonderful time. It took me 5 1/1 hours, but I did stop and
:::::::: eat a hamburger, as I got a fairly late start (about 8:45) and
:::::::: I don't do well if I postpone lunch too late. I kept looking
:::::::: for you to pass me in the area where the 100 had rejoined the
:::::::: 62. I was actually surprised there weren't more riders--I
:::::::: heard about 250. My ride account is on my blog at:
:::::::: http://deeplanguage.blogspot.com/
::::::
:::::: Hi Pam! I was wondering about you. I left out at 8 am because I
:::::: had a date planned for later that evening and needed to get home
:::::: and get ready and stuff.
::::::
:::::: All was going great until about mile 50 or so. I started
:::::: noticing cramps. Then, at about mile 80, back at the rest stop
:::::: where the 66 and 100 split, I quit. The cramps were just too
[...]
:::::
:::::
[...]

Somehow it makes me feel better that even you advance guys get taken aback
at the sight of a long hill.
Fortunately for me, Pam had mentioned that hill in a post so I decided to go
see it. Of course, driving a hill in a car gives you no idea (well,
speaking just for myself) of what it is like to ride it on a bicycle. The
length and steepness definitely stood out in my mind. I can't help but
wonder, however, if it is better not to know about such hills for someone at
my stage. Thinking about dying on a hill ain't fun either. And of course,
there were those other ones further our that I didn't know about and they
came one after another.

::
:: Several years ago, the Ride for Raptors was part of the Railroad
:: Festival in Central and started from there. We'd hit that Maw
:: Bridge climb only 3 miles into the ride when there were 250 riders
:: still all bunched together. THAT was interesting. If you weren't
:: at the very front, odds were you'd be standing in the road behind
:: someone with a dropped chain and the dozen people who couldn't get
:: around them.

Wow....I thought that hill was well placed in the ride this year. I was
warmed up and that rest stop was a few miles before the hill, so there was
time to refresh for it. I didn't see anyone with dropped chains on Maw
Bridge even though I got one at the rest stop (rest area) on SC 11.