Wheel Size Specification?

Old June 30th 05, 12:34 PM
Ewan

Default Wheel Size Specification?

This is really O/T as I want to use a bicycle wheel for a one off project
with no cycling relevance.
Can someone easily tell me when referring to a 26 inch wheel for example, is
this the diameter including the tyre or is it the diameter of the wheel rim
or maybe even something else?
Thanks for any replies.
Ewan

Old June 30th 05, 12:58 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:34:06 +0700, "Ewan" wrote:

Can someone easily tell me when referring to a 26 inch wheel for example, is
this the diameter including the tyre or is it the diameter of the wheel rim
or maybe even something else?

Something Else. As always, Sheldon has the answer:
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Let’s have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle."
- Earl Blumenauer
Old June 30th 05, 02:58 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:34:06 +0700, Ewan wrote:

This is really O/T as I want to use a bicycle wheel for a one off project
with no cycling relevance.
Can someone easily tell me when referring to a 26 inch wheel for example, is
this the diameter including the tyre or is it the diameter of the wheel rim
or maybe even something else?

Theoretically it is the diameter including the tire. But those
numbers/names were attached when tire size preferences were far different
than they are now, so they will be far off now. Wheel rim size is
considerably less than the name would suggest. For example, a "700c" rim
measures 622mm

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ

Old July 1st 05, 02:51 AM
Mike Kruger

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message

Wheel rim size is
considerably less than the name would suggest. For example,

a "700c" rim
measures 622mm

Wheels are male (after all, you buy rubber tubes to put on
them) and there's always a bit of exaggeration about size.