Roadies don’t jump the bump?

Old January 19th 05, 08:54 AM
NickZX6R

Default Roadies don’t jump the bump?

Marx SS wrote:
I ride MTBs (1x offroad with knobbies & 1x dunga commuter) , both on &
off the black top. Commuting, with the old one with rigid forks &
slicks with pretty high tyre pressures, I come across speed humps &
little bumps so I kinda bunny hop/jump over them so I don’t have to
brake & take them too slow, nothing’s as bad as losing all that
wonderful momentum for a akwardly placed traffic management device.

I see other commuter MTB riders usually just eat them up with their
suspension etc.

Thing is, there’s roadies I see about who look & ride full-on
professional but wash off heaps just before a slight bump/pot hole/step
& ride right through it at a low speed.
I thought that hopping over the obstical would be the best thing for
it. Road bikes are light & low hopping doesn’t mean a massive crash
landing as your legs takes the sting out of it. Surely road
frames/wheels are OK to take some little hopping about?
Are they?

Last time I saw a roadie hop over a gutter was some bloke in a green
jersey through the backroads of Paris on the tele.

hahaha I'm the opposite. Bikes are for riding. I love jumping stuff on
a roadie. It's good fun when you're on a loose surface to lock the rear
wheel and let it get sideways

I thought everyone did these sorts of things

--
Nick
Old January 19th 05, 09:20 AM
mfhor

NickZX6R Wrote:
Marx SS wrote
I ride MTBs (1x offroad with knobbies & 1x dunga commuter) , both o

off the black top. Commuting, with the old one with rigid forks
slicks with pretty high tyre pressures, I come across speed humps
little bumps so I kinda bunny hop/jump over them so I don’t have t
brake & take them too slow, nothing’s as bad as losing all tha
wonderful momentum for a akwardly placed traffic management device

I see other commuter MTB riders usually just eat them up with thei
suspension etc

Thing is, there’s roadies I see about who look & ride full-o
professional but wash off heaps just before a slight bump/po

hole/ste
& ride right through it at a low speed
I thought that hopping over the obstical would be the best thing fo
it. Road bikes are light & low hopping doesn’t mean a massive cras
landing as your legs takes the sting out of it. Surely roa
frames/wheels are OK to take some little hopping about
Are they

Last time I saw a roadie hop over a gutter was some bloke in a gree
jersey through the backroads of Paris on the tele

hahaha I'm the opposite. Bikes are for riding. I love jumping stuff o
a roadie. It's good fun when you're on a loose surface to lock the rea
wheel and let it get sideways :

I thought everyone did these sorts of things :

-
Nick

Try it on low spoke count wheels without a spares vehicle around. Ha!

My 32 spoke CXP33 wheels are OK for the occasional pothole or gutte
jump (down) if I'm gentle, but the lack of all that extra air that MT
tyres have between the tyre and the rim makes me a bit anxious that on
day I'll mistime it, bottom out the tyre on the concrete and put
crease in a perfectly good rim. You have to accelerate a roadie harde
to make it jump, and twitch it up harder. It's a geometry thing.

M "trials rider? Ha!"

--
mfhor

Old January 19th 05, 07:28 PM
NickZX6R

mfhor wrote:

&

[...]

My 32 spoke CXP33 wheels are OK for the occasional pothole or gutter
jump (down) if I'm gentle, but the lack of all that extra air that MTB
tyres have between the tyre and the rim makes me a bit anxious that one
day I'll mistime it, bottom out the tyre on the concrete and put a
crease in a perfectly good rim. You have to accelerate a roadie harder
to make it jump, and twitch it up harder. It's a geometry thing.

M "trials rider? Ha!" H

That's why I tend to avoid those hi-tech expensive wheels. 32 spokes and
Open Pros do the job for me.

You're right about it being harder. I'm still working on doing monos -
they're tricky

--
Nick
Old January 19th 05, 11:55 PM

Mfhor wrote:

Try it on low spoke count wheels without a spares vehicle around. Ha!

So I take it then that you're saying Ksyriums are junk? :P

Regards,

Suzy (who occasionally bunnyhops potholes, but never on the fixed wheel)