Rec: 1" carbon threadless fork with metal steerer?

Old October 21st 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
m&m

Default Rec: 1" carbon threadless fork with metal steerer?

Am looking for recs for 1" carbon threadless fork w metal steerer.

Kestrel EMS forks seem to fit the bill, but can't seem to find a place
that carries these.

Also, is there a max amt of spacers that can be used w metal steerer
(like I see mentioned for carbon steerers)?

tia, M

Old October 21st 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

m&m wrote:
Am looking for recs for 1" carbon threadless fork w metal steerer.

unless it's a steel steerer, cheaper 1" carbon forks tend to lack
stiffness. how big a frame is it intended for and how heavy are you?

Kestrel EMS forks seem to fit the bill, but can't seem to find a place
that carries these.

that's a good thing you can't find one - unless it's one of the old ones
made in california, do not touch a kestrel with a long pole. i've had
two chinese made ones start to fail on me. always perform the "squeeze
test" on any carbon fork you buy before fitting.

Also, is there a max amt of spacers that can be used w metal steerer
(like I see mentioned for carbon steerers)?

theoretically, the same. in practice though, you can probably double up
on a steel steerer.

you could try the 1" steel steerer carbon fork from performance bike,
but again, perform the squeeze test when you first get it, and return it
if it fails.
Old October 21st 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
m&m

Merlin Ti Frame, 55cm. Me - 200lbs.
The bike has a carbon fork w carbon steerer (Ouzo Pro)- but I'm just
concerned given my wt. Should I be?

tia, M

Old October 21st 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

m&m wrote:
Merlin Ti Frame, 55cm. Me - 200lbs.
The bike has a carbon fork w carbon steerer (Ouzo Pro)- but I'm just
concerned given my wt. Should I be?

tia, M

fork? it won't break, but it'll bend a bit.

personally, i don't like merlin frames - they don't seem to have figured
out that big diameter down tubes make for better lateral stiffness. and
they cheap out by not using tapered stay tubes.
Old October 21st 07, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Oct 20, 7:30 pm, m&m wrote:
Am looking for recs for 1" carbon threadless fork w metal steerer.

Kestrel EMS forks seem to fit the bill, but can't seem to find a place
that carries these.

Also, is there a max amt of spacers that can be used w metal steerer
(like I see mentioned for carbon steerers)?

tia, M

I've got a Ritchey Comp with an Al steerer. I weigh 235 and use 65mm
of spacers (2x 30mm + a 5mm). It's on a 59cm frame and the 300mm
steerer is uncut. I've got an 11cm Ti stem, so that will flex long
before my steerer will.

Here's one of many on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/3anu96

Old October 21st 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Borg[_2_]

"m&m" wrote in message
oups.com...
Should I be?

Should you be what? Coming up with better trolls?

Old October 21st 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

jim beam wrote:
fork? it won't break, but it'll bend a bit.
personally, i don't like merlin frames - they don't seem to have figured
out that big diameter down tubes make for better lateral stiffness. and
they cheap out by not using tapered stay tubes.

If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
delamination I'd like to see it.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old October 21st 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
m&m

Thanks Hank. Very helpful.

Old October 22nd 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

jim beam wrote:
fork? it won't break, but it'll bend a bit.
personally, i don't like merlin frames - they don't seem to have
figured out that big diameter down tubes make for better lateral
stiffness. and they cheap out by not using tapered stay tubes.

If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
delamination I'd like to see it.

bend, not get bent. bending is elastic.
Old October 22nd 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Andrew Muzi mused:

If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
delamination I'd like to see it.

Here is a photograph of a CFRP fork for a bent that has not been
destroyed by delamination:
http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/uploads/Itemizer/1471.1.jpg.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!