Customer had a problem with our service

Old February 11th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Customer had a problem with our service

Just heard about this one from my wife. We had a customer come in for a flat
tire, which she had someone take care of. He was then telling her he's had
some problems with our shop, specifically that we had previously recommended
his chain be replaced because it was worn. She explained to him that we
recommend replacing chains when worn because if you let them go on too long,
they wear out your cassette.

He replied that wasn't a problem because he doesn't use cassettes anymore,
just CDs. And he was serious. He went on to say that he planned to ride the
same chain until it broke.

(This particular customer is playing with less than a full deck, so we try
to be nice, but it was very difficult to keep from cracking up in this case)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 11th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Just heard about this one from my wife. We had a customer come in for
a flat tire, which she had someone take care of. He was then telling
her he's had some problems with our shop, specifically that we had
previously recommended his chain be replaced because it was worn. She
explained to him that we recommend replacing chains when worn because
if you let them go on too long, they wear out your cassette.

He replied that wasn't a problem because he doesn't use cassettes
anymore, just CDs. And he was serious. He went on to say that he
planned to ride the same chain until it broke.

(This particular customer is playing with less than a full deck, so
we try to be nice, but it was very difficult to keep from cracking up
in this case)

One cog short of a cluster? :-P

Old February 11th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. net...
Just heard about this one from my wife. We had a customer come in for a
flat tire, which she had someone take care of. He was then telling her
he's had some problems with our shop, specifically that we had previously
recommended his chain be replaced because it was worn. She explained to
him that we recommend replacing chains when worn because if you let them
go on too long, they wear out your cassette.

He replied that wasn't a problem because he doesn't use cassettes anymore,
just CDs. And he was serious. He went on to say that he planned to ride
the same chain until it broke.

(This particular customer is playing with less than a full deck, so we try
to be nice, but it was very difficult to keep from cracking up in this
case)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

At least he won't be RWI (riding while iPod'ing).

Old February 11th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Mike Jacoubowsky writes:

Just heard about this one from my wife. We had a customer come in
for a flat tire, which she had someone take care of. He was then
telling her he's had some problems with our shop, specifically that
we had previously recommended his chain be replaced because it was
worn. She explained to him that we recommend replacing chains when
worn because if you let them go on too long, they wear out your
cassette.

He replied that wasn't a problem because he doesn't use cassettes
anymore, just CDs. And he was serious. He went on to say that he
planned to ride the same chain until it broke.

(This particular customer is playing with less than a full deck, so
we try to be nice, but it was very difficult to keep from cracking
up in this case)

I see the same problem here in this forum. When discussing mechanical
items on bicycles, especially with someone like the customer in
question, not using jargon is the best policy. I find using cassette
awkward because whether they are individual sprockets of a cassette is
immaterial. The sprockets wear to a point where they must all be
replaced when the chain is replaced. That's the problem.

The customer may discover his faux pas later and feel embarrassed,
choosing not to come back to this shop where he made these blunders.
Many people revel in assimilating as much bike-jargon as possible to
show they are part of the in group. I notice it while riding, where a
newbie seems to say to himself, now's my chance and shouts "on your
left", as if it made any difference on an empty road.

Jobst Brandt
Old February 11th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 11, 3:54 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Just heard about this one from my wife. We had a customer come in for a flat
tire, which she had someone take care of. He was then telling her he's had
some problems with our shop, specifically that we had previously recommended
his chain be replaced because it was worn. She explained to him that we
recommend replacing chains when worn because if you let them go on too long,
they wear out your cassette.

He replied that wasn't a problem because he doesn't use cassettes anymore,
just CDs. And he was serious. He went on to say that he planned to ride the
same chain until it broke.

(This particular customer is playing with less than a full deck, so we try
to be nice, but it was very difficult to keep from cracking up in this case)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Hanging out at the LBS the other day I think this guy's missing twin
was in to complain. He had purchased a $300 MTB a month earlier, and
complained that it was dangerous and had caused him to crash, ruining
his vacation, and that it didn't shift right. He also claimed he rode
about 1000 km per week as he used his bike for transport for his job
which was to "collect information about compaines that need to be
investigated." His belly seemed to suggest that this 1000km claim was
a bit exagerated. The guy at the store took one look at the bike which
was completly trashed, and just to get rid of the guy, tried to offer
fixing everything for free. The rear hanger was bent among other
things so he figured it would be an easy fix. The guy wasn't
interested. He wanted a list over all the other customers that had
bought the same bike because he was going to bring a class action suit
against the shop on their behalf. And he wanted his money back. He
then stated saying the frame was an amazingly good quality frame, but
the bike was terrible, and he knows about frames. He then started
rummaging through his bag which was overflowing with folders and files
of an illegible nature for at least 20 minutes looking for something.
Then he just left. The kid at the store joked to me that maybe the
should give the boss' cell-phone number to the guy as punishment for
not giving his a raise.

I looked at the bike and my theory is that someone at the group home
where this guy must live probably has the same bike albeit a few years
older, and somehow they got mixed up and this nut didn't notice.

It sure brightened up the day.

Then a guy came in with a grungy wheel with a flat. He wanted a refund
because he had gotten a flat fixed there "only a few weeks ago". He
put the wheel on the counter and the LBS guy looked at it for about 2
seconds and then pointed to a HUGE nail that was sticking into the
tire. "Oh, I didn't see that." the customer said.

I feel for you guys!

Joseph

Old February 11th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

Just heard about this one from my wife. We had a customer come in for a flat
tire, which she had someone take care of. He was then telling her he's had
some problems with our shop, specifically that we had previously recommended
his chain be replaced because it was worn. She explained to him that we
recommend replacing chains when worn because if you let them go on too long,
they wear out your cassette.

He replied that wasn't a problem because he doesn't use cassettes anymore,
just CDs. And he was serious.

Uh, why wouldn't he be? More to the point, why would you assume that
everyone who rides a bike also knows all the mechanical terminology?
While it might be common knowledge to you and most people here that a
(type of) rear cluster is also known as a cassette, we're probably also
more comfortable changing our own flats than this guy clearly was.

(This particular customer is playing with less than a full deck, so we try
to be nice, but it was very difficult to keep from cracking up in this case)

So you tend to laugh at people who actually need your services? That is
the oddest customer service I have ever heard of. It is even more
strange that you'd post your poor attitude, seemingly *bragging*, to
Usenet.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org
Old February 11th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Dear Mike:
SNIP
He replied that wasn't a problem because he doesn't use cassettes anymore,
just CDs. And he was serious. He went on to say that he planned to ride the
same chain until it broke.

SNIP
Ouch. Did you/your staff let the guy know when you or your local
bike advocacy group give basic bike repair lessons? As in, "You put
enough miles on that bike -- what if you get a flat far from a bike
shop?" I've seen Information technology people laugh the same way when
the jargon isn't understood by those not in the know.
By the way, did you see the latest "Bicycling" magazine? The one
with the articles on the best hill climbs around the United States? We
you their sole consultant on California hilly roads? Their picks were
all Old La Honda, Mt. Hamilton, Sierra Road -- it was like reading
your ride diary!
Robert Leone

Old February 11th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat

He replied that wasn't a problem because he doesn't use cassettes
anymore,
just CDs. And he was serious.

Uh, why wouldn't he be? More to the point, why would you assume that
everyone who rides a bike also knows all the mechanical terminology?
While it might be common knowledge to you and most people here that a
(type of) rear cluster is also known as a cassette, we're probably also
more comfortable changing our own flats than this guy clearly was.

Now, think about what you just wrote for a second. Why would the guy think
his CD player would have anything to do with his bicycle chain? If she was
talking about the chain wearing out something---anything---it would have to
be something the chain touches!

You are bending over backward to be contentious. Get a grip, man!

Old February 11th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat

snip
Many people revel in assimilating as much bike-jargon as possible to
show they are part of the in group. I notice it while riding, where a
newbie seems to say to himself, now's my chance and shouts "on your
left", as if it made any difference on an empty road.

Jobst Brandt

I take your point, but please don't discourage newbies from alerting people
to their presence. Many times, I have been near one while riding and they
tend to---well, let's just say they don't keep a straight line while riding.
If a newbie comes up beside me and yells "on your left", it tells me he is
trying to be conscientious and not bang into anybody.

Pat in TX

Old February 11th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TomP

Mike, Mike, Mike you've really stepped in it now.
Now everyone knows the dirty little secret of how "Elitist shop owners'" laugh
at their customers behind their backs... shame on you.

What are you a Republican?

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

[...]

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Rivendell customer service is very good Gooserider General 37 March 8th 05 01:49 PM
Great Customer Service Gags Australia 5 February 25th 05 12:43 AM
crankbrothers customer service pauly Mountain Biking 6 December 2nd 04 05:25 PM
'Customer Service', my arse... Russell Fulker UK 4 May 1st 04 08:31 PM
Marzocchi customer service "BAD" Under estimated and slow Bent General 1 August 14th 03 12:21 PM