Warm weather bringing out the morons

Old March 9th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

Default Warm weather bringing out the morons

Tell me something Are all roads downhill for you?
careful trick question..... tick tock tick tock tick tock

Old March 11th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mark Hickey

"nash" wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
.. .
"nash" wrote:

But, if your front brake wears out first maybe you have to depend on the
rear brake more. So it depends on your bike and your brakes. I just
retired
my front and I know it is perfectly aligned. Though as I just said maybe
it
is worn being that it does stop more than half the weight if you are
correct.
I was not doing any downhill, just average speed in the rain, feather it,
and see which is more pronounced. It's the rear in my case.
I guess all I am trying to add is it depends on your situation as in all
things.

Thing is, physics isn't a "depends on thing"... you're giving advice
that is wrong and that could potentially hurt someone. The front
brake is the one you MUST use to stop as quickly as possible in an
emergency situation. To rely on the back brake in such a situation is
a horribly bad idea.

How am I trying to hurt someone? That is slander DA. I said they should
test their brakes like everyone else on the road does.
You would be killing me if I followed your advice then, obviously as I
described to you already.

OK, even though you're either a troll or hopelessly uninformed and/or
naive, I'll play along.

I'll make you the same offer (challenge) I have others...

You disconnect the front brake on your bike.

I disconnect teh rear brake on my bike.

We both ride 20+mph toward a brick wall.

You don't hit the brakes 'til I do.

The winner is the one who has front teeth when the challenge is over.

Interested?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old March 11th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"nash" wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
. ..
"nash" wrote:

[...]

You are disgustingly without manners. You obviously have read nothing I
wrote.
I have been biking since I was 8. You are not even talking about the same
thing so shove off.

Old March 12th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 11, 1:51 pm, "nash" wrote:

You are disgustingly without manners. You obviously have read nothing I
wrote.

I read the part that said your back brake was more effective than your
front brake. If both brakes are working properly, that statement is
flat wrong.

FWIW, a friend and I did a version of Mark's test back in, oh, 1968 or
so. I was on the first "ten speed" I'd ever ridden. He was on his
coaster brake bike, which he'd just overhauled completely. He swore
that it would stop as well as the caliper-brake bike.

So we rode side by side up to about 20 mph and hit our brakes. His
braking distance was at least twice what mine was. Just like Physics
(and I) predicted.

So that's the way it works in this universe, anyway. Your universe
may vary.

- Frank Krygowski