look ma . . .

Old June 16th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bob syr

Default look ma . . .

to rec.bicycles.misc -

Today I began to practice signaling. My bike is a Sun Retro-Alloy
Cruiser. It’s a 3-speed with coaster brakes. I found it difficult
to remove my left hand from the handlebars for very long. The street
is residential, long and slightly downhill with almost no auto
traffic; perfect for this type of practice. (Housewives observing me
from their kitchen windows probably wonder if I'm of diminished
responsibility.)

Now, my bike is called “retro” but it is different in one way from the
old Schwinn back in the ‘50s. It’s lighter. The alloy frame and the
wheels are much lighter than the steel in the heavy old bikes.
Consequently, the bike itself seems to be less stable and harder to
balance one-handed. However, with a little practice I don’t foresee a
problem with it.

I did try to ride *no-handed,* but I couldn’t let go for more than a
couple of seconds, and that brings me to my question:

Is there any benefit to practice no-handed riding? Does it improve
balance? Would one have better control of the bike? Is it something
I should be bothering with? Back in the old days I could ride no-
handed all over the place. And since I’m learning one-handed for
signaling, it would be no bother to learn no-handed, as long as the
street is auto-free, bicycle-free, and pedestrian-free. I wear a
helmet but, gosh, I really don’t want to crash.

Regards,
Bob Syr

Old June 16th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On Jun 15, 10:00*pm, bob syr wrote:

Is there any benefit to practice no-handed riding? *Does it improve
balance? *Would one have better control of the bike? *Is it something
I should be bothering with? *Back in the old days I could ride no-
handed all over the place. *And since I’m learning one-handed for
signaling, it would be no bother to learn no-handed, as long as the
street is auto-free, bicycle-free, and pedestrian-free. *I wear a
helmet but, gosh, I really don’t want to crash.

Regards,
Bob Syr

Handsfree riding is a sometimes useful skill on a road bike but- and I
don't mean to sound elitist here- I doubt you'll find it very
utilitarian if you ride your retro cruiser in the way most cruiser
users ride. Handsfree riding is useful only if you can't or don't want
to stop and I can't think of a single time I've ever seen a cruiser
rider being too intent on their ride to simply pull over for a moment.
OTOH, *practicing* handsfree riding will help you work on your balance
so it may be worthwhile for you.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

P.S.- Helmet or no, I don't know anyone that *wants* to crash. ;-)

Old June 16th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"bob syr" wrote in message
[...]

----------------------

If you're having trouble just removing a single hand then you likely have
some serious balance issues.

Perhaps you should consider a recumbent trike: www.catrike.com

Old June 16th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 16, 8:06*am, "Roger Zoul" wrote:
"bob syr" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I totally agree: trikes are great for the balance-challenged.

I ride a Sun EZ-3 recumbent trike [can be found @ http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/index.html
] due to a severe cycling accident in 2000. I like it because, unlike
a tadpole trike, it has the handlebar in front. And, to me, this is a
closer resemblance to a BIcycle, which I subconsciously need.

I'm very happy with my Sun, and I recommend it to anybody looking to
get into triking.

Keep us posted on your choice!

Regards,
Cullen C.
http://www.comatimes.blogspot.com/
Old June 16th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Roger Zoul wrote, On 6/16/2008 9:06 AM:
"bob syr" wrote in message
to rec.bicycles.misc -

Today I began to practice signaling. My bike is a Sun Retro-Alloy
Cruiser. It’s a 3-speed with coaster brakes. I found it difficult
to remove my left hand from the handlebars for very long. The street
is residential, long and slightly downhill with almost no auto
traffic; perfect for this type of practice. (Housewives observing me
from their kitchen windows probably wonder if I'm of diminished
responsibility.)

snip

Is there any benefit to practice no-handed riding? Does it improve
balance? Would one have better control of the bike? Is it something
I should be bothering with? Back in the old days I could ride no-
handed all over the place. And since I’m learning one-handed for
signaling, it would be no bother to learn no-handed, as long as the
street is auto-free, bicycle-free, and pedestrian-free. I wear a
helmet but, gosh, I really don’t want to crash.

Regards,
Bob Syr
----------------------

If you're having trouble just removing a single hand then you likely have
some serious balance issues.

Perhaps you should consider a recumbent trike: www.catrike.com

Bob,
I don't think you have serious balance issues and you don't need a
trike. You're just getting back into riding after many years. Give it
some time; with more practice your balance will improve and so will your
confidence. And if you want, you can even try practicing riding with
no-hands. All the riding skills that seem so difficult now will seem
totally natural a year from now.

Riding no-handed can be useful on occasion. I can do it for short
periods on smooth, quiet roads. Its nice to be able to do simple
adjustments to my clothing (adjusting my gloves, zipping up my jersey,
rolling down my sleeves, etc) using both hands and without stopping. I
also ride no-handed whenever I want to briefly stretch my back, arms,
and shoulders. But I can't do the complicated of things that bicycle
racers do like putting on (or removing) jackets, leg warmers, arm
warmers, etc. If I tried to do any of those things, I'd probably end up
in the ditch. ;-)

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old June 16th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bob Syr wrote:

[...]

I don't think signaling should interfere with operating a bicycle, the
signal not being a long term activity but a single gesture that need
not be maintained over a long distance as some riders imagine, as they
emulate the flashing turn signal of a car approaching a turn.

I think it is a good way to understand bicycle stability and as others
have mentioned, sitting up one can eat, drink, adjust clothing and
even put on or remove a jacket. Beyond that it is relaxing when
riding long distances non stop. All my maximum speed descent are done
in a tucked in position with my hands on the bar stem, essentially
no-handed. That's another benefit on mountain roads in climbing the
next rise.

I often ride the 15 miles on Hwy84 from HWY 5 (Portola Valley) to Hwy1
(San Gregorio beach) on the coast, no-hands when there is no headwind.
If you can do it for 100 yards while turning corners, you can do it
for miles.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...X=87&Y=645&W=3

Work on it or get the bicycle repaired if the steering is binding.

Jobst Brandt
Old June 17th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

bob syr wrote:

Is there any benefit to practice no-handed riding? Does it improve
balance? Would one have better control of the bike? Is it something
I should be bothering with?

The "benefit" for me is that it's fun. I don't ride for any purpose
other than to have fun. I'm not "training" for anything. I enjoy
no-hands riding and do it for long stretches. Once, on a whim, I rode a
30 mile club ride entirely no-hands. I particularly enjoy it riding my
fixer and even off-road in the woods. On that subject, I think there's
no better way to improve bike handling skills than off-road riding.

No-hands riding does improve balance, so does wheelie popping. Balance
seems to decline with age, so I like to keep polishing it. The other
thing that diminishes is reaction time. While to some extent it's purely
biological, like many things there's a use it or lose it dimension. I
like to play video games to exercise it. That's my prescription for
aging seniors -- wheelies & shoot 'em ups.