bike fatality

Old August 20th 11, 11:19 PM posted to misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc
RichD

Default bike fatality

Recently, in San Fran, a pedestrin died from injuries, a day
after getting hit by a bicycle.

How often does this happen? It's a new one on me.

--
Rich
Old August 21st 11, 04:41 AM posted to misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc
richard[_3_]

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:19:00 -0700 (PDT), RichD wrote:

Recently, in San Fran, a pedestrin died from injuries, a day
after getting hit by a bicycle.

How often does this happen? It's a new one on me.

Read the news. Happens fairly frequently. Depends on the circumstances.
Old August 21st 11, 05:51 AM posted to misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Graham[_2_]

RichD wrote:
Recently, in San Fran, a pedestrin died from injuries, a day
after getting hit by a bicycle.

How often does this happen? It's a new one on me.

Well, I hope he was an off-duty bus driver.....
Old August 21st 11, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

This is a good case for mandating helmets to pedestrians.

Remember, the revolution is about so

On Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:19:00 PM UTC-4, RichD wrote:
Recently, in San Fran, a pedestrin died from injuries, a day
after getting hit by a bicycle.

How often does this happen? It's a new one on me.

--
Rich

On Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:19:00 PM UTC-4, RichD wrote:
Recently, in San Fran, a pedestrin died from injuries, a day
after getting hit by a bicycle.

How often does this happen? It's a new one on me.

--
Rich

This makes the case for mandating helmets to pedestrians. Remember, the revolution is about solutions.

Around here they have made a mixed path --pedestrians, dogs and bikes together-- where I have raised this particular point. I may kill a dog anytime.

Old August 22nd 11, 05:56 PM posted to misc.legal,rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Recently, in San Fran, a pedestrin died from injuries,
a day after getting hit by a bicycle.

How often does this happen? It's a new one on me.

Read the news. Happens fairly frequently.

=v= No it does not. When a friend of mine was killed by a
road-raging trucker in San Francisco in the year 2000, an SFPD
officer who wasn't even on the scene (James Bosch) butted into
an newspaper reporter's interview to blame the deceased and to
opine that bicyclists run down pedestrians all the time. So the
reporter went through the SFPD's records and found no fatalities
(there had been two bicyclist/pedestrian collisions that year,
though).

=v= The accesible records go back to 1990, and there have been
no fatalities between then and now. So, for San Francisco, it
appears to be have been 21 years or more since the last time.

=v= By way of comparison, San Francisco is the most dangerous
city for pedestrians on the West Coast thanks to cars, which
kill somebody every 21 *days*. That's not "news," though, so
it doesn't get nearly as much media coverage.
_Jym_

Old August 24th 11, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:02:13 AM UTC-4, Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:
On Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:19:00 PM UTC-4, RichD wrote:
Recently, in San Fran, a pedestrin died from injuries, a day
after getting hit by a bicycle.

How often does this happen? It's a new one on me.

Just happened a couple of weeks ago here in Toronto...

http://www.torontosun.com/news/colum.../11/10421651-s
un.html

Interesting story...

But the article never goes into the issue if there's a SAFE PLACE for a teen to ride his bike. How can they overlook that?

Here 90% of cyclists ride on sidewalks, but some bike lanes are coming. We will see what happens.

ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker! Details released on mountain bike fatality Mike Vandeman Social Issues 1 June 25th 09 11:03 PM
NHTSA publishes 2007 bike fatality data Frank Krygowski[_2_] General 19 December 22nd 08 02:39 AM
Fatality in D.C. C_Axibal General 2 August 10th 05 09:55 PM
Atlanta bike fatality Rivermist General 109 September 13th 04 06:23 PM
Fatality in D.C. Badger_South General 90 August 17th 04 05:28 AM