Anyone ever hit a pedestrian?

Old November 9th 04, 08:55 PM
greentyres

Default Anyone ever hit a pedestrian?

Well i managed to wipe out a 13 year old schoolkid yesterday!
Was on the normal ride to work and after leaving a busy set of lights
in really heavy traffic i put the gas on (basically to keep in front of
the cars) and looked up to see the daft sod right in front of me. His
mates had ran across the road from the other side, seen me and
obviously got out of the way, he was just following without looking and
BANG!! Hit him really hard, i ended up over the bars and sliding
beautifully down the road in front of all the rush hour traffic (how
dignified). I escaped with a sprained wrist, heavy shoulder bruising a
damaged hydraulic brake lever and rear mech (plus the usual cuts and
bruises) was pretty glad i was on the mountain bike as the road machine
would have come off second best i feel.
Did manage to send him on his way in an ambulance though.
Thing is i would call this a "cheap" incident and was glad i didnt hit
an oncoming car or anything else for that matter, just wondered has
anyone else clattered a member of the public and if so could you be up
in court for it?
He admitted to the police he was completely at fault as he was in the
road and not looking, i however, have to find other ways to get to work
as my wrist hurts so much as does the rest of me!!
********

--
greentyres
Old November 9th 04, 09:04 PM
elyob

There's plenty of people I've come across that I've wanted to hit. Not just
pedestrians.

Old November 9th 04, 09:07 PM
Pete Biggs

greentyres wrote:
Well i managed to wipe out a 13 year old schoolkid yesterday!
Was on the normal ride to work and after leaving a busy set of lights
in really heavy traffic i put the gas on (basically to keep in front
of the cars) and looked up to see the daft sod right in front of me.

/snip

Don't you think it's a good idea to look out for pedestrians before
they're right in front of you?

~PB

Old November 9th 04, 09:14 PM
Adrian Boliston

"greentyres" wrote:

[...]

Yep, about 15 years ago I hit a lad aged about 10 who ran into the road
without warning after coming out of his school, and I was doing about 30mph
and I literally went *flying* through the air!

The thing that surprised me was the *force* of the impact, but the most
painful bit was actually landing with a *thud* on the hard tarmac and
busting my collarbone as a result.

I remember worrying that I'd actually wiped the lad out, as he was just
lying still in the road, but he must have just been stunned by the impact as
he started to pick himself up after a few seconds, and we both ended up in
casualty thanks to a teacher at the school who looked after what was left of
my bike and took us there in his car.

The forks and wheel were destroyed and I got it all got replaced on my
parent's home insurance, which paid for a nice new muddy fox mountain bike!

It has certainly made me more cautious than I might otherwise have been.

Old November 9th 04, 09:24 PM
Clive George

"greentyres" wrote in
message ...

Well i managed to wipe out a 13 year old schoolkid yesterday!
Was on the normal ride to work and after leaving a busy set of lights
in really heavy traffic i put the gas on (basically to keep in front of
the cars) and looked up to see the daft sod right in front of me.

Well, now you know to look where you're going. As does he - but you could
have avoided all your pain quite easily, let alone his.

I've hit two pedestrians - quite a long time ago though, in my more yobby
days. Both stepped out in front of me while I was riding along. In both
cases everybody was ok, and we just went our separate ways.

clive

Old November 9th 04, 09:44 PM
MSeries

no

"greentyres" wrote in
message ...

Old November 9th 04, 09:45 PM
Simonb

Adrian Boliston wrote:

a lad aged about 10 who ran into the
road without warning

What? He didn't shout, "I am now running into the road!"
;-)

Old November 9th 04, 09:52 PM
peter.kidwell

in really heavy traffic i put the gas on (basically to keep in front of
the cars) and looked up to see the daft sod right in front of me.

It's this statement that makes me think if you were looking you could have
avoided the collision
Pedestrians always have the right of way.
You could be? totally at fault in a court of law.

Old November 9th 04, 10:02 PM
Sniper8052(L96A1)

greentyres wrote:
Snip
Thing is i would call this a "cheap" incident and was glad i didnt hit
an oncoming car or anything else for that matter, just wondered has
anyone else clattered a member of the public and if so could you be up
in court for it?

There are two offences under the road traffic act.

1)Reckless cycling.

A person who rides a cycle on a road recklessly is guilty of an
offence.In this section "road" includes a bridleway.

Fine: £2500

2)Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.

Fine: £1000

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or
without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is
guilty of an offence.In this section "road" includes a bridleway.

However in this case the accident does not include a motor vehicle so it
is not an accident that is reportable under the road traffic act.

I am not aware of any UK law similar to Jay-walking but it might be a
good idea.

It would be for the injured pedestrian to claim that you were cycling
carelessly. Although this is not an accident per-sae and no police
investigation would be required if police were called they might take
notes and proceed if they were satisfied that an offence had taken
place. If the police were not called that would not be an offence as no
'accident' had taken place and no duties were imposed on either side to
exchange details.

What you do if the other party refuses to give his details I can't
think. Even as a police officer I would have no power to demand details
from the pedestrian for a road traffic offence. Hmmmm you've asked a
question I have not thought of or about before...Nice one.

Ways and Means act coming up I think.

Offence from pedestrian of criminal damage...without lawful excuse
destroys or damages property belonging to another... intending to
destroy or damage such property or being RECKLESS as to whether any such
property shall be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

The pedestrian is RECKLESS as to whether property will be damaged or
destroyed as he did not look into the roadway to make certain it was
safe to cross or having looked was RECKLESS in proceeding.

Yes that's a good one, I shall have to do some research. Better still I
can set it as a question to my probationers.

Cheers!

Sniper8052

Ontario Helmet Law being pushed through Chris B. General 1379 February 9th 05 04:10 PM
Ontario Helmet Law being pushed through Chris B. Social Issues 1160 February 8th 05 10:42 PM
Cyclist & Pedestrian Tony Raven UK 22 July 24th 04 08:38 PM
Pedestrian crossing questions anonymous coward UK 2 March 23rd 04 12:39 AM
I'm a pedestrian in Washington iunicycle Unicycling 8 November 3rd 03 02:56 AM