Lemond / Armstrong relationship (was end of interview.)

Old August 9th 03, 06:17 PM
never_doped

Default end of interview.

From everything I can tell and have written about 1988, my results and
those that beat me are on the level. It was unfortunate that I posted
any results at all as it neither adds to or takes away from the argument
and only leaves me open to personal attack and being ID'd. I have no
reason to be bitter as I did my best and did it cleanly. I would like to
take my own record out of the argument. Individuals that have never rode
could analyze the data and understand the issue just as well.

At the time the bigger inequities existed in the selection and political
processes. Frey, Bostick, Sundquist all experienced this despite being
well qualified.

As disturbing as the coaches preferences were was also the actual way
the trials were held. There was a clear window of calm winds in the
9:45-11:15 period at Alkek. All of the long team were placed in this
period despite the rule book clearing stating that they should have rode
last. Those that rode after 12:00 experienced vicous winds and heat.

Old August 9th 03, 09:06 PM
warren

In article , never_doped
wrote:

From everything I can tell and have written about 1988, my results and
those that beat me are on the level. It was unfortunate that I posted
any results at all as it neither adds to or takes away from the argument
and only leaves me open to personal attack and being ID'd.

I only asked about your experience to see if you were anywhere near the
top where drugs alone can be the difference between winning and losing.
The reason I asked who was coaching you was to see if you could have
had better coaching, and yes you could have. And you mentioned that you
worked alot, which is another reason you weren't among the very best.
Now if you had the very best coach, 100% committment to the goal,
genetics like Armstrong and others who are almost that gifted, and you
still couldn't be the best, I'd be more likely to believe that doping
was why you didn't make it to the top. As it was, you were within a few
% in spite of all these handicaps I think those handicaps could explain
the difference.

At the time the bigger inequities existed in the selection and political
processes. Frey, Bostick, Sundquist all experienced this despite being
well qualified.

As disturbing as the coaches preferences were was also the actual way
the trials were held. There was a clear window of calm winds in the
9:45-11:15 period at Alkek. All of the long team were placed in this
period despite the rule book clearing stating that they should have rode
last. Those that rode after 12:00 experienced vicous winds and heat.

There have been many discussions here in RBR in the past about
inequities during the selection process and you won't get any argument
that this is not a big problem.

Related to this, Marty Nothstein had some harsh words about the recent
performance by the US track riders at the Worlds. He also seems to
think his win in NYC was a bit more important than it really was. His
comments are at the VeloNews website.

-WG